Can We Get Weight Class Specific Skill Trees?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Big Tin Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

Ok, we've asked for trees specific to mech variants, way to many to do. We've asked for trees specific to mech chassis, because some mechs don't have arms, therefore arm quirks are silly. Nope.

PGI did manage to deliver some minor clan vs. IS percentage changes, it's a start.

Would it be possible to get skill trees tuned per weight class? Something so the lights can feel nimble and quick again without breaking the rest of the classes? It would be 8 separate trees, but I'm just asking for minor overall tweaks to the maximum possible percentages. Some things may not even be worth changing, some could be changed to encourage role warfare (i.e. lights get better sensor nodes).

It doesn't even need to be much, but something to make lights and mediums a bit more meaningful and effective would be nice.

#2 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

They'd probably be better off developing role templates instead of by weight. A Catapult plays different than a Rifleman plays different than a Roughneck even though all are close to the same weight.

Having role templates though would give folks who want to snipe a preset series of nodes to help them get started and they could tweak (lol, not really stupid web design) what they want after they get a better feel for the role.

#3 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Not a bad idea, probably need to keep it to just a handful of roles though:

Scout (+ speed/agility + sensors - firepower - survival)
Sniper (- speed/agility + sensors + firepower - survival)
Brawler (+agility - sensors + survival)
Fire Support (- speed/agility + firepower - survival)
All Arounder/Vanilla

But this is assuming PGI is willing to try it.

Edited by Big Tin Man, 27 April 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#4 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 27 April 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

Not a bad idea, probably need to keep it to just a handful of roles though:

Scout
Sniper
Brawler
Fire Support
All Arounder/Vanilla

But this is assuming PGI is willing to try it.

They should actually provide as many roles as people want to play. No real need to limit it because the more they have the easier it will be on new people. It will also reduce the amount of clicking for the long term players as well.

It's also really easy to use a player feedback section to get different roles and what nodes should be selected for those nodes. Polls, small event kind of thing. Fun for all.

#5 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

I'm not talking wholesale changes to the skill trees. That ship has sailed. I'm talking about increasing the values of certain trees +/- 10-15% depending on what mech you're in to promote mech diversity, and they could accomplish this with minimum effort.

#6 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 27 April 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

I'm not talking wholesale changes to the skill trees. That ship has sailed. I'm talking about increasing the values of certain trees +/- 10-15% depending on what mech you're in to promote mech diversity, and they could accomplish this with minimum effort.

They are already planning on doing that when they talked about quirks in the future. I have full faith that PGI is going to be doing a quirk balance pass in the next six months once they get some data post skill tree. I know a lot of people don't believe that will happen, but there's no way they can keep ignoring quirks and still have a functioning game in a year.

I assume we'll see skill tree released next month, new tech the month after that, then quirk balance two months down the line.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users