94 replies to this topic

#81 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

I grew up watching stuff like Robotech, Voltron, The Transformers, and Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, and I had read Ender's Game by the age of 12, For all the giant robots and forever war, I consider myself to be pretty level-headed. You act like kids exposed to wargames will automatically grow up to be violent mass-murdering psychpaths. I would be worried more about people being raised by negligent parents who don't ever discipline their kids, and raise them to become narcissistic, and entitled pissants who crack under the realities of everyday life.

#82 Necromonger Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

****, I have had 12 year olds tanking raids in WOW. 13 year olds are more mature than the average 40 year olds in most MMOs... Go rent Enders Game.

#83 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

IOW you don't have children or guns or a Battle mechanical but you think you're qualified to decide for others.

Here's a thought....play or don't. Give feedback to PGI. Stow the political stuff of the off topic section.

BTW my 12 yr old drives a 4 wheeler (open cab, truck bed) that can hit 35mph just fine. Oh and he's had his own .22 rifle and a .410 shotgun since he was 11. And yes he keeps them in his room and has ammo for them. Only killed 3 relatives and 5 pets which I think is a pretty good record. He knows murder is wrong and that self defense is good. He also knows that if he fires one of those guns without an approved adults permission or me bleeding out on the floor with a bad guy still moving he won't see them or sit down for a long time.

#84 RangDipkin

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

I agree with OP. When you sign up for this game a PGI representative and a notary public should have to show up to your house to confirm your identity and age.

#85 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

I blame Canada

#86 Ghost of Utopia

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

I dunno I am kinda all over the place on the topic. I mean, when I was 13 my dad let me and a friend go hunt salmon with an old WW II .32 Walther PPK. Neither of us turned into psychos, played lots of D&D, Gamma World and Battletech. So yea just like in MWO I am all over the place on this. I am pretty sure some peoples brains are wired in such a way that in a certain upbringing they kinda.. get a little wonky.
One thing I was thinking of.. and this is a thought not an opinion. What if parents were required to have a certification to have and raise children?
Just random thoughts being random

#87 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,705 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:00 PM

(chuckles) One of my regimental commanders during the AOL/Gamestorm MPBT Solaris era, a Chu-sa for a DMD unit of approx 50ish mechwarriors was a 13 yr old girl in 1997, who was from Georgia taking advanced classes. She was more mature than half of the other commanders who were in their 20s, 30s and 40s.

#88 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:21 PM

As Topic Is Not Really That of BattleTech, Moving this Topic to Off Topic,
Thank You For Your Cooperation,

#89 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:08 PM

We ran around outside and shoot each others with wooden guns and mouth sounds. So playing cops and robbers, or cowboys shooting each others always happened, nowdays just at a pc instead of outside. The tools changed the games didn't

Edited by Lily from animove, 08 May 2017 - 04:57 AM.

#90 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:33 PM

Well I usually tell my son he should not shoot at other humans, but family and friends are ok Posted Image

#91 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:19 AM

View PostPuresin, on 19 April 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

When did i miss the meeting where we all decided to allow children (ages 16 and under in my book) to be playing WAR games?

I thought that we were supposed to be training or preparing children for school and university and life at that age, not preparing to play video games that include war and the total destruction of enemy mechs?

Seriously, I just played a game with a player that I can GARANTEE the child wasn't even of age to have gone through puberty. I know because he corrected me and told me he was a boy not a girl.

Yes i could have misjudged the age but there is definitely a sickness with the world when people are okay with children playing war games.

And people want to judge other cultures for giving weapons to children.......when we do no less but hide behind the statement that "it's just a video game" the only difference would be that in real life it would be scarier, there'd be kick back and true ammo limitations.

I even saw a post from a 13 year old complaining that he can't get logged into the game due to age restrictions. Whats even worse is there were players on there saying yeah he should be let in to the game.

p.s. this is not an attack at PGI. they actually have an age limit on this game. But the fact that I played with a garanteed child means that parents are just signing their kids up to games and violating age limitation. parents shouldn't be allowed to do that. The ones that do should be banned when they are caught.

not to mention the fact that the tier system means that I have to play with children who have NO idea about tactics and just want to run and gun and ruin the game for the rest of us who want to play an actual game instead.

p.p.s. Just saw the age restriction, it is indeed 13. That is seriously wrong. should be 15 with parental permission and proof provided or 16 and up.

13 can't drive a car but is allowed to pilot a mech and run around "killing" enemies. anyone else see the problem here?

It is a computer game.
Be happy its not like in all to many countrys of the world where kids do not play games or are trained, but rather forced to fight in actual wars.
Guide them, teach them, be benevolent and show them what makes them successfull, valuable and honored team members.

And besides learning this trade is better than the two other oldest trades in the world that could be learned over the web all too easy.

Edited by The Basilisk, 05 May 2017 - 12:25 AM.

#92 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:58 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 04 May 2017 - 11:33 PM, said:

Well I usually tell my son he should not shoot at other humans, but family and friends are ok Posted Image

better waste all your money, otherwise one day when he shoots you because he needs the heritage.

#93 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 05 May 2017 - 12:58 AM, said:

better waste all your money, otherwise one day when he shoots you because he needs the heritage.

of course i spend all my money as soon as i get it - otherwise nobody would cry at my grave Posted Image

#94 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:04 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 05 May 2017 - 01:00 AM, said:

of course i spend all my money as soon as i get it - otherwise nobody would cry at my grave Posted Image

good boy, thats how we love our capitalistic consumers.

#95 The Clappalacian

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:11 AM

I was playing TT at 12 in the Boy Scouts. I didn't pick this up until I was 29, but I had my trusty toy tommy gun from.... I don't know, around age 8 or so. And I can't fathom the idea of killing anyone in real life, even as a necessity. So I think it's all irrelevant.

Side note: My 2 year old absolutely LOVES watching me melt robots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users