Returning Player

10 replies to this topic

#1 Maitim Anghel

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCentral US

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

Hello to all, I just returned to MWO yesterday played twenty seven battles had a lot of fun..far to much. Next time I must remember to buy some beer before hand, since once you start playing it's hard to stop. So greetings....now for my humble request.
As of right now I have the following mechs......
1) BJ-A
2)CN9-AH
3)MAD-3R.....just bought this one its insanely fun.
I would like to ask for any recommendations of mechs from anyone...I prefer good speed, nice sustainable dps and good survivability. Mostly stick with medium and heavy mechs but am looking also into assaults....the battlemaster, Marauder IIC and the King Crab but open to suggestions.
Not planning on doing any faction warfare until I shake the rust off.

#2 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:51 PM

Bushwackers.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

Crabs are on sale. I recommend them. What is your c-bill balance?

#4 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

Warhammer 6R gives you options.

I'll also recommend the Bushwacker.

#5 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

As a very poor assault player myself I would heartily recommend both the Marauder IIC and Mad Cat MK2 (available for space money soon™) as they play a bit more like fat heavies than regular assaults and even I can do reasonably well in them(OK, they are both Clan and so far all your choices have been Inner Sphere but I am a true mercenary and ride what I like!).

I would also back the choices of Crab and Bushwacker, with my vote (for a newish, inexperienced player) edging towards the Bushwacker for sheer "survivability". My only caveat with the Bushie is that it can be a bit of a struggle finding a build that suits you (there are just so many options!). The Crab, being all energy, is a far simpler prospect.

I would also be very aware that whilst good hitboxes and mobility are huge factors in making both of those mediums good, a lot of their current position is owed to very generous "quirks" and PGI can change them at any time.

#6 Maitim Anghel

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCentral US

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:00 AM

Atm I have only 8.8mil C-bills, will most likely buy a bushwacker soon though which will drain most of that. Just have to look at what variant and get an idea of builds per variant. Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

Edited by Maitim Anghel, 01 January 2018 - 05:02 AM.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

View PostMaitim Anghel, on 01 January 2018 - 05:00 AM, said:

Atm I have only 8.8mil C-bills, will most likely buy a bushwacker soon though which will drain most of that. Just have to look at what variant and get an idea of builds per variant. Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

just bear in mind, if you purchase a Bushwacker you will most likely want to change the engine for a Light Engine (they call come with XLs) so budget for that

#8 Ripnfly

• PipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 97 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

If you want to go clan the Mad Cats 2c or 75 ton are great starter mechs.

#9 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

View PostRipnfly, on 01 January 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

If you want to go clan the Mad Cats 2c or 75 ton are great starter mechs.

There are a surprising number of people that hate on the Mad Cat Mk II and Timber Wolf... Both are some of the best all-rounders I've seen in the game. MCII's are always my personal "primary threat" mechs, (the ones I target first to get rid of the threat) followed by Kodiaks, then the Timber Wolves. (others come after those)

#10 Damian Kaine

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

I'm relatively new to the game but for a medium mech my personal favorite is the CBR-27. You just need to watch your heat, if you do that and support your team your golden. Good durability and firepower.

#11 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

I would like to ask for any recommendations of mechs from anyone...I prefer good speed, nice sustainable dps and good survivability. Mostly stick with medium and heavy mechs but am looking also into assaults....the battlemaster, Marauder IIC and the King Crab but open to suggestions.

Speed, sustainable DPS, and survivability? First thing that comes to mind is the ...

Well DAMN there's a lot of them.

Storm Crow used to be THE medium a couple years ago. Clan lasers got themselves nerfed, but they're still good (except the poor C-SPLs). When 55-tonners were allowed in scouting, the SCR was a favorite for being able to boat SSRMs. 97.2 km/h without speed tweak, hardpoints for DAYS, decent geometry for spreading damage, and all that. Missing two things: Jump Jets, and torso ballistic mounts (has arms, but no torsos). If you're into ECM, then that's another thing it lacks. Still, they're solid mediums, relatively survivable, with all sorts of viable builds.

Linebacker is basically a 65-ton Storm Crow. Not nearly enough free weight for a heavy mech, but enough to do some interesting things. Mobility? Homes, I told you it's a 65-ton SCR. 97.2 without the tweak. It's a heavy doing almost a century. It can do splat builds, it can do laser vomit, it can do gauss vomit, it can do some dakka, it can even LURM if you're into that sort of thing. And did I mention that it's FAST? Cuz it is. For a heavy, anyway.

But yeah, survivable AND quick AND has all the things... Hmm...

Bush(QUIRK)er is apparently some manner of badass. May give that a spin. As a BATTLEmech, you can mess wit the engine to get your preferred speed.

But why not get CRABS?! Okay, so they're almost exclusively laser boats (the Florentine being the exception). They're mobile (50 tons, 325-350 engine cap; you do the arithmetic), they can each boat 5-6 lasers, and at least one of 'em carries JJs. Odd geometry means some interesting tankiness; you're a nose-wiggle away from spreading that damage across all 3 torsos. Think of it as a smaller, all-energy Marauder.

But man oh man are there some options.

Huntsman isn't that GOOD, per se, but I AM loving that sexy mothertrucker....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users