Best Way To Recruit Players For A Unit Atm?

Gameplay Social

26 replies to this topic

#1 Swagpanda89

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 278 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Location77th Black Wolves

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

Hey people,

in your opinion:

What is the best way to get some reinforcements from the NA primetime for my unit with mostly european players?

Is there a subforum on reddit? Or should we even consider to do some streams to get some more players into the unit? Because atm not many players are attracted by the recruiting page inside the official mwo forum...

Any opinions are welcome!

#2 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

Just offer us real cash money.

That usually works...

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:20 AM

Have several of your unit run drops on various public teamspeak servers with strangers. You'll pick up folks here and there from that.

#4 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 24 April 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

Just offer us real cash money.

That usually works...

Well the site is call mwomercs.com

So yeah OP, what do you need and more importantly whats the pay rate?

#5 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

Speaking as someone who is looking for a new unit, the following things would make that easier:

1. Constantly update your recruitment thread on the forums.

Be specific on what type of player you are looking for and what you have to offer.

Be very clear on what you expect from your recruits.

Have a VERY easy way for you, some unit-mates and the prospective player to meet-up in game so you can get a feel for each other.

2. Have an alternate forum for your players with a general area so that prospective members and current members can interact and, a prospective player can get a feeling for your unit outside of the official forums.

Speaking as a former unit leader, I found that playing in QP matches and watching for skilled players, or players who displayed some quality or talent I thought would fit with our unit then engaging them to come drop with us in a more organized way. Many people would not venture out to seek a unit because they don't know how much better the game is with one so that first 'out-stretched hand' can be a real help.

Edited by nehebkau, 24 April 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#6 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 24 April 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Speaking as someone who is looking for a new unit, the following things would make that easier:

Be specific on what type of player you are looking for and what you have to offer.

Have a VERY easy way for you, some unit-mates and the prospective player to meet-up in game so you can get a feel for each other.

2. Have an alternate forum for your players with a general area so that prospective members and current members can interact and, a prospective player can get a feeling for your unit outside of the official forums.

Speaking as a former unit leader, I found that playing in QP matches and watching for skilled players, or players who displayed some quality or talent I thought would fit with our unit then engaging them to come drop with us in a more organized way. Many people would not venture out to seek a unit because they don't know how much better the game is with one so that first 'out-stretched hand' can be a real help.

I tried looking for a unit several months ago, gave up though because there wasn't an easy system that I could find. I don't mind using TS once I find a unit, but I'm not going to browse through TS channels to hunt a unit.

However, that part about engaging someone you saw in a match... that would work for me. At the least I would look up that unit's webpage and go to their TS channel if invited to see what it's like.

#7 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:57 AM

Well a lot of us in populated units dont like advertising while we're in a drop... It can be tacky. Though we do throw out friend invites to good (and good natured) players and invite them to join the group. That's just easier in a public teamspeak environment.

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostSwagpanda89, on 24 April 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

Hey people,

in your opinion:

What is the best way to get some reinforcements from the NA primetime for my unit with mostly european players?

Is there a subforum on reddit? Or should we even consider to do some streams to get some more players into the unit? Because atm not many players are attracted by the recruiting page inside the official mwo forum...

Unless you are in comp, units don't mean much anymore and the desire to be in one, is the lowest it has been.

Russ and his brilliant FP3 being the main reason for that. It decimated units and people's level of care/interest of the game and the way units worked.

Most people that want to be in units, are, for the most part. There are plenty of 1-10man units and rather than merge, people prefer just to stay "as is" and they just don't care about playing outside that set circle really. Some will chop/change over time and some will for comp / tag reasons but it's not frequent.

So try videos, try streaming, try threads and whatever else - but if you want people, you will just have to ultimately hunt them down.

#9 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 24 April 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

Well a lot of us in populated units dont like advertising while we're in a drop... It can be tacky. Though we do throw out friend invites to good (and good natured) players and invite them to join the group. That's just easier in a public teamspeak environment.

And thus the recruiting conundrum. Most unaffiliated players are in QP, yet groups don't recruit much out of QP because they are reliant on people joining TS. Most players won't join TS when playing QP and so aren't recruited.

#10 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

I think recruitment can come in waves and then pause. In March we brought in several new pilots, but April has been slower. Being a loyalist unit limits our player options, as available players often want to play both sides.

I don't think there is any magic solution, so I think nebekau's advice is as probably as good to go with as anything else. People in units do move on to other units from time to time and new (and bad) players develop into decent players and then start looking for units they can do well in. Play well with who you have, keep your name out there on forums and respond to Hiring hall posts of players you might be interested in adding. You guys have some good players, so others will join.

Just takes time, which is frustrating.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostSwagpanda89, on 24 April 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

Hey people,

in your opinion:

Be Public, like using communal TS channels for drops
Be good at the game
Be vocal leaders in your matches
Don't act like DBags over comms.
Have fun. Let people know you are having fun. People like fun.

You will have interested sorts giving you a look.

Unless you are looking to be an uber-comp oriented unit, in which case, acting like Dbags to the rest of the drop, and not being vocal leaders is apparently the desired approach. Or so various past top tier units would lead one to believe.
Unless you are looking to be an uber-comp oriented unit, in which case, acting like Dbags to the rest of the drop, and not being vocal leaders is apparently the desired approach.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 24 April 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#12 Swagpanda89

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 24 April 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

We usually play CW... and when playing on the european side its hard to get good NA players due to the timezone difference :/
As for the recruiting thread... you may want to have a look and tell me if its okay enough (it has at least 1 boob pic)Posted Image ..

https://mwomercs.com...09#entry5703909

View PostRuar, on 24 April 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

And thus the recruiting conundrum. Most unaffiliated players are in QP, yet groups don't recruit much out of QP because they are reliant on people joining TS. Most players won't join TS when playing QP and so aren't recruited.

So you say: We should do more QPs to get more NA players?

What about unit merging? Anyone done these kind of "recruitings"?

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

View PostSwagpanda89, on 24 April 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

We usually play CW... and when playing on the european side its hard to get good NA players due to the timezone difference :/
As for the recruiting thread... you may want to have a look and tell me if its okay enough (it has at least 1 boob pic)Posted Image ..

CW is not a great place to recruit, because most people doing it...are already in a Unit. And the ones that aren't are generally hard case PUGs.

#14 Swagpanda89

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

CW is not a great place to recruit, because most people doing it...are already in a Unit. And the ones that aren't are generally hard case PUGs.

I guess you are right there :/

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 24 April 2017 - 11:18 AM, said:

I think recruitment can come in waves and then pause. In March we brought in several new pilots, but April has been slower. Being a loyalist unit limits our player options, as available players often want to play both sides.

I don't think there is any magic solution, so I think nebekau's advice is as probably as good to go with as anything else. People in units do move on to other units from time to time and new (and bad) players develop into decent players and then start looking for units they can do well in. Play well with who you have, keep your name out there on forums and respond to Hiring hall posts of players you might be interested in adding. You guys have some good players, so others will join.

Just takes time, which is frustrating.

Hiring Hall people tend to never respond...Posted Image

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 24 April 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

Any advice for a crowded teamspeak, which is public and visited for QP and FP drops?
Since we are mercs we cant switch from loyalist hub to loyalist hub and NGNG Ts was totally dead yesterday.

Edited by Swagpanda89, 24 April 2017 - 11:38 AM.

#15 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:36 AM

I'm saying based on what I've read on the forums there are far more people playing QP than FP. Which means you should have a higher chance of meeting people not in units in QP. If you go into QP during the time you need players and then send some kind of message to the people you think are playing well you might find some who are interested in joining a unit and doing organized group play.

I've done about three drops and I have no intention of going back into that again without an organized unit or until the new tech comes out balancing out the ranges some. It was not fun so I stick to QP. I'm sure there are a lot of other players like me with similar experiences who would join a unit but the game doesn't have an effective method of recruiting built in.

#16 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

There is a 50/50 distribution, from what I see daily, between PUG and Unit players.

Certainly not "most".

So for a start your sig has MercStar in it.

Your screen shots show only ONE unit shot, the other shots are clearly very old and you are with other units.

IMO - It's a bit confusing what you are trying to say/message etc.

Also - When you drop - Use the public hubs. If you sit on places like Strana with a 8-10man in open channels, you will get people dropping buy and joining in. In lower player times that is what I do and can usually rustle up 4-8 mans just by sitting on the active "usual" Hubs like the FRR/Kurita, Strana, Commstar etc.

#17 Swagpanda89

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:03 PM

Maybe scouting would by a way when we are doing cw?

Do you guys think a streamer would help?

#18 Marquis De Lafayette

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostSwagpanda89, on 24 April 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

I guess you are right there :/

Hiring Hall people tend to never respond...Posted Image

Any advice for a crowded teamspeak, which is public and visited for QP and FP drops?
Since we are mercs we cant switch from loyalist hub to loyalist hub and NGNG Ts was totally dead yesterday.

I can only speak for us, but lately most of our new pilots came via the forums (even if they didn't post anything, they came to our TS after seeing a message.

4/5 people don't respond to my response (to their Hiring hall post)..but it's the 1 in 5 that counts. But, yes...frustrating.

There are decent/good pilots available much of the time. We recently got a couple of good players who came back from a break from MWO. Also, speaking from personal experience I was a pilot who came over last year from QP...just got thumped in FW, got some better, still got thumped, good some better...and then started thinking about maybe looking for an actual unit...but no one I was dropping with (even in TS groups on the FRR hub) came right out and asked me if I might be interested, even though my performance was actually pretty decent.

Point is I think we can just assume people won't be interested, so we can be tempted to never ask a pilot (in our FW drop) who looks like they have potential, but aren't "spoken for". I went with Heavy Cavalry (soon after he started 07), because he was helpful to me when I was just starting FW (and just terrible) and was interested in my coming on board when he started the unit months later. No one is offended if we ask if they might be interested...so we try to ask when we remember to do so. It doesn't hurt or cost anything to see if they want to come on TS and do some additional drops with us. Sometimes they say "sure" and end up joining.

I just mention this as a newer unit (since last fall) that has had some success in adding a pilots with some level of talent....for what it's worth.

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 24 April 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#19 Swagpanda89

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 24 April 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

There is a 50/50 distribution, from what I see daily, between PUG and Unit players.

Certainly not "most".

So for a start your sig has MercStar in it.

Your screen shots show only ONE unit shot, the other shots are clearly very old and you are with other units.

IMO - It's a bit confusing what you are trying to say/message etc.

Also - When you drop - Use the public hubs. If you sit on places like Strana with a 8-10man in open channels, you will get people dropping buy and joining in. In lower player times that is what I do and can usually rustle up 4-8 mans just by sitting on the active "usual" Hubs like the FRR/Kurita, Strana, Commstar etc.

Yeah... I guess some more actual pics could help. Signature is changed! And yes Strana is the teamspeak I guess we should visit more frequently.

Thanks for the input there!

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 24 April 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

I can only speak for us, but lately most of our new pilots came via the forums (even if they didn't post anything, they came to our TS after seeing a message.

4/5 people don't respond to my response (to their Hiring hall post)..but it's the 1 in 5 that counts. But, yes...frustrating.

There are decent/good pilots available much of the time. We recently got a couple of good players who came back from a break from MWO. Also, speaking from personal experience I was a pilot who came over last year from QP...just got thumped in FW, got some better, still got thumped, good some better...and then started thinking about maybe looking for an actual unit...but no one I was dropping with (even in TS groups on the FRR hub) came right out and asked me if I might be interested, even though my performance was actually pretty decent.

Point is I think we can just assume people won't be interested, so we can be tempted to never ask a pilot (in our FW drop) who looks like they have potential, but aren't "spoken for". I went with Heavy Cavalry (soon after he started 07), because he was helpful to me when I was just starting FW (and just terrible) and was interested in my coming on board when he started the unit months later. No one is offended if we ask if they might be interested...so we try to ask when we remember to do so. It doesn't hurt or cost anything to see if they want to come on TS and do some additional drops with us. Sometimes they say "sure" and end up joining.

I just mention this as a newer unit (since last fall) that has had some success in adding a pilots with some level of talent....for what it's worth.

Yes... I guess we should just ask people more often or tell them the teamspeak infos... but CW seems all in all not very good as a recruiting platform due to most players inside of units already.

Edited by Swagpanda89, 24 April 2017 - 12:46 PM.

#20 mouser42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • Locationb-more

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

FREE BEER!!!!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users