342 replies to this topic

#121 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:43 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 19 May 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

well you should simply have waited until after the newtech implemention. it may shuffle quite some stuff.

So, we shouldn't play the game to it's fullest because it might change in a few months? If that's the case, why play at all? The game is always going to change in a few months, or even just 1 month. I don't want to have all my mechs sub-par because I'm waiting for a new patch. That just isn't fun.

#122 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:58 AM

Hey, Bud, is it OK if I make my own thread? I might need more than one post. Lol.

#123 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

View Postcazidin, on 19 May 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

Hey, Bud, is it OK if I make my own thread? I might need more than one post. Lol.

Do what you will.
But dude, go look at what Cado did...damn near a whole page of this one. Have at it.

Edit:
Oh, and welcome back!

Edited by Bud Crue, 19 May 2017 - 06:03 AM.

#124 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:12 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 19 May 2017 - 06:03 AM, said:

Do what you will.
But dude, go look at what Cado did...damn near a whole page of this one. Have at it.

Edit:
Oh, and welcome back!

Thanks. I see, but I plan to have TWO whole pages WITHOUT pictures! It's going to be big. Absolutely fantastic. Posted Image

#125 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

View Postcazidin, on 19 May 2017 - 06:12 AM, said:

Thanks. I see, but I plan to have TWO whole pages WITHOUT pictures! It's going to be big. Absolutely fantastic. Posted Image

Whatever.

Edit: remember though I am determining winners (to the best I am able) based on community comment ("like" or actual comments for example) so two pages of text might not get a whole lot of positive commentary. Just sayin.

Edited by Bud Crue, 19 May 2017 - 06:21 AM.

#126 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:25 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 19 May 2017 - 06:19 AM, said:

Whatever.

Edit: remember though I am determining winners (to the best I am able) based on community comment ("like" or actual comments for example) so two pages of text might not get a whole lot of positive commentary. Just sayin.

Thanks, Bud, but I was joking about the two pages thing. (I hope) If I actually do need more, can we just focus on the first page or combine the "likes" or comments? I'm finalizing the print atm, removing typos and double checking, etc but I should have this up shortly.

My goal is to provide a LOT of detail for new players. I don't want them to blindly follow X or Y guide. I want them to know why X or Y works or doesn't work, etc. Veterans can more easily skim through the guide.

Edited by cazidin, 19 May 2017 - 06:34 AM.

#127 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

Updated the original generic laser vomit build after playing a bit over the week: https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5743807

Some observations below with links to trees.
  • 39 points in Firepower seems to be optimal maximum for laser vomit. You get all the range and duration nodes and all but two heat gen nodes. Additional heat gen nodes are gated by a cooldown node each, so I don't think they're worth it. I feel you should be able to get at least two good nodes for a gate unless it's a super important node. The lite version is 18 points and still gets most of the good stuff.
  • Survival can be worthwhile for mechs that are heavily quirked, or don't get much benefit from the firepower tree. Armor is currently vastly better than structure for unquirked mechs, and is a reasonable investment for 17 points. Skip the 1:1 gated nodes in the wings if you need the points. Structure quirked mechs should invest 28 points in the tree to get the armor nodes since they're very cheap at that point.
  • The most node efficient mobility paths for maximizing twist speed come in at 17 points and 26 points. The shortest path to speed tweak looks like this (you can get either torso yaw or accel/decel at start, up to you).
  • I don't think Sensors are worth it in general for heavies and assaults. The opportunity cost is quite high. That being said, seismic is very powerful so I now budget 12 points for it. You can also spend one extra point for radar derp to get the warning blip, which I recommend you do.

Edited by Wattila, 23 May 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#128 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

AND... it's done. Enjoy the read. I might include screenshots of some of the build ideas but I wanted to cover the basics first.

https://mwomercs.com...or-new-players/

I've now created and added an abridged version for players that don't want to read through a huge wall of text and are just looking for the answers! The troof is out there! Posted Image

https://mwomercs.com...or-new-players/

Edited by cazidin, 21 May 2017 - 07:12 AM.

#129 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 19 May 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

I've gotten the word out in the TS and mentioned it to others to spread the word, but beyond that...what else can I possibly do?

ingame chat of course. tahts where you meet most of the newbies and lesser active people who don't use the Forum or teamspeak/VOIP. Just don't overspam the chat with it.

#130 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 19 May 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

ingame chat of course. tahts where you meet most of the newbies and lesser active people who don't use the Forum or teamspeak/VOIP. Just don't overspam the chat with it.

Great idea, thanks! I had forgot that the chat existed -I turned it off the day it was released. Will post something. Anyone else who wants to should also.

#131 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 19 May 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

Great idea, thanks! I had forgot that the chat existed -I turned it off the day it was released. Will post something. Anyone else who wants to should also.

one of them chat snobs, are ya? I got me eye on you , boy!

#132 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 May 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

one of them chat snobs, are ya? I got me eye on you , boy!

That first day...I swear that it slowed down everything. Didn't they do a patch though? I just never checked it again.

#133 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 19 May 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

That first day...I swear that it slowed down everything. Didn't they do a patch though? I just never checked it again.

uh huh, likely story.... exposed! :P

#134 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 May 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

uh huh, likely story.... exposed! Posted Image

/gasp. Scandal! Posted Image

#135 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:31 PM

Been playing and doing more thinking. Tried to come up with choices that would make your mech better at trading with a PPC heavy PPFLD mech. This is not really a build, even though it comes in at 91 points.

EDIT 05-23-2017. Updated the build.

Firepower (7 nodes): Staying true to our goals, using 7 points for 5% range and 4% velocity as they help you hit stuff with more damage.

Survival (32 nodes): The build invests heavily in survival regardless of quirks because it helps keep weapons on your mech a bit longer.

Mobility (17 nodes): Get torso speed as efficiently as possible, so you don't get your side torso blown off when side peeking. Speed tweak nodes are a bonus.

Operations (17 nodes): Get all cool run nodes.

Sensors (13 nodes): 200m seismic and one radar derp node for the warning system. Not necessary, but useful.

Auxiliary (5 node): Since this is meant to be kind of a pseudo competitive build, we invest in double strikes because it's probably the best damage in the tree for the nodes.

https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/?p=a95bc80e-3f74-11e7-ae4c-07e1c6e3778f&s=Weapons
Posted Image

Edited by Wattila, 23 May 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#136 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

And here are some of the above ideas I'm currently using on my 3xLPL DRG-1C

EDIT 05-23-2017. Updated the build.

Firepower (23 nodes): Grab all laser duration nodes, and some range and heat gen.

Survival (17 nodes): Left side armor to take advantage of the quirks.

Agility (26 nodes): Full speed tweak and torso speed.

Operations (18 nodes): Pick up all the cool run nodes.

Sensors (6): 100m seismic, better than nothing.

Auxiliary (1 node): Consumable slot.

https://kitlaan.gitl...26a43&s=Weapons
Posted Image

Edited by Wattila, 23 May 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#137 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 19 May 2017 - 06:03 AM, said:

Do what you will.

Edit:
Oh, and welcome back!

Yeah, I just ....IDK.... too many posts, I think some of this needs to be collated and organized, atm this thread is more daunting than the SkilL Tree.

#138 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 May 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

Yeah, I just ....IDK.... too many posts, I think some of this needs to be collated and organized, atm this thread is more daunting than the SkilL Tree.

Maybe take the screenshots of the most common (or best) builds? I'd gladly organize but I've already made two threads to try and help new players with this!

#139 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

View Postcazidin, on 19 May 2017 - 04:06 PM, said:

Maybe take the screenshots of the most common (or best) builds? I'd gladly organize but I've already made two threads to try and help new players with this!

IDK, I tried to streamline my post and failed utterly, so IDK if there is a less visually overwhelming way to do this, lol.

#140 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

Do we need a new contest?
"Mech Pack giveaway for collating and streamlining the skill tree contest entries" Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users