- - - - -

Ac5S, Splash Damage?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Hindenhoot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:13 AM

Simple question, do ACs do a small amount of splash damage? The fireball animation on impact suggests they do.

I've just started playing with a MAL MX90 with 5x AC5s and having a lot of success with it - it runs cold, it's capable at any almost an range, with potential to do crazy damage.

Except it's viciously susceptible to fast lights. I'm in Australia, my ping to Oceanic and NA ranges from 160-280 + the Mauler's torso twist speed + AC projectile speed makes them almost impossible to kill.

Am I better off aiming at the ground beneath their feet to try to leg them? I've been trying it, with some success, but don't know if it's unintentional leg hits because of the lag or I'm actually doing splash damage.

Edited by Dahoota, 13 May 2017 - 06:14 AM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

It was once believed they did but it was actually due to bad hit detection in closed beta (a common trend was to fire an AC/20 at the ground ahead of a light and the light would take damage; this was actually a combination of lag and other factors, as mechs were never actually where we thought they were as shown in the video below Note the weapons fire often completely misses the mech, there's no explosion, and yet the mech is taking damage).

What's really going on is there is an effect added because Autocannons are described as firing a default ammunition called HEAP, High Explosive Armor Piercing.

Ironically the HE aspect is for show and the shells in fact do not pierce armor in MWO.

----
(Below this point is strictly about "Battle Tech" and why we have an explosive effect)
Spoiler

--------------

Back to MWO.

But basically the ACs explode on impact because lore. There is no effect associated with it. In fact while missiles used to produce a splash damage, it was removed because missiles would "splash multiply" and a 2 damage missile would produce up to 25 damage, allowing this to happen.

Note I had not attacked anyone before the start of this video.
Note the damage dealt.

Edited by Koniving, 13 May 2017 - 07:10 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

In short...
There is no splash mechanic anywhere in the game.

Even the Clan ER PPC is not actually a splash mechanic, but a damage spread mechanic.

(Very different, splash is logical, you hit here and anything in the splash gets damage. Damage transfer is if you hit the left front torso, you damage the left front torso, the center front torso and the left arm. If you hit the left rear torso, you damage the left rear torso, the center rear torso, and lose 2.5 potential damage because for some reason the left arm is not connected to the left rear torso. It defies logic, but allows very controlled scenarios without any damage multipliers as damage multipliers are hard coded into the CryEngine's splash mechanics [in other words changing it could break a lot of other scripts that use said code))

View PostDahoota, on 13 May 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

Am I better off aiming at the ground beneath their feet to try to leg them? I've been trying it, with some success, but don't know if it's unintentional leg hits because of the lag or I'm actually doing splash damage.

Carry some small pulse lasers or some Streak SRMs for fending off lights. Machine Guns are also much more effective than people might believe when used against lights (aim at them do not lead the MGs; ignore the bullet effect it's got nothing to do with how the MG works as MGs hit instantly like lasers).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users