How Are You Approaching The Impending Skill Tree?

7 replies to this topic

#1 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

So here's my deal:

I have a tiny stable (39 mechs) and I haven't mastered very many because right after I got into playing, I got laid off and thought it was in seriously bad taste to say "Hey. baby, I don't have to work 'till spring, I'm going to roll 'Mechs a day a week until I go back on the forklift. (Which is in fact a giant robot, but I digress...)

So I've built up a little bit and I'm wondering, given the fact we're getting XP and cbill refunds this month, if I'm better to A) master a couple more chassis, which involves BUYING a few more chassis or B) fiddle around with odds and sods in the hope that I may find my favourite 'mech.

Should I be blowing my cash on modules, saving my GXP, blowing my GXP so I get a better refund, maxing everything I have, or what?

Yours,
confused and bewildered Mechwarrior.

#2 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

Wow, not one comment. When you listen to the comms, EVERYBODY has an opinion.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

I'd suggest trying every mech that interests you and saving that GXP for the new skill system.

~Leone.

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

IMO - Wait a month.

The version we are getting is inherently broken and heavily buffs clan and overtly nerfs IS. Kit out a few of your fav mechs and wait for the rest.I know that is really stupid, but, I'm basically going to stop playing until the new tech comes.

Reason is S/T and new tech in itself will be a chronically unbalanced as two collective drops.

Given the Skill Tree will punish you for wanting to RESKILL mechs as well (XP/Cbills etc), and reskill because you like to tinker/change builds constantly in the mech lab like I do... Posted Image

My educated guess is this:

1. Clan Omni Mech - Not really affected. Just remember changing omni pod from say laser to ballistic = total reskill. If you already have 3 omni though you can kit them out pretty safely with various builds as over 3 mechs you should cover most of what you want.

2. IS Mechs - Multi (mixed loadout) hard point mechs that can run combination builds - SRM/Laser/Ballistic = wait 1-2 months for the balance to become balanced/settled

3. IS Mechs - Focused (boated loadout) hard point - eg GHP 5P / GHP 5H.
5P is great a LL / ERL mech, so skill that accordingly.
5H is good as closer range Laser - LPL/ML - So again, you can safely skill both of those given they really cannot do much else.

4. Any mech you are unsure of build wise - WAIT.

5. IS Mechs - If you have say a 3rd GHP (5J as exmaple), but have not mastered it. IMO, don't bother. Under the new Skill Tree system that is lowering IS quirks, most IS mechs with rubbish hard point locations are going to become instantly redundant. Given PGI's stance on "removing offensive quirks" which make up for rubbish mounts of a lot of IS mechs etc. After 2-3 months, if it does not get offensive quirks back - then honestly - sell it. Don't waste time mastering a now dud mech.

6. Clan battle mechs do not apply with the same as #5 because most do not have quirks. Some do, but it won't matter losing them for instance as you can still gain via ST.

And that sums up the skill tree really. Any IS mech right now with good quirks but rubbish mounts, will become pointless. Meaning LESS variety in mech variants and thus less variety in load outs etc. Boating will become more prevalent than it is now.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 03 May 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#5 FallingAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:11 PM

Current refund scheme favors mastered mechs. Mastered mechs get 91 SP. That would be current skill tree+ module performance. Basically you get module performance for free.

Only reason to buy modules is if you want to make leveling mechs easier. You're basically swapping c-bills for leveling. There comes a point where this becomes a bad trade-off. You just have to figure out where you're point is.

This is all subject to change if PGI changes the refund scheme.

#6 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

Posted Image

#7 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 01:06 PM

OK, so don't worry about modules, but get mastery on stuff. Anyone want to gift me a champion or hero Catapult and a champion or hero Jagermech? LOL I'm embarrassed... I seem to have spent my MC during sales and bought some really weird stuff while I had my beer goggles on. Could someone post the new skill tree points refund scheme? What do I get for having the basic 6 leveled?

Again, sorry about the n00b questions, but I couldn't play the public test because I'd really like to stay married. My gal, for some reason, gets more of my attention than my 'Mech obsession. She actually posted Posted Image this on my facebook! My struggle is real!

#8 DeeHawk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:08 AM

View PostAureliusDean, on 04 May 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

My gal, for some reason, gets more of my attention than my 'Mech obsession. She actually posted Posted Image this on my facebook! My struggle is real!

Hahaha, PGI should use that for advertising the VR module of Mechwarrior 5!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users