31 replies to this topic

#21 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 15 May 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

NVIDIA, Radeon has lagged behind both in performance and software support ever since AMD bought ATI.

huh? what BS is this!???

have you been living under a rock for years???

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 May 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

My basic rule is AMD processor... Radeon Card.... Intel Processor (my preference) gets Nvidia (usually EVGA)

this is wrong

it solely depends on the given budget and the price point of the parts used

and also the nature of the games that you will play on the system

some game which do not need a high end CPU can also look at the Intel Pentium G4560 which is a cheaper i3 because it has 2 cores but with the help of Hypertreading. You get 4 treads.

also the low end nVidia GPUs like the GT710,720 and 730 are trash GPUs so the only decent GPU that wont break the bank will be the AMD RX 460

you can make a basic gaming PC for under 500 dollar with the Intel CPU and AMD GPU on a tight budget

View PostRaz of 3dc, on 15 May 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

I ended up going Radeon after tryinjg NVidia first. I'd upgraded the motherboard and core to an AMD hex core set u[ and for what ever reason the NVidia would not talk to it consistently. Been flying ever since I swapped out to the Radeon card though.

from the looks of it you are still on the FX6300 series CPU?

i have friends who use the FX6300 with a GTX660 or GTX760 with no issues

you prob need to do a full driver Uninstall and reinstall the GPU drivers

View PostAntonius Zalman, on 15 May 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

No budget really, just curious why the back n forth on these two.

But for the sake of the discussion, lets start with a budget build starting with 200 dollars at max for a GPU:

Radeon? FX cpu to be paired with.
nVidia? Intel i5 cpu to be paired with.

the FX CPUs are really outdated and will run poo on MW:O

if you are set on AMD CPUs,

go for the AMD Ryzen Platform which just recently released

the Ryzen 5 Quad Core are decent for the price and are able to match or come close to the Intel i5

given that your max budget for the GPU is 200

i just happen to find this for cheap

https://pcpartpicker...rx580gaming-4gd

the RX 580 is now the price to performance king at the 200+ dollars GPU and they stomp on the GTX 1060 in most games at 1080P High to Ultra settings

if you need a full system build with the said GPU

hit us up a budget and we can formulate a gaming desktop

#22 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 15 May 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

If you're on a budget: AMD

If you're not: Intel + NVidia

again this is wrong

i can squeeze Intel CPUs and AMD GPU combo easily and play most game with decent settings EXCEPT MW:O

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team - Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 460 2GB LP Video Card ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill - GRAM ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.49 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $374.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-16 23:59 EDT-0400

at 770 dollars you can also go the i5 and AMD GPU combo and this should play most modern AAA games at 1080P High settings

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($99.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 4GB Gaming 4G Video Card ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $770.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-17 00:04 EDT-0400

it a matter of optimizing a build making it balance

View PostHGAK47, on 16 May 2017 - 10:29 AM, said:

EVGA in my experience are one of the best aftermarket board makers. The EVGA software is top notch too. I had a 960GTX EVGA card before I got my stock 1070 and man that EVGA board had so much overclocking headroom! And it was so frosty cool too.

Zotac and EVGA are top tier board partners for nVidia GPUs,

Asus and MSI are the second choice for nVidia GPUs

it still solely depends on the quality of the components used and the binning of the GPU chips and memory chips

and also a bit of silicon lottery

because i have seen cases the EVGA FTW3 ICX GPU not able to OC as high as it normally should and sh*t out with a small OC bump.

View PostxWiredx, on 16 May 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

According to rumors, very short supply. Why even bother competing for that short supply when there are equivalent Nvidia cards that have been out for months already? I mean, unless the prices are really that much better.

In the OP's theoretical $200 range, though, everything has already been released. I think in that bracket the Radeon RX 500-series is technically better performance per dollar, though they definitely use more energy.

I switched to Nvidia for the last time when the 600-series came out. Before that was ATI (AMD) with the 5000-series. Before that was Nvidia with the GTX 200-series. Before that was ATI with the 3870X2. Before that was Nvidia with an FX 5000-series card. Before that was an ATI 9600XT. The point here is that you should always just go with the best you can get at the time within your budget. They're both decent, and everybody has difference experiences with each one.

the 200 dollars price bracket has always been the RX470/480/570/580 stronghold and the GTX 1060 once dominated this price bracket but AMD has been improving on the drivers and the refresh RX500 series along with better drivers have push out the GTX1060 to be the bad value card.

it been pretty normal for brand new card to have limited supply.

so prices at launch will at least be jacked up a bit

so i will suggest waiting for a few months after launch when the hype dies down and drivers have improved further before buying the RX Vega card

that is my view

View PostNerd Incognito, on 16 May 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

There's absolutely no reason to restrict yourself to Intel/Nvidia or AMD/Radeon. The only time it matters is if you're buying an AMD chip that includes onboard graphics processing--which isn't what we're discussing here. For the sake of discussion, I'll throw in that I run an Intel i5 2500k.

I upgraded a few months ago from an old 5850 to a Radeon 480 4GB, which I found on sale at Newegg for about $220. That was, at the time, by far the best deal (in my eyes) in terms of price/performance. That will have changed by now, and will fluctuate based on sales. My second choice would have been a Radeon 470 4GB, which was floating around $200 at that point. If I would have had the need and another $75-100, I would have gone for the 1060--though there has been a lot of speculation about whether or not 3GB is going to be another in the near future.

From what I could gather at the time, I ranked performance at RX470 < 1060 3GB < RX480 < 1060 6GB As mentioned above, that 1060 3GB is a contentious issue, as some tests show it coming out ahead of the 480, and others don't; still others show it as a little ahead, but suggest that the 3GB will become a major limiting factor. Oh, and it's also worth noting that the 480 comes in 8GB flavours, but I really didn't consider it.

We are pretty close to Vega, but I don't know if any of it is going to be around your theoretical price point, and the availability is likely to be spotty.

Oh, and a last note in terms of board partners. EVGA tends to be decent, as does XFX. I personally went with MSI this round, because they have a return depot in Canada, so if I need it, it's cheaper to ship it back. They also have a fairly solid reputation otherwise, but naturally YMMV.

it nice to see some players still holding on to i5 2500K CPUs

they were kings of OC and some can OC 5GHz and above depend on the cooling

the RX 480 is a decent performer for the price

the 4GB is still enough for 1080P Ultra and 1440P Med to High

but prob in the next few years when game textures are much higher

you will see that even 4GB is not enough for 1080P Ultra.

the RX 580 is top performer at the 200+ dollars price range

I will rank the GTX 1060 6GB and the 3GB variant as second last and last respectively

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

lol. OK, guess the entire industry is wrong then. Got it.

#24 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 May 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

lol. OK, guess the entire industry is wrong then. Got it.

So... if you're going back to your own statement about AMD CPU+AMD GPU and Intel CPU+Nvidia GPU, um.. that IS wrong. There are some very tiny advantages to your mindset, sure, but there are no catastrophic consequences for mixing and matching. It isn't like they suffer massive performance penalties or stop working altogether. The only real surefire DON'T DO THIS statement is matching anything to an old AMD Bulldozer CPU now that Ryzen is available.

The proof is simple: Intel just licensed AMD GPU tech for its integrated graphics. If anything, now one could expect, if one is into conspiracy theories, that Nvidia GPUs might suffer on Intel systems where the new tech gets used (whenever it eventually shows up in the marketplace). In fact, many people expected ATI GPUs to suffer on Nforce boards and things like that in the past, and those people were for the most part sorely mistaken.

#25 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

1050Ti Nvidia card is a safe bet in cases where you don't know if you current has juice for a new card (or if it was on integrated gpx prior)... not to expensive and doesn't draw additional power from psu.

Granted it is not the most powerful of the new generation of cards, but paired with a 3rd gen or better i5 chip it should do fine w/ mwo so long as you are not doing pure high/ultra settings...

#26 Antonius Zalman

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Kent

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for sharing your input guys, i was just curious about the opinions between nVidia and Radeon. I use PCpartPicker to create builds and i been toying back and forth and of course i review the reviews on newegg. Lots of opinions here and there to soak in and consider.

#27 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

View PostDragoon20005, on 16 May 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

huh? what BS is this!???

have you been living under a rock for years???

this is wrong

it solely depends on the given budget and the price point of the parts used

and also the nature of the games that you will play on the system

Well, I effectively "live under a rock" and I will concede that hardware -wise AMD and Nvidia leapfrog with pretty much every release, but NVidia almost always has far more stable drivers and better game support overall (probably because of the drivers).

View PostAntonius Zalman, on 17 May 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

Thanks for sharing your input guys, i was just curious about the opinions between nVidia and Radeon. I use PCpartPicker to create builds and i been toying back and forth and of course i review the reviews on newegg. Lots of opinions here and there to soak in and consider.

The rule-of-thumb with PCs as with most other things is that generally, the more you spend on it, the better it will be (aside from possibly assembly and optimization).

#28 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:59 AM

Intel CPU. Even in a budget build

AMD GPU for budget.
Nvidia GPU for high performance.

Simple.

And finaly, if your a tight budget but really want a higher end rig, buy second hand. You can get somthing like a i7 4790k + GTX 960 complete system for like £400

#29 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:32 PM

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 30 May 2017 - 03:59 AM, said:

AMD GPU for budget.

Simple.

And finaly, if your a tight budget but really want a higher end rig, buy second hand. You can get somthing like a i7 4790k + GTX 960 complete system for like £400

Lol... I have a old 4790K at 4.8ghz and Amd 7970 XFX DD 3gb and I am not coming off that for $400.... It will move to my media center build. New build is a Ryzen 1700 at 4.1 ghz.... and a 1070 sea hawk 8gb with a EK water block, custom loop.

#30 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

DONT BUY ANYTHING AMD RELATED!
you gonna shift frontlines, and once that is known by the audience there is no turning back!!!!!

View PostArmageddonKnight, on 30 May 2017 - 03:59 AM, said:

AMD GPU for budget.

Simple.

or even better, find a good friend who have build a new mega expensive rig and is on cloud No.7 so that you can grab his
"old" one for free or 20$ at the most.

#31 Denis Plouhy

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

Doesn't matter for MWO. I got almost 2 years my mini ITX rig with 35W 4C/8T i7 7600T 2,8@3,6Ghz + 175W Radeon Nano. MWO runs great maxed out on my 34" inch 3440x1440 Acer BX340 75Hz freesync display. BTW widescreens are great for MWO you can see more from cockpit.
Nvidia got better cards today, but it can change quickly with Vega. I need to stay with team red for my next upgrade however, because of great freesync feature for any game

#32 NeoMaddy

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

View Postjjyn, on 15 May 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Can votch for that. 750-825$ which the later is what i paided. and for the guy above you, i can tell you it draws 250 watts, so they are not all energy effec. BUT GOOD LUCK it was fun surveying and deciding mine. Awesome card though. benched it at 711 fps. at 42 degree celcius in 1980-1020 rez full screen.

Running a 1080Ti at only 1920x1080 resolution is such a waste. Why spend that kind of cash on a card if you don't have a monitor that can take advantage of it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users