High Node Cost Is Bad For Experimentation

1 reply to this topic

#1 captaincoffee

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

Overall the skill tree seems to be in a reasonable spot now in my opinion, although I wouldn't call it pretty ui-wise.

But it does have one glaring issue to me, equipping a node costs 400 xp/gxp, which is an unreasonably high cost. This detracts a lot from the fun on experimenting with tuning the mech and the skill tree can add to that fun with the variations in small tweaks it makes possible.

Really, I think there should be no cost at all to equipping nodes (aside from the initial cost of unlocking it), a one time cost is fine, but then you should own that node and be able to unequip/reequip as you see fit, doing otherwise punishes the whole playerbase I think, especially players that aren't sure what generally works best for a given mech loadout and messing around with your mech is a big part of the fun of this game.

Another thing I would like to mention, I liked that you had easier access to a couple of the cool run nodes. I think there should be easier access to at least 1 speed tweak node, that has been something that struck me several times on the varius public test sessions. Seeing the change to the cooling node really made me notice that should be a thing for speed as well.

But aside from that, even though I could nit pick on a few more things, I do think it's looking like something I could work with. Oh yeah, almost forgot, the jump jet part has generally no value compared to the other trees, but I don't know how to fix it. Anyway I appreciate that you are taking your time making this work. Please remove the xp cost of equipping nodes though!

#2 King Chimera

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:21 PM

Agreed 100%, after purchasing the node it should be free to equip and unequip it to promote players trying something different rather than just making one loadout for their mech and leaving it at that with the increased costs of rearranging their skill tree. It's already expensive enough to customize your mech, especially with a new engine and double heat sinks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users