build advice im sick of sucking

11 replies to this topic

#1 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:05 AM

So I bought the Sleipnir a while back for some reason or another. First few games were exceptionally promising, using a quad-AC5 build as such: SLEIPNIR
Mysteriously, in the last few weeks this build has become a constant source of anguished misery. I've spent almost all day playing this mech today and only once have I done over 200 damage. Most games, I didn't even get to triple digits.
At first, I blamed the build, so I tried double AC20 with LRMs to cover distance while I closed in, something like this: SLEIPNIR Did it work? Not at all - exactly the same results.
So I did what I usually did when AC20s don't work - I switched to AC10s instead, which I've long said are a superior weapon for idiots like me that can't aim because it doesn't punish you for missing quite so much. It ended up looking something like SLEIPNIR
I don't know what I expected, but I wasn't particularly surprised nor impressed when I had two straight sub-150 damage games.
So... what the hell am I doing wrong? I'm aware that I need to work on my aim when using a pure torso weapon build, since I have a habit of following the wrong reticle, but even the AC10 build with arm lasers and LRMs didn't go remotely well. Is the problem because the mech itself is a gigantic (both figuratively and literally) priority target?

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 29 April 2017 - 02:06 AM.

#2 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:22 AM

MY guess is that due to the threat imposed by a Banshee left unchecked , you get focus-fired damn hard .
Many people know it is a quite durable and hard-hitting mech, so they prime-target it .

Also: Dont forget torsotwisting and reducing your "facetime" as much as possible .

If you have problems with aiming (mousespeeds?), go to the training grounds, circle one target at full speed and setup your mouse in such a way that you can accurately hold your reticule on one spot .
This mousesensi is now your baseline from which you can derive all other needed mousespeeds, like higher ones for lights/infighting/fast torsotwistings and slower one for precision shots .

Hope that helped a bit .

#3 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:27 AM

Ok ... all three of your builds...are suboptimal.

The 4 AC5 build has XL and will suck when you meet any pilot remotely knowing what he does because he knows from your loadout and speed where he or she has to shoot.

The second one has a very similar problem....but more due to the AC20s suckage at tracking faster targets and slow muzzle speed in conjunction with AC20s getting critted too fast.
So you will run around without functioning weapons pretty quick.
And why the f... are you wasting 8.5 tonns on a single LRM 10 with ammo and AMS when you could put in some lasers and a larger engine ?

Last one has the same problems to a lesser extent.

My suggestions would be: Xneir or Boltneir
If you want to try something slower you could go for this...but its ammo reserves are too limited.

#4 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 29 April 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

My suggestions would be: Xneir or Boltneir

No offense, but those are awful assault builds.

Quad ballistics and mass SRMs are generally the best way to go with the cyclops.

Similar to the OP, I'll get frustrated and change my build up from time to time, when all I needed to do was take a breath and analyze the mistakes I've been making.

Edited by Roughneck45, 02 May 2017 - 09:08 AM.

#5 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:45 AM

I prefer this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cd216fff8295b7a

#6 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

Your builds definitely weren't getting any meta points.

Sleipnir is pretty great at being a Mauler with super sensors:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...86db19bb77303f9

Alternatively there's this thing with frontloaded damage focus and a dead side to use.:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dfe199dd569edf2

And now I'm just making stuff up:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a14758e1dcf9a44
[basically a brawler type of setup with a deadside and AC20+an SRM6 backed up by dual LPL that should also be useful at mid range]

Also for those long range types:
2Gauss+2ERLL http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8bc9e449fa92bd0
2Gauss+2ERPPC http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6fc4de341a5ac2c

Quite a few options available. The long range ones won't take hits as well, especially do those side torsos, but they should put out some painful alpha strikes at range. Brawlers should be incredibly tanky if you use the deadside to full effect. The quad UAC5 build will likely be the most effective, as its simple, effective at mid to long range and up close, and tanks decently while not losing everything if the wrong side goes.

#7 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

Curious, own neither - Any advantages to the Quad UAC5 Sleipnir over Quad UAC5 King Crab?

Edited by Odd Thomas, 02 May 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#8 R E S P E K

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostOdd Thomas, on 02 May 2017 - 11:20 AM, said:

Curious, own neither - Any advantages to the Quad UAC5 Sleipnir over Quad UAC5 King Crab?

Better hit boxes and weapon placement

#9 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

I wouldn't say advantage, more of a trade off.

Sleipnir is going to get a little more speed and better weapon mounts, as opposed to more armor, potential backup weapons, and better ammo placement.

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

Same advantages that the Mauler gets over the King Crab, higher hardpoints, more speed, shield arms, better hitboxes, torso mounted weapons, and then the unique sensor boost for Cyclopes.

You may not have the same armor values as a King Crab, but you're likely to survive longer due to better hitboxes and actually being able to block damage with those arms.

#11 Arianrhod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

Took quad LB10x Sleipnir into faction warfare for the nonsense event and dealt 620 damage in under two minutes of fighting. Not the best performance of my life (FW rarely is) but definitely not a bad mech at all. And that quad UAC/5 is badass (will be even more so with light engines, I think). The mech isn't that big even (smallest IS 90 ton mech). I think the main problem is that it's a brutally difficult way to play in quick play—the current map rotation favors extreme range and it's difficult to find a team that will effectively support your mid to short range mech. The mech is probably most useful in variable-range maps like Canyon Network and Grim Plexus, where you can actually dictate the engagement somewhat, or in absurdly hot maps like Terra, Caustic Valley, and Tourmaline Desert where you can pretty much shoot forever without fear.

Your problem might also be not specializing enough. Don't be afraid to just bring one kind of weapon. Additionally this is a rare assault mech that can work with or without an XL engine, if you play smart, so I don't think that's the issue.

#12 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:40 PM

Sleipnir is probably one of the better IS hero mechs you can buy.

If you can't get quad UAC5 to work, then quad LBX10 is braindead simple to play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users