11 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

So I have been playing MWO for 5 years, have 80,000 GXP left, but a lot of GXP was spent on leveling some old Mech variant skills and not refunded.

So in the future I am supposed to spend 400 GXP to do what I do for free with a module swap or just once when buying a module skill. That is a huge inflation of GXP costs and I don't see where that GXP will come from. Currently I think I could field about 5 mechs, maybe, if I were actually changing Skill Tree nodes occasionally or just never re-Skill a node. So the idea players will be able to swap bought nodes is sort of a misrepresentation of the system unless GXP rewards are greatly increased.

Edit: I guess I missed something. System was deducting GXP for the node changes (already purchased), but I had 700k historic XP which it should have been using?

Edited by Lightfoot, 28 April 2017 - 09:28 AM.

#2 Pr8Dator2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCareer Clanner

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 27 April 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

So I have been playing MWO for 5 years, have 80,000 GXP left, but a lot of GXP was spent on leveling some old Mech variant skills and not refunded.

So in the future I am supposed to spend 400 GXP to do what I do for free with a module swap or just once when buying a module skill. That is a huge inflation of GXP costs and I don't see where that GXP will come from. Currently I think I could field about 5 mechs, maybe, if I were actually changing Skill Tree nodes occasionally or just never re-Skill a node. So the idea players will be able to swap bought nodes is sort of a misrepresentation of the system unless GXP rewards are greatly increased.

I beg to differ... this is one move that is going reduce the power creeping that is happening in this game making it harder for new players and equally frustrating for veterans where fights last about 3 seconds and one miss shot means you die! All these power creeping needs to end before the new weapons hit the line and one way is to stop making these powerups freely available across the board! So if you wanna play a new mech, then get used to starting from scratch... this is the best thing about this new system, gett used to it!

#3 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

Okay, but I think you are hooking on to my being a 5 year veteran and ignoring the premise of the post that swapping out nodes is not really feasible. You can do it, but you won't be able to realistically.

Also, if what you say is true, Pr8Dator2, then PGI won't be selling many new mechs, so it's not true. The cap of 91 SP is relatively easy to reach. What you won't be able to do is swap nodes without incurring unrealistic costs. That's okay, but makes node swapping pretty unaccessable.

Edited by Lightfoot, 27 April 2017 - 08:34 PM.

#4 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

You are incorrect, kinda.

The cost is not GXP but rather normal mech XP OR historic XP OR GXP. You will only have to use GXP once you run out of the other two. An average non premium first win of the day should give you around 2k XP, more if it was a particular good match.

#5 Pr8Dator2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 250 posts
  • LocationCareer Clanner

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:38 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 27 April 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

Also, if what you say is true, Pr8Dator2, then PGI won't be selling many new mechs, so it's not true. The cap of 91 SP is relatively easy to reach. What you won't be able to do is swap nodes without incurring unrealistic costs. That's okay, but makes node swapping pretty unaccessable.

That's not true.

Mech sales won't be hurt in a significant way because:
1. people currently grinding their 3 instead of buying thru a pack adds nothing to PGI's sale
2. IS mechs with unique hardpoints would still be attractive to buy their variants
3. Clan IIC and assault mechs with unique hardpoints would not be affected as people would still buy them for the hardpoints
4. Only thing affected in a good way is that omnimech pilots no longer need to buy 3 of the SAME MECH... resulting in happier clan players who would then spend their time and money on other more productive things... everyone wins.

#6 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:18 AM

View PostPr8Dator2, on 27 April 2017 - 08:24 PM, said:

I beg to differ... this is one move that is going reduce the power creeping that is happening in this game making it harder for new players and equally frustrating for veterans where fights last about 3 seconds and one miss shot means you die! All these power creeping needs to end before the new weapons hit the line and one way is to stop making these powerups freely available across the board! So if you wanna play a new mech, then get used to starting from scratch... this is the best thing about this new system, gett used to it!

I don't know what "power" you are referring to but surplus GXP means they wold be able to skill up a mech rightaway if they have enough C bills to buy the nodes. Some people like me would be working their rear end trying to get GXP. The idea is to make it easier to change configurations so if Meta changes they would be able to play around with designs. This will make reconfiguring the mechs by changing weapons loadouts harder to do. If anything a one shot C bill charge per saved change.in the nodes. changing 3 nodes would be 1200 GXP. It might take me a year to get that much

#7 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

View PostForceUser, on 27 April 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

You are incorrect, kinda.

The cost is not GXP but rather normal mech XP OR historic XP OR GXP. You will only have to use GXP once you run out of the other two. An average non premium first win of the day should give you around 2k XP, more if it was a particular good match.

Okay, must have missed something. I had 700k historic XP, but the system was deducting it from GXP.

By the way, this data is from my alt character I started about 8 months ago, not my main, so it is representational of a new player and not a 5 year veteran.

Edited by Lightfoot, 28 April 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#8 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:28 AM

If there wasn't a 400xp charge to reactivate a node there would be no xp sink. While it's annoying to have to pay a cost to reactivate a node there is also nothing else in the game to use that xp on which is probably how they've justified it.

Personally I think there should be no cost for reactivating a node and you just stop earning exp after you have 242 SP, but PGI doesn't seem to think in terms of what makes the most sense.

#9 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

@ Ruar, ForceUser says it should have been deducting the value in Mech XP. It didn't for me, but I may have missed something.

#10 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

If you click the right side of the node it's the purple xp. If you click the left side of the node it's the orange xp. I don't recall which one is which between the purple and orange though. I think purple is mech xp, but I could be wrong.

#11 MrMagoo421

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

There's nothing to do with the million extra exp on all my main mechs now. This certainly won't significantly change that. Granted I never asked for anything to do with it either, it's numbers to make me giggle. A sink for them clearly has never been needed....I mean, leaving the pool intact I could theoretically spend money on converting them to GXP afterall.

This change just hurts casual players. In such, it is inherently a bad idea as they are the people who make up the vast majority of the player base. Alienate them, and any game dies a fast death because there is no-one for the hardcores to play with.

#12 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

View PostRuar, on 28 April 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

If you click the right side of the node it's the purple xp. If you click the left side of the node it's the orange xp. I don't recall which one is which between the purple and orange though. I think purple is mech xp, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users