#21 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:48 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 24 April 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

The Howler, even without it's Catapult ear, is, volume-wise, much larger than the Piranha, thus meaning that it would be smaller in-game. Also, the Howler has nothing but torso-mounted weaponry, and the 3's PPC mount is nowhere near as obnoxious as the other variant's missileboxes.

Except when the Howler does get hit it'll be mostly torso shots which negates it's relatively minor advantage. They're both 20 tons, they'll both be more or less Locust sized. (BTW LastKhan finished his Howler https://mwomercs.com...d/page__st__100 )

The Howler would be the better sniper and missile carrier but it's so wide it'd lose torsos easily.

Let's not forget that the Piranha's arms are relatively big and would mainly serve as shields.

#22 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:31 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 24 April 2017 - 10:32 PM, said:

Just equip a more reasonable number of MGs/Energy. It still has Clan tech, it'd be at least as good as the Locust.

Not remotely the point being made.

Point is the "OP" worries seem to be overlooking the realities that even if it had 100 hardpoints... it's still 20 tons. It may indeed be as good as a Locust...so what? There is a reason that you seldom see more than 6 SPLs on a light mech... it still gets hot. So it's not like we are going to see 15 ERSL Piranhas dominating the universe. 12 MGs? Sounds good... but to be worth a damn, you need 5-6 tons of ammo. (1 ton for every 2 MG) So again.... tonnage keeps the OMAHGERD OP! from being a reality.

At worst... what.... 15 Micro lasers? Mebbe?

View PostCurccu, on 24 April 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

Might be reasonable to swap those ERML+ERSL to micro lazors to get more ammo.

With stock engine... you end up with 6.5 tons of weapons and ammo. If one goes up to a 200 or thereabout, you end up with 5.5 tons.

12 MG use up 3 of those tons. At best you end up with what.... 2 tons or so for ammo? It'll be empty after one kill.

#23 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

With stock engine... you end up with 6.5 tons of weapons and ammo. If one goes up to a 200 or thereabout, you end up with 5.5 tons.

12 MG use up 3 of those tons. At best you end up with what.... 2 tons or so for ammo? It'll be empty after one kill.

Yes that 6,5 tons with XL190 which is locust max speed and "should" be sufficient ;)
But yes with 3x Mircropulse you can have those 12xMG with 2 tons of ammo (33+ seconds for nonstop dakka) = ~12 DPS + Micro pulses , and doesn't overheat.... should be able to **** few assault mechs with capable pilot.

#24 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:05 AM

I see the Prianha as something like the Urbi.Its there for the fun, not realy effective in its stock loadout but you can have these cool WTF moments where you come around the corner and kill someone but you will be killed 90% of the time too.

Let people have some fun once in a while with rediculuse builds/mechs.

#25 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:06 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 25 April 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

---the Urbi.Its there for the fun, not realy effective in its stock loadout---

Posted Image

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

View PostCurccu, on 24 April 2017 - 11:55 PM, said:

Yes that 6,5 tons with XL190 which is locust max speed and "should" be sufficient Posted Image
But yes with 3x Mircropulse you can have those 12xMG with 2 tons of ammo (33+ seconds for nonstop dakka) = ~12 DPS + Micro pulses , and doesn't overheat.... should be able to **** few assault mechs with capable pilot.

33 seconds? You may get to peel 2 potatoes, or one competent pilot... though of course, all the "Goods" do run around with naked Bums, so they may actually be MORE vulnerable to the dread little brother of the 6MG spider! (which would be an ironic and hilarious twist)

#27 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:03 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 25 April 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

I see the Prianha as something like the Urbi.Its there for the fun, not realy effective in its stock loadout but you can have these cool WTF moments where you come around the corner and kill someone but you will be killed 90% of the time too.

Let people have some fun once in a while with rediculuse builds/mechs.

I have no idea why some people don't see potential of the Piranha, it's nothing like Urbie (and don't get me wrong I have Urbies and I like them), Locust fast or faster with more firepower than locust... why would it be only fun/joke mech?

Edited by Curccu, 25 April 2017 - 02:03 AM.

#28 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:14 AM

Same reason why people seam to see the Urbie as a joke mech. I love playing them and its my only light mech I have keept. Still when looking at the stock version, they both aren't that good. The Piranha has basicly no armor and a lucky shoot might kill you while the Urbie is just soo slow.

Beside that, I also see the Piranha as a valid mech with lots of options from serious play with a setup similar to ArcticCheater and Locust to just take the 12MG version and do the "Leroy"
Thats why I would totaly vote for it, its NOT just another "meta" mech but something you can have fun with too.

Also Piranha Games <-> Piranha....just screams to do this at least as a "Hero" mech...with Russ as the Pilot ^_^

Edited by Nesutizale, 25 April 2017 - 02:15 AM.

#29 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:22 AM

12 MG deals more DPS than 3xCUAC5, while costing 0 heat--now double that against exposed structures. Piranha is gonna be nightmare incarnate during mid-late game.

#30 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:32 AM

They do need to apply some brakes to the area of hardpoint bloat rather than charge into it full force, and 12 hardpoints on a 150kph mech sounds pretty darn bloated.

#31 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:43 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 25 April 2017 - 02:32 AM, said:

They do need to apply some brakes to the area of hardpoint bloat rather than charge into it full force, and 12 hardpoints on a 150kph mech sounds pretty darn bloated.

Its canon loadout. There is no way PGI is gonna nerf hardpoint amount. Nova already has more than 12 hardpoints, way back in 2014.

#32 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:44 AM

Upcoming ACH and MLX CB addition in July? can be built with:
ACH: 6B+2E+ECM / 8B+1E+ECM / 8B+2E
MLX: 8B+4E

#33 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:59 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 April 2017 - 02:43 AM, said:

Its canon loadout. There is no way PGI is gonna nerf hardpoint amount. Nova already has more than 12 hardpoints, way back in 2014.

The 150kph part of the sentence was pretty vital there, novas don't exactly go 150kph, But yes I agree the nova is an example of hardpoint bloat overall for sure.

The first responder to the OP mentioned how paper it would technically be, but like with the even more so paper nature of the speedy mechs like the locust for example, it has been proven they have a level of inherent tankiness that can even supersede larger mechs circumstantially.

Also what works for an advancing TT/P&P lore that works on a timeline (and has editions?) doesn't necessarily work for this specific variation of the game though, so that logic (of theirs I guess) has flaws and is very wasteful of their own resources.

View PostCurccu, on 25 April 2017 - 02:44 AM, said:

Upcoming ACH and MLX CB addition in July? can be built with:
ACH: 6B+2E+ECM / 8B+1E+ECM / 8B+2E
MLX: 8B+4E

Posted Image

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 25 April 2017 - 03:00 AM.

#34 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:42 AM

Why reject our terrifying lord and savior, for such mediocre mech like the Howler.

Posted Image

Just accept the Piranha, and offer him your legs and Rear CT as sacrifice.

Edited by Battlemaster56, 25 April 2017 - 03:43 AM.

#35 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:42 AM

Okay, okay, okay, so I'm playing devils advocate - I have no problems opening my wallet for the Pirahna (even if it smells of Clam). I'll be nom-nom-nomming all over those slow potatoes.

The real issue is If the quirks on similar mechs with fewer hard points balance out the mechs with gobs of hard points and less/no quirks. I think LCT, COM and SDR all need to be brought up to 6 (or so) hard points each - I mean MLX = 12, COM = 4?

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 April 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

Point is the &quot;OP&quot; worries seem to be overlooking the realities that even if it had 100 hardpoints... it's still 20 tons. It may indeed be as good as a Locust...so what? There is a reason that you seldom see more than 6 SPLs on a light mech... it still gets hot. So it's not like we are going to see 15 ERSL Piranhas dominating the universe. 12 MGs? Sounds good... but to be worth a damn, you need 5-6 tons of ammo. (1 ton for every 2 MG) So again.... tonnage keeps the OMAHGERD OP! from being a reality.

But, but but... hard points inflations haz doom!
The Pirahna is OP, but only for about 15 seconds....

My one request will be for the hero to have 12 missile hard points.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 25 April 2017 - 06:00 AM.

#36 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:51 AM

I know you should all just wait for the Mist Lynx G to drop.
8 Ballistic slots and New Tech.
See what happens then.

#37 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

Why? That's how many weapons it packs.

It's a 20t mech. Why is lots of hardpoints a problem?

It's not even a problem on the Nova, with 50t for heat sinks/ammo, why would it be a problem on a 20t mech?

You need to back up your assertion with some form of reasoning, not just "It had too many hardpoints". Why is that bad?

Lots of hardpoints make it unique and offer build variety. Take the Nova. What makes it unique vs. the bulk of 50t Mechs is that it has the option to run lots of small weapons. This doesn't make it stronger (tonnage limits and heat management being a thing) it just makes it different.

The piranha is the same. Sure, it's got zounds of hardpoints, but lacks the tonnage to really exploit them in a meaningful way. You'll be able to run lots of MG or Microlasers, but you're operating at EXTREMELY close range to do that, and it's still not terribly threatening, and heat/ammo is a severe limitation even there.

So, be specific: how is lots of hardpoints a problem in these cases?

#38 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

Does the Urbie make sense? No!
Did people shut up about it? No, and here it is!
Will I shut up about the Piranha? Hell No!

#39 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 25 April 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

Why? That's how many weapons it packs.

It's a 20t mech. Why is lots of hardpoints a problem?

It's not even a problem on the Nova, with 50t for heat sinks/ammo, why would it be a problem on a 20t mech?

You need to back up your assertion with some form of reasoning, not just "It had too many hardpoints". Why is that bad?

Lots of hardpoints make it unique and offer build variety. Take the Nova. What makes it unique vs. the bulk of 50t Mechs is that it has the option to run lots of small weapons. This doesn't make it stronger (tonnage limits and heat management being a thing) it just makes it different.

The piranha is the same. Sure, it's got zounds of hardpoints, but lacks the tonnage to really exploit them in a meaningful way. You'll be able to run lots of MG or Microlasers, but you're operating at EXTREMELY close range to do that, and it's still not terribly threatening, and heat/ammo is a severe limitation even there.

So, be specific: how is lots of hardpoints a problem in these cases?

Because hardpoint bloat for the game MWO is just another aspect of powercreep that is edging out the vast majority of mechs as viable choices? Because mechs 1/5 the size of an Atlas with twice as many guns is a bit weird? Because we both know that, like the nova, it will become the supreme mech at its role with those loadout potentials? Because it is more tunnel vision, boat style build promotion?

IDK probably some more good reasons and lots of little ones too. Mainly the first one, as I said originally it isn't so much about the piranha specifically, it is just coming up as another example of hardpoint bloating in general, which raises damage/dps potentials overall (adds to powercreep).

#40 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 25 April 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

Because hardpoint bloat for the game MWO is just another aspect of powercreep that is edging out the vast majority of mechs as viable choices? Because mechs 1/5 the size of an Atlas with twice as many guns is a bit weird? Because we both know that, like the nova, it will become the supreme mech at its role with those loadout potentials? Because it is more tunnel vision, boat style build promotion?

Except it doesn't? More weapons != power creep, as there are other limits too.

"Boat style build promotion": That's Battletech. There are LOTS of mechs designed around boating, and that's not a bad thing.
"Become the supreme mech at it's role": What role is that, exactly? If it's something as specific as "killing mechs that are already nearly dead" then sure, it'll be pretty good at that.... except that it's a 20t light with minimal armor, 30s of ammo, and a ~100m effective weapons range. A mech being good at a very specific thing isn't bad.

"Have more weapons than an Atlas": Sure. Lots of mechs have more weapons than an Atlas. More weapons != more firepower. It's not like you're going to be mounting a UAC20, 4ASRM6, and some lasers on that Piranha. Hell, you'll notice many assault builds still don't use all their hardpoints. More hardpoints give more options, but not necessarily more power. A 12E Piranha can't come anywhere close to the usable firepower of a 6E Cheetah, for example. Those 10 tons make a tremendous difference.
"powercreep" ... But the Piranha isn't going to be even a strong light. What specific build do you think is going to cause power creep? 12 MG's with 33s worth of ammo? That's reasonably high DPS against one opponent, that requires 100% face time in a 20t mech (read: Death sentence if he so much as glances sideways at you). The Piranha will be comfortably in Urbie territory where it's a competent and fun mech, but one that isn't going to be in the T1 list.

IDK probably some more good reasons and lots of little ones too. Mainly the first one, as I said originally it isn't so much about the piranha specifically, it is just coming up as another example of hardpoint bloating in general, which raises damage/dps potentials overall (adds to powercreep).
"hardpoint bloating" isn't a thing. There's hardpoint multiplication on some older IS mechs (due to them having so few) but that's kind of necessary to avoid them having hard limits on firepower that force them below lots of other mechs that have more options. Again, more hardpoints alone doesn't directly coorelate to more firepower, as you need to have the tonnage and space to use those hardpoints.

Take the Nova. Most of it's best builds see far fewer weapons mounted than how many it's actually capable of mounting. Hell, take a look at Metamechs, and tell me how many Nova's there use all their potential weapons. One build has 11, the rest less. You can run 16 hardpoints on a Nova, but it's objectively bad at using them. It's got up to 16 though, which gives it interesting capabilities for fun builds - but those builds aren't power creeping anything as they're simply weaker builds.

Now, slapping 16 hardpoints on a bigger mech can be an issue, to be sure, but more hardpoints on their own does not make something better. There are a lot of interacting limits.

Power creep is an issue, but just because something has more hardpoints doesn't mean it's contributing to power creep.

Put it the other way around. If the KDK-3 had only it's 4B hardpoints, would it be weaker than an AS7-DDC with it's 7?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users