Watch This And Tell Me Is Is Getting Killed...

62 replies to this topic

#61 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 01 May 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

It's also why the new skill tree is a trap.

Good players will take good mechs and use it to make them better. Bad players will take mediocre/bad mechs and make them comparatively worse with the skill tree.

Result will just be a bigger gulf between good players and bad players.

Rage will ensue. At best it's going to play just like it does right now.

I don't mind that established players might make bad choices...hell, I plan on making a lot of bad choices myself. I'm probably going to waste a lot of time trying to run a number of mechs heavy on the Survival tree, but whatever. I know that I may not be taking an optimal, min/max path.

I wonder more about the new player that starts playing, gets their arse handed to them repeatedly, and then decides to go full survival in mechs not really suited for it, thinking that survival will tip the balance in their favor. So then they grind and spend the time investing, only to come to the conclusion much later that they jsut wasted their time.

Not so much a concern over good/bad, more a concern over new/old. Hopefully someone in the community spends the time to put out a really outstanding guide for new players once everything settles down.

#62 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

View PostErronius, on 01 May 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

I don't mind that established players might make bad choices...hell, I plan on making a lot of bad choices myself. I'm probably going to waste a lot of time trying to run a number of mechs heavy on the Survival tree, but whatever. I know that I may not be taking an optimal, min/max path.

I wonder more about the new player that starts playing, gets their arse handed to them repeatedly, and then decides to go full survival in mechs not really suited for it, thinking that survival will tip the balance in their favor. So then they grind and spend the time investing, only to come to the conclusion much later that they jsut wasted their time.

Not so much a concern over good/bad, more a concern over new/old. Hopefully someone in the community spends the time to put out a really outstanding guide for new players once everything settles down.

It implies that an SP is an SP and in the new system it's not.

That's the fundamental flaw.

Make an SP worth an SP. Be that 0.5% speed tweak is worth 7.5% Hill Climb or whatever but get a medium of exchange, make it linear and let us make real choices to build mechs.

#63 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:42 AM

View PostErronius, on 01 May 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

I can't really fault PGI holding off on tweaking too many of the remaining quirks before the ST hits. I just hope that they're already lining up possible tweak/balance scenarios now, so that post-ST release balancing doesn't take a year or more. Because it's going to be pretty grating having to trudge through posts complaining about PGI taking forever to address balance after the ST hits (whether those complaints are valid or not, because TBH the nonstop complaining does get old)

Post-Tree balance may take that long since New Tech comes out Summer and no definites how that plays out with Tree.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users