Recommend Me Clan Mech

19 replies to this topic

#1 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

Heavy or Assault that can carry 2x Gauss and 4-6x LRM5. ECM/Jump Jets/TAG slot welcome. I care about quirks and mobility.

Also wondering is it possible to config keys in such way that LRM's will shoot chainfired while gauss will be groupfired.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Only an assault will have the tonnage to do that without being light on ammo. Just make your weapon groups and put the LRM group on chainfire. Normally I'd build a mech and link it, but no way on this one. I refuse to take responsibility Posted Image

Edited by Roughneck45, 10 May 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#3 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 10 May 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

Heavy or Assault that can carry 2x Gauss and 4-6x LRM5. ECM/Jump Jets/TAG slot welcome. I care about quirks and mobility.

Also wondering is it possible to config keys in such way that LRM's will shoot chainfired while gauss will be groupfired.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de

... is a wonderful resource for theory crafting like this.

The mech you're looking for doesn't exist.

The Scorch (MAD-IIC hero) comes closest in that it can do the weapons (2xGauss, 4xLRM5, and tag) but has no JJs or ECM.

Nothing else has the hardpoints and tonnage to mount that weapons combo, so far as I can tell.

Some ClanTech heavies and assaults come closer, but lack enough missile hardpoints (only 3), and either lack the second ballistic point or have one or more of the Ballistic slots in a place where there aren't enough crit to fit a second Gauss.

(edit: Supernova hero is next closest, with 3M, the rifles would go in the arms, and it would have JJs and a place for tag, but again no ECM.)

The Turkina might be able to do the weapons with JJs someday if it's introduced and gets hardpoint inflation for the missiles, but that's no guarantee and still won't have ECM.

And yes, you absolutely can set the weapons groups to do that.

Edited by Virlutris, 10 May 2017 - 01:31 PM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

I checked all the Clan Mechs, assuming you want 2 gauss and 4 LRM5 at the same time, the best options are:

the WHK-B with the -A RA can fit 2 Gauss and 3 LRM 5 racks but you would have to seriously compromise on armor to take anywhere near enough ammo.

the Orion IIC-A would only have the 1 Gauss but can take the 4 LRM5 as well as max engine, max armor, suffiscent ammo and have tonage and hardpoints left over for 2 LPL or ERPPC

the Orion IIC-C can have 2 Gauss and 3 LRM5 but it has to use a standard engine as both balistic hardpoints are in the same torso, you will have to compromise on ether ammo, speed or armor

the Supernova SVN-BR can fit 2 Gauss + 3 LRM5, enough ammo, max engine, max armor and 13 tons and 3 E hardpoints left over, it can take upto 3 Jumpjets

the Marauder IIC-D can do 2 Gauss + 2 missiles with ECM or as already mentioned the MAD-IIC-Scorch can do your desired loadout with reasionable speed (71.5 before speedtweak) and adiquate ammo with near max armor.

To set 1 weapon group to chain fire just highlight the group in match and press backspace, do that on 1 group for the LRMs then leave the other set to fire the 2 Gauss together and you are setup as requested on a 2 button mouse.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 May 2017 - 03:23 PM.

#5 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

"Heavy or Assault that can carry 2x Gauss and 4-6x LRM5. ECM/Jump Jets/TAG slot welcome. I care about quirks and mobility."

If you really insist, then LRM10 is pretty equal to LRM5. Note, there are two spreads for LRMs, smaller and bigger. LRM20 and LRM15 have same spread, as well as LRM5 and LRM10 have same. Old stuff about each having their own spread, is no longer correct.

So when you have an abundance of missile hardpoints, LRM5 are slightly lighter(as in comparing 2xLRM5 vs. 1xLRM10), they have slightly better DPS, and same heat. But when you don't have enouhg missile hardpoints, LRM10 are at no real disadvantage againts LRM5.

I don't think gauss and LRMs work well together. Getting and keeping locks requires feacing the enemy, one big advantag of gauss is you dont' have to face the enemy so much. Of course gauss biggest advantage is no practical heat.

So I don't think the combo works. Gauss should be combined with relatively hot or warm weapons that fire off relatively fast. Stealty long range gauss sniper with maybe PPCs. There is a big difference between a fat slow gauss mech, or faster mech with gauss. Faster should fire off fast and hide with taking very little or no damage, while a slow mech should fire off all guns possibly taking more time, and then hide.

If you want to play with gauss I would suggest Marauder IIC-D. It has ECM, it's fairly tanky, it can nicely carry two gauss rifles, a lot of ammo, and either 2xERL or one ERPPC. It really cant carry LRMs and gauss at same time, as it's too heavy to have any decent amount of ammo for either, and you don't want to take really weak engine.

#6 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,876 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 10 May 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

I am tempted to refuse to participate in your crimes against Battlemechs everywhere - those weapons will not work well together at all. Posted Image Gauss rifles have abysmally low dps, relying on slow, heavy burst damage to wreak pinpoint havok on the enemy; LRMs, on the other hand, are the polar opposite, relying on screen-shake and steady, sandblasting scatter-damage to force the enemy into cover and wear him down. You might think that the Gauss rifle's low heat would allow you to alternate weapons, peeking to snipe at the enemy and continuing to rain from cover between cooldowns. Unfortunately, the need to stare at your target in order to maintain a lock drastically reduces the effectiveness of the Gauss Rifles - because you need to torso twist once you've fired in order to spread damage from counter-fire. And if you're lobbing rocket tracers in between Gauss rounds, there will be counter-fire.

So, beyond even lacking synergy, the two weapon systems' mechanics will actively interfere with each other, creating a 'mech that will surely disappoint you in any even fight.

However, on the assumption that grown-ups should be allowed to stand or fail on their own recognizance, I'd say the Warhawk is probably your best bet, with the right omnipods. It can mount the right weapons and is fast for an assault, allowing it to reposition to avoid the constant swarms of fast 'mechs trying to harass it to death because of the LRM barrage.

Edited by Void Angel, 10 May 2017 - 06:14 PM.

#7 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

This one Jumps, have the Gauss, and more than enough Tubes, not quite the desired chain/focus from the missiles, but hey, as stated above, your fantasy mech is not achievable with current chassis options.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2ed426c9c10085d

#8 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:17 PM

View PostPoptimus Rhyme Wallace, on 10 May 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

This one Jumps, have the Gauss, and more than enough Tubes, not quite the desired chain/focus from the missiles, but hey, as stated above, your fantasy mech is not achievable with current chassis options.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2ed426c9c10085d

You forgot all the ammo in that build. So smaller launchers are needed in order to be able to take any gauss and lrm-ammo.

#9 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:15 AM

I would need C-LRM5 x4-6 to keep them chainfired. C-LRM10 is heavier and drains ammo faster. As for Gauss, I know what I'm doing. Sadly seems that only MAD-IIC comes close and I basically hate all IIC mechs.

This is closest thing I came with but it just screams about extra missile tubes in torso for more LRM launchers. And with 3x LRM it's not effective.

NTG-A

What about 5-6 LRM tubes, Gauss and PPC with some internal Heat Sinks or enough space for some? Or maybe even 2x PPC and 5-6 LRM tubes but I guess PPC should be quirked and cooled really well. Timber Wolf D has only 4 LRM tubes, will it lose all quirks in few days?

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 11 May 2017 - 01:02 AM.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:45 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 11 May 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

I would need C-LRM5 x4-6 to keep them chainfired. C-LRM10 is heavier and drains ammo faster. As for Gauss, I know what I'm doing. Sadly seems that only MAD-IIC comes close and I basically hate all IIC mechs.

Just an FYI 4 LRM5 chain fired will not be a continous stream, for that you want 6 (or 5 with fast fire and the modules comes very close to a continous stream)

This is closest thing I came with but it just screams about extra missile tubes in torso for more LRM launchers. And with 3x LRM it's not effective.

NTG-A

What about 5-6 LRM tubes, Gauss and PPC with some internal Heat Sinks or enough space for some? Or maybe even 2x PPC and 5-6 LRM tubes but I guess PPC should be quirked and cooled really well. Timber Wolf D has only 4 LRM tubes, will it lose all quirks in few days?

what quirks does the TBR-D currently have? Smurfy does not list any.

The Mad Dog -A has 6 missile hardpoints with 1 each energy and balistic, but you would probably have to compromise on armor and ammo, and end up with something like this

#11 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:49 AM

I think full set has for sure 20% PPC velocity and 10% PPC heat, both pretty good. But MDD looks nice, I could technically try even double PPC but I really want it to run cool and have good velocity.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 11 May 2017 - 01:50 AM.

#12 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

I can confirm now that those quirks are there and according to .pdf file they are about to remain there, at least PGI changes it. And the build I need must have 6x C-LRM5 launcher, tried out on many mechs and it won't work with less.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 12 May 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

I can confirm now that those quirks are there and according to .pdf file they are about to remain there, at least PGI changes it. And the build I need must have 6x C-LRM5 launcher, tried out on many mechs and it won't work with less.

so that means the MDD-A, there is no heavier Clan Mech with 6 missile hardpoints and space for other weapons, the only other Clan Mech able to take 6m tubes with other weapons is the 50 ton Huntsman, but that has less tonage available.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 12 May 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#14 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

DWF-S
trololol

Edited by Yumoshiri, 12 May 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#15 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:01 PM

That's nice build, very similar to what I was making DWF-W but need more missiles. But this makes me want to ask...

When you launch C-LRM5, it takes missiles short time to leave missile tubes and then at same speed they hit target, one by one. But when using larger C-LRM20 will it take missiles much longer to leave tubes because there are 20 of them? Also they will be hitting target one by one but will it take more time to deliver damage? If so, how many tubes do I need to keep C-LRM's constantly flying for each launcher size?

#16 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

yes, bigger c-lrm takes more time for missiles to get out, but it's not a matter of seconds. 3 lrm 10's are not sufficient to continue raining them on the enemy without interruption.

#17 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:22 AM

What about 4-5x C-LRM10? All I am sure of is that for C-LRM5 it's 6 tubes with cooldown module to keep constant fire.

#18 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:09 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 13 May 2017 - 04:22 AM, said:

What about 4-5x C-LRM10? All I am sure of is that for C-LRM5 it's 6 tubes with cooldown module to keep constant fire.

6 cLRM5 without the module is continous fire, 5 with module and cooldown skill has a bairly noticable gap between 5th and 6th volly

the cooldown module will cease to exist on Tuesday with the new skill tree.
if you are going for 4 LRM10 then your best bet would be MAD-IIC-scorch.

look on Smurfys battlemechs page and check them out yourself, but Scorch and HGN-IIC-B look like your only options, WHK-B with a few omnipods from other varients may work but tonage will be very tight.

#19 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

This thing is a lot of fun: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d431dca235e5f6e

I have a Razer Naga with custom keybinds by the thumb for weapon groups 1-3 that allow me to fire without switching weapon groups, but without that I would just do 1 group for the gauss, 1 for the LRMs, and one for the backup lasers. I do not recommend stripping the ERMLs for more ammo. This thing has more than enough ammo to carry a match.

Edited by 0111101, 14 May 2017 - 08:12 AM.

#20 0111101

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:44 AM

View PostYumoshiri, on 13 May 2017 - 12:13 AM, said:

yes, bigger c-lrm takes more time for missiles to get out, but it's not a matter of seconds. 3 lrm 10's are not sufficient to continue raining them on the enemy without interruption.

LRM rain is inefficient,it requires that the opponent flounder around in the open for some time while you continue to get your damage out. Better players duck behind cover the moment that incoming missile warning goes off and from there, the rest of the salvo is wasted on terrain. Burst damage is king, even for LRMs.

Edited by 0111101, 20 August 2017 - 07:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users