- - - - -

Which Clan Mech For Sniper Role (Gauss / Er Large Laser)?

24 replies to this topic

#1 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:58 AM

Which Clan mech, in your opinion, is the best in the sniping role? I was thinking about a medium/heavy Clan mech with ECM and some laser / ballistic hardpoints for ER-Lasers and Gauss(es). A clan equivalent of the Cicada would be interesting.
Is the Shadow Cat any good? Should I get a Hellbringer instead?

#2 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:02 AM

That mostly depends on how you look at the speed aspect of the Cicada. In other words, do you want you new mech to be a fast skirmishy-snipey-thing or a snipey-pokey-heavy thing ?

I think the Hellbringer is generally a better mech but since it's a heavy it will play very different to a Cicada. The Shadow Cat on the other hand is very similar to the Cicada (although better than the Cicada IMO due to size/MASC/JJs).

A thing that might help with your decision is, looking up these links:
http://metamechs.com...es/hellbringer/

http://metamechs.com...des/shadow-cat/

These articles are written by a cool dude and they give you an overview of what the chassis is like as well as what kind of builds you can run with it to be effective.

P.S. In terms of raw sniping power I think the Timber Wolf is probably the best, but it doesn't have ECM and the Hellbringer is very, very close.

Edited by Marmon Rzohr, 15 April 2016 - 06:07 AM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

if you want ECM Gauss and ER Lasers then your best option is the Helbringer, it has some high mounted E hardpoints but the B hardpoints are all pretty low

Shadow Cat can do pretty well as a sniper but if you want a Gauss with adiquate ammo and ECM, you will only have 1-2 ER Mediums if you strip some armor.

if you were to drop the ECM requirement the Ebon Jag would be perfect, it has suficent tonage that you can fit 2 gauss with adiquate ammo without stripping much armor, or you could do 1 gauss + 2 ERLarge and some extra heatsinks, mostly in realy high, above cockpit hardpoints with max armor

The Summoner's Jumpjets could overcome the low hardpoint issue, but no ECM and only realy tonage for 1 Gauss and 1ERLL unless you strip armor

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 15 April 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#4 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:35 AM

Shadowcat can use 2 LPL or 2-3 ERL ( 2 recommended ) Gauss on Shadowcat is just silly . ( I personally use 1 LPL+1 ERL just so I can fit 2 more DHS )

Timberwolf has shoulder Omnipod that allows you to put 3 Lasers in high location . You can do 2 or 2+1 LPL combo .

Ebon jaguar can do similar thing that Timberwolf can .

There is really not that many Clan mechs with high mounted lasers or canons . You can get Inner Sphere IIC Hunchy with high mounter Canons or Lasers .

Honestly though Gauss Sniping is gimmicky . You will be better off with 2 ER-PPC if you want burst damage ( just make sure you use ER PPC velocity buff on equipment otherwise its too slow .

Edited by MadCat02, 15 April 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#5 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:57 AM

I know these arent the weapons in question, but a 2x LPL masc shadow cat is very scary. (Asym so your exposure is short)

Mobiliy to reposition after every shot, jump jets to get into crazy position, and masc to peekaboo in and out during every shot.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostMadCat02, on 15 April 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

There is really not that many Clan mechs with high mounted lasers or canons . You can get Inner Sphere IIC Hunchy with high mounter Canons or Lasers .

The HBK-IIC is a Clan Mech not IS
The IICs are Clan redesigns of IS Battlemechs.

#7 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

If you do choose the Shadowcat, be warned: It suffers from some pretty serious hardpoint starvation. It's pretty difficult to make an effective 'mech out of it. The best thing I've been able to do with it is 3 SRM6 and 2 ER Medium Lasers. The MASC allows you to really run up on someone, splat them, and then get out before you can get eaten alive by the rest of their team. Before I discovered the wonders of SRMs I was running my Shadowcat with 2 Large Pulse Lasers and 1 ER Medium Laser. It was... meh... it performed well enough for me to maintain a positive KDR in it but it was... a difficult thing to pilot...

Edited by Mole, 15 April 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#8 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:12 PM

I run two of my shadowcats as snipers... one with ERLL + ERPPC and the other as Gauss + ERML. I have a lot more fun with the former than the later. Really gauss is only useful for otherwise high heat output mechs in the heavy/assault categories as far as the clans go due to a lack of any good ballistic quirks. Its only advantage over an I.S. gauss is size/weight. It doesn't shoot any faster, any further, or anymore damage.

#9 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:17 PM

I know that Gauss insn't an OP weapon, but I am having a lot of fun with the Marauder hero, the Bounty Hunter, with a Gauss and dual ER-PPCs so I was trying to find a similar configuration in a clan mech (I have no clan mech right now), at least for one of the three variant to master.
I'd like to add ECM and a little more speed to the mix (BH2 is a tough mech but it's capped at 69 kph and is a bit slow for re-positioning).
Probabily I'll throw ECM away and I'll end up buying a Timberwolf or Ebon Jaguar...
5 millions in the bank, another 10 to go Posted Image

Thanks!

Edited by invernomuto, 17 April 2016 - 07:55 AM.

#10 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

A lot of it comes down to geometry, and the presence/lack of ECM. HBR, TBR, and EBJ, are all good at Gauss/ERLL or Gauss/ERPPC sniping, and any one of them can run a single Gauss with 2 ERPPCs or LPLs, and with THREE ERLLs.

TBR does the THREE ERLLs best, IMO, because of that wonderful TBR-A omnipod putting them WAY up high. But that puts the Gauss a little below cockpit level, which may not be optimal, ESPECIALLY if you want an experience similar to the MAD Gauss/PPC. The EBJ can get a Gauss and a pair of LPL, ERPPC, or ERLL, all way up high ABOVE the cockpit and pretty much anything else. It's WIDE, but you'll probably want to strip the arms down anyway. With two fewer locked heat sinks than the TBR, though, you'll more or less have effectively two fewer tons and four fewer critical slots to work with. And then there's the HBR, which (IMO) doesn't do the snipey bit as well as either due to generally low hardpoint placement, but which brings ECM into the picture. You can get ONE ERLL just above the head, and the torso hard points are decent enough--not HIGH, and BELOW cockpit level, but not stupidly LOW either. You CAN go full-on asymmetric with it, too. (HBR-B LA, HBR-PRIME LT, HBR-A H) It puts the Gauss in an ARM, but w/e. You get two decently-high ERLLs and a corner-peeking Gauss, or just corner-peeking LPL/Gauss or PPC/Gauss. WITH ECM. Not BAD.

SHC seriously just doesn't have the tonnage available to load Gauss up next to anything else without stripping TOO much armor. It CAN snipe with dual ERLLs and a backup weapon, or with dual ERPPC (a LITTLE bit toasty, but manageable). Of course, you can get better ERPPC velocity with a TC, but then that pulls DHS out of your build, and you kinda NEED those with the hot-as-you-know-what cERPPCs.

My suggestion? Timberwolf. As long as we're talking about a double-digit investment in a heavy sniper, may as well be the best heavy in the game (it's still in the top few, at least) and have options to do pretty much ANYTHING (dual Gauss, LRMs, mid-range, brawler, laser brawler, hybrid brawler, dakka, just about anything at all). Want JJs? Sure. Here you go with your TBR-S torsos. 81.0 km/h fresh out of the box. Lots of tonnage and armor to play with. It's just such a wonderful mech...

TL;DR- Get Timber Wolves. Wreck stuff.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:19 AM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 16 April 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

My suggestion? Timberwolf. As long as we're talking about a double-digit investment in a heavy sniper, may as well be the best heavy in the game (it's still in the top few, at least) and have options to do pretty much ANYTHING (dual Gauss, LRMs, mid-range, brawler, laser brawler, hybrid brawler, dakka, just about anything at all). Want JJs? Sure. Here you go with your TBR-S torsos. 81.0 km/h fresh out of the box. Lots of tonnage and armor to play with. It's just such a wonderful mech...

TL;DR- Get Timber Wolves. Wreck stuff.

if you do this just be warned you will be a primary target for the enemy team, the biggest downside of the TBR is its reputation, the TBR, EBJ, MAD and WHM are in my opinion all about equal as the top Mechs in the game, but if a Lance consisting of those 4 Mechs walks around the corner into range of an enemy firing line the TBR will almost definately be focus fired to death first solely due to its reputation.
I am not saying do not take a Timber Wolf but just factor the above into the decision

#12 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:22 AM

It's a fair bit heavier (and pricier) than what you were originally after, but I got Warhawks this week and I've been having a surprisingly good time in a long ranged build. 2 ERLL on one arm, gauss rifle on the other, LRM15 in the centre torso for early game harassment (which works because I'm still rotting in tier 5) and a targeting computer for that zoom and crit-chance bonus. Looks something like this WHK-B

#13 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:44 AM

NOT a TBR.

It's a waste of the TBR if anyone plans on just sitting back. Not only does the TBR not have ECM, it's a waste of the team's tonnage and armor. A TBR is meant to be on the frontlines wrecking face. It's also not fast enough to get out of trouble if caught out and/or reposition.

If you want to play a sniping role, you need something fast, with ECM, maneuverable, to fire and displace.

There's honestly no better "sniper" on the Clan side than the Shadowcat. MASC to go fast, ECM for ninja, crazy jump capability to get you to hard to reach sniping positions. 2x LPL or ERLLas or ERPPCs all work well, IF you know what you are doing.

ERPPCs run hot, but give you the least exposure time. (important for sniping), and don't really give away your position if people aren't paying attention. (it's kind of hard to miss the 1.5s burn on ERLLas and the bling bling of LPLs).
you can even poptart when terrain allows.

HBRs are good, but they run better mid range with 2xLPL/3xMLas than pure sniping.

#14 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:42 AM

If you want to snipe WITH gauss and an ERLL or ERPPC together, under ECM cover then you're only choice really is a hellbringer. While the arm ballistic/energy mounts are too loo for the hill crest sniper tactic, they're perfectly fine for stepping around corners. One of the hellbringer heads even has a energy hardpoint that'll accept an ERLL and fires from above your cockpit, which is as high as a hardpoint goes on that mech. The ECM capable left torso omnipod has three energy hardpoints well placed for grouping as you sneak around the corner and the top most one is about the same level as the cockpit. The right torsos with ballistics have one at the same level as the cockpit and the other slightly below. Don't forget the targeting computer and 4x zoom module. A Mk3 computer increases projectile speed by 15% and beam range by 6%. You should also run an active probe, both for the extra radar range (which the TC will increase) as well as providing radar contacts for your teammates to shoot at, while you are sniping from further away.

Edited by Dee Eight, 18 April 2016 - 08:46 AM.

#15 Jaster Me Reel

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

I slapped 5 ER Large lasers on the Warhawk. Good for cooler maps and great range.

#16 Tango Foxtr0t

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAnonymous

Posted 29 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

Marauder IIC-D. 2xGauss + 2xERLargeLasers + 2xSSRM4's. ECM, XL 320. pretty damn effective sniper, although a bit on the slow side. I could give up the 2 SSRM's for a faster engine, but it's nice to have when you get ambushed by enemy light and they don't expect streaks. Dual gauss, dual erlargelasers, dual streaks and ecm. What's not to like?

Edited by Tango Foxtr0t, 29 April 2017 - 10:29 PM.

#17 Hank Wildcarde

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:48 PM

One of the few mechs I enjoy in a sniper configuration is the Huntsman - you can use all Prime omnipods if budget is an issue or can be slightly optimised with other omnipods.

You get:
- A high mounted double ERLL side torso
- A nice punch of 4 or 5 SPLs to protect yourself at close range or simply jump into the fight with
- Ample heat sinks for either long range or close range extended fire (although it will struggle if you continuously alpha)
- Adequate speed
- AMS to keep you safer at range
- JJs for pop-tarting and nice re-positioning
- A fairly small profile which limits return fire
- You are effective at all ranges and can give that light who thinks "easy meat sniper" a nice surprise when he sneaks up on you Posted Image

You sacrifice:
- Extreme speed (87.1 KPH is certainly not in the Cicada's league!)
- ECM (Would be nice but I found I did nicely without it)

Prime Omnipod Only Loadout:

2 ERLLs (Left Torso), 4 SPLs (2 in Left Arm, 2 in Right Arm), AMS (Left Torso), AMS Ammo (Left Leg), Targeting Computer 1 Right Leg, 9 DHS, Both Lower Arm Actuators, Max Armour

This can be slightly uprated by adding HMN-B Right Arm:

2 ERLLs (Left Torso), 5 SPLs (2 in Left Arm, 3 in Right Arm), AMS (Left Torso), AMS Ammo (Left Leg), Targeting Computer 1 Right Leg, 8 DHS, Left Lower Arm Actuator only, Max Armour

A less tangible advantage is that in my experince Huntsmen are rarely priority targets unless they are SRM/Streak boating so you should live a bit longer too! Posted Image

EDIT: Whoops! Didn't realise the OP was April 2016 Posted Image

Edited by Hank Wildcarde, 30 April 2017 - 12:24 AM.

#18 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:28 AM

such a empty ended question
a question like this will get you personal opinion and favoritism remarks...

The best is what ever you can pilot... They all feel different.

Guass has taken a beating lately.. the critical chance was reduce last year... and its basically worthless
The er Large, and large pulse laser are the more predominate types of sniping, also the ER and PPC

since The omni pods are switchable, Id suggest looking at the speed... since your not going to be changing that @ all...

#19 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:31 AM

View PostHank Wildcarde, on 29 April 2017 - 11:48 PM, said:

One of the few mechs I enjoy in a sniper configuration is the Huntsman - you can use all Prime omnipods if budget is an issue or can be slightly optimised with other omnipods.

You get:
- A high mounted double ERLL side torso
- A nice punch of 4 or 5 SPLs to protect yourself at close range or simply jump into the fight with
- Ample heat sinks for either long range or close range extended fire (although it will struggle if you continuously alpha)
- Adequate speed
- AMS to keep you safer at range
- JJs for pop-tarting and nice re-positioning
- A fairly small profile which limits return fire
- You are effective at all ranges and can give that light who thinks "easy meat sniper" a nice surprise when he sneaks up on you Posted Image

You sacrifice:
- Extreme speed (87.1 KPH is certainly not in the Cicada's league!)
- ECM (Would be nice but I found I did nicely without it)

Prime Omnipod Only Loadout:

2 ERLLs (Left Torso), 4 SPLs (2 in Left Arm, 2 in Right Arm), AMS (Left Torso), AMS Ammo (Left Leg), Targeting Computer 1 Right Leg, 9 DHS, Both Lower Arm Actuators, Max Armour

Interesting build... May I ask the reason for TC1?

#20 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:52 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 30 April 2017 - 12:31 AM, said:

Interesting build... May I ask the reason for TC1?

It boosts critical chances for lasers, quite often used.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users