Cooldown Values Too Low.

16 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:00 PM

I understand you're trying to reverse power creep here PGI.

However, for certain weapons, a 5% difference in cooldown is very frustrating to relearn in exchange for having a minuscule impact on DPS. I will pour half my EXP into the weapon tree, just PLEASE give clans back the magic 12% and give the IS 15%.

#2 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

While it will take some time to get used to the new numbers, it's needed in order to slow down gameplay. You should also look at the fact mechs are going to run hotter so having an slower fire rate is needed to help avoid overheating.

#3 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

View PostRuar, on 25 April 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

While it will take some time to get used to the new numbers, it's needed in order to slow down gameplay. You should also look at the fact mechs are going to run hotter so having an slower fire rate is needed to help avoid overheating.

5% will do next to nothing when its massive alpha strikes that are killing you.

#4 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:48 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 25 April 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

5% will do next to nothing when its massive alpha strikes that are killing you.

After they fire that massive alpha they will be close to overheating and it will take longer for that heat to bleed off. It's also going to slow down that next alpha strike.

At first people will try to play their current builds, and that will fail. We'll see the size of alpha strikes getting smaller because people will be tired of overheating all the time.

#5 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

View PostRuar, on 25 April 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

After they fire that massive alpha they will be close to overheating and it will take longer for that heat to bleed off. It's also going to slow down that next alpha strike.

At first people will try to play their current builds, and that will fail. We'll see the size of alpha strikes getting smaller because people will be tired of overheating all the time.

Double Gauss Double ERPPC builds will not fall from their position at the top. Their strength is in their alpha strikes, and gauss will mitigate the heat issue significantly. It will not shift the meta away from alpha strikes because alpha and hide doesn't care if you reduce its fire rate by 5%. Builds that really need the user to be familiar with the tempo of the weapon will suffer the most.

My alpha builds are doing just fine on PTS. It's my single PPC mixed build I'm worried about.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 25 April 2017 - 10:03 PM.

#6 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

perhaps like Laser Duration, 10% Clan & 15% IS,
that way IS still gets back more of what it lost and Clan gets back what is gotten with Modules,

#7 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:19 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 25 April 2017 - 10:05 PM, said:

perhaps like Laser Duration, 10% Clan & 15% IS,
that way IS still gets back more of what it lost and Clan gets back what is gotten with Modules,

Well that's what i mean Andi. If you check the cooldown modules on live, they give a 12% bonus. That said, 10% is much more agreeable than 7.7%.

#8 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

Again though....another part of increasing the TTK. This isn't news. Its been known for 2+ months that massive cooldown bonuses were going away under the new tree and re-balance efforts.

#9 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:14 AM

View PostRuar, on 25 April 2017 - 09:48 PM, said:

Or we will see people resorting to more hit and hide tactics instead of brawling. The game is already too much in that direction. Brawling is the most fun for this game.

#10 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:38 AM

Heat issues? Go Gauss. Charge time reduction, mag size increase both make Gauss a lot stronger.
Laser nodes got you down? Go PPC. PPCs benefit from most nodes that benefit ballistics.

Do you like anything other than PPC/Gauss? Well, gotta make cuts in any other tree (such as, not carrying 2 UAV, or less durability, or less mobility...) or you will end up with less nodes that benefit your playstyle.

Cool. Cool. Gauss/PPC it is, with a dash of poptarting, because those nodes saved can easily be invested into JJs now. You can even afford to carry less ammunition tonnage, because, +mag size. What a time to be a meta player.

#11 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:46 AM

View PostRuar, on 25 April 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

I don't want slower game play.

But wait with golden consumables you can pay sink loads of cbills in order to coolshot18 twice and strike twice... I wonder how many alphas and how much damage you will still be able to do if you are cbill rich...

#12 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:56 AM

The two strongest mechs I played yesterday on pts was a classic lpl erml laser vom and believe it or not but a 3LL + AC20 std engine Misery. It was stupid the amount of damage i did and tanked. survival tree is going to give it a good shakeup.

mulched a gauss ppc DS and kodiak in an ac5 uac5 BW too.

then again as unrepresentative paper theory crafting is, test server 4v4 isnt exactly perfect either. Ill wothold judgement untill it hits live.

#13 Shadowspawn42

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:04 AM

The rate of fire change hurts brawlers and helps snipers, pokers, and peekers. My favorite builds all revolve around sustained fire. This change hurts me disproportionately.

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

Not sure, 5% on some ballistics that run cool is a lot, 5% on lasers that run hot after 3 volleys isn't much as you cannot utilise them infinitely in a row.

So cooldowns should depend a bit on weapons heat as well, as the raw % will not turn into real % for some weapon types as for others.

Edited by Lily from animove, 26 April 2017 - 07:42 AM.

#15 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostchucklesMuch, on 26 April 2017 - 04:46 AM, said:

I don't want slower game play.

But wait with golden consumables you can pay sink loads of cbills in order to coolshot18 twice and strike twice... I wonder how many alphas and how much damage you will still be able to do if you are cbill rich...

Consumables provide the same value on PTS whether you purchase with c-bills or MC. There is no difference in the two so you can not say anything about gold consumables providing some kind of advantage. Anyone can get two coolshot by selecting the right nodes.

#16 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

View Postl33tworks, on 26 April 2017 - 04:14 AM, said:

Or we will see people resorting to more hit and hide tactics instead of brawling. The game is already too much in that direction. Brawling is the most fun for this game.

Or we will see actually building better balanced mechs that can sustain their weapons fire.

#17 Shadowspawn42

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Every mech is receiving a 12% cool down nerf. Any mech that is having a cool down quirk removed or lessened is getting even more of a nerf. As has been said, this nerf affects some mechs alot more than others.

Brawling, which is already a borderline play style, will likely cease to be a viable option. Poke and Hide, Snipe, LRM...these are the playstyles which benefit from longer cool downs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users