4 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamshift

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUS, MD

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

I don't post... like ever, but I wanted to give some small bit of positive reinforcement for this new system.

Reimbursement:
I was initially disappointed in what I was getting C-bill wise, I was happy to see that historical SP was essentially doing the same thing my modules were doing: improving my 'mechs. It felt fair in the end but each user's mileage will vary.

The Skill Tree Itself:
My experience with using the tree to improve my 'mechs was mostly positive. I felt like I really had to make some decisions in how I tweaked my 'mechs and I felt more ownership of my models. I could more fine tune how I wanted the 'mech to situate itself; for my weapons platforms I delved more into the weapons trees and for my scouts the sensors and speed. There wasn't a 'mech that didn't have some amount of points in the survivability trees but my tanks nearly filled out that tree.

I will admit, of the trees, I can't see a reason not to take some weapon and survivability nodes but that makes sense regarding a game of stompy robots. Play testing the 'mechs I did use with the PTS I really liked how most of my 'mechs played and my assaults really felt like 100 ton monstrosities. (The Kodiak's MASC really feels important now, I'll probably take that 'mech a lot more in team drops than I would normally). Acceleration and Deceleration seem to be way more important than they were before when I mostly cared about top speed and I really like that change.

I wasn't able to actually play any fights but if they have increased the time-to-kill I hope that will make us all feel more like walking tanks that they should.

Of those who got to try the PTS #2; did anyone else have a positive experience and are actually excited to see it implemented? Am I a confused voice in the dark? All the other players I play with seem to be excited about it but the forums seem to read VERY different from my anecdotal experience.

#2 Schmu666

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

Im excited about the new skilltree, but im no veteran and didnt master any chassis yet.
I like the fact that i can master a mech without grinding variants that i dont enjoy that much.

Some questions I have too: when will this skill tree go live actually? (approx)
Do I keep all my accumulated mecha XP and can use it when the skill tree hits live?

thanks all

#3 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

This skill tree only seems like it gives real choice. The truth of it is that once it gets onto the live servers, and the whole population starts hammering away at it, there will be an optimal set of nodes that results in the fewest "filler" nodes they're attempting to use to make it appear as though we are making decisions.

I expect most of the Firepower tree to go unused with some loadout specific exceptions; I expect most of the Armor tree to get used, just under half of the Agility tree, most of the Operations tree, and then I plan on using most of the Sensor tree, but there will be enough people who don't see as much value in it as I do, that ultimately I expect the typical number of nodes available after optimizing those trees to be between 19 and 23 nodes that are "elective".

#4 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

By itself, I don't necessarily think that the skill tree is bad. To me, "disappointing" is a better description. It's a functional replacement for mech skills and it does allow for a little customization between mechs, but it doesn't live up to its potential.

For the skill tree as it is, PGI basically dumped every quirk, mech skill, and module effect into a few random piles and drew lines between them. Players complained so PGI has shuffled the order a bit, but PGI doesn't seem interested in doing much else. A good skill tree would have taken a little more than the bare minimum amount of effort that PGI has put into this one.

I would have liked to have been able to customize my mechs in meaningful ways. I would have liked a more linear progression where I have branching roles to invest in. I would have also liked it if each class of mech had a smaller, unique set of skills. It would have been nice if the most of the available skills could have provided added abilities or effects instead of flat stat boosts. There are so many different directions that they could have taken the skill tree and there's so much lost potential and I just find the skill tree to be disappointing.

Edited by Metafox, 03 May 2017 - 10:53 PM.

#5 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:56 AM

My experience has been the same as the op but I have been able to get a few drops in when the pts was up. The reduced weapon cooldowns, quirks and increased armor/structure makes a very big and noticeable difference in 1v1 and small skirmish level engagements, especially with assaults.

Also any xp you have on mechs you own or have sold or trial mechs WILL transfer over after the patch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users