#21 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 17 May 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

I can name a whole bunch of builds using more than that number of double heatsinks, dissipation rates seem to have jumped in importance for clanmechs in particular, but I could be imagining things, and not just for side torso loss related heat problems.

Is it just the mechs I use maybe? IDK heat dissipation has been one of the most noticable nerfs for me, so any relief on that end is snapped up by me.

I've been testing a EBJ 68pt alpha, hottest alpha in the game laser wise, the difference is minimal to which tree is "better"

Better off in firepower atm far as I see it. I'm playing around with one that has the coolrun/ops tree and really, it's about the same.

#22 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

But I agree, the firepower tree is really mfin strong for mechs struggling with lower hardpoint/alpha damage numbers, or who are smothered in cumulative quirks, or anyone looking to up their DPS and even lower some weight if they are ammo heavy.

I am in no way arguing against the values of the firepower tree, just not all mechs need a boost to firepower as much as other aspects.

#23 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 17 May 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

So you use Li Song mech lab?

I'm using in-game numbers.

#24 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 17 May 2017 - 09:32 AM, said:

I've been testing a EBJ 68pt alpha, hottest alpha in the game laser wise, the difference is minimal to which tree is "better"

Better off in firepower atm far as I see it. I'm playing around with one that has the coolrun/ops tree and really, it's about the same.

I guess someone will have to try in a 27(28?) DHS marauderIIC with its 400xl Posted Image

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 17 May 2017 - 09:35 AM.

#25 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 17 May 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

Another one;

20 SP in Operations tree will get you to the full heat containment and coolrun bonuses.

This ends up being very valuable even if you have to take most of the tree to get them.

I'd personally get 3 Cool Run and Heat Containment nodes for 11 points, the last two nodes are too expensive for my taste.

View PostShifty McSwift, on 17 May 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

But I agree, the firepower tree is really mfin strong for mechs struggling with lower hardpoint/alpha damage numbers, or who are smothered in cumulative quirks, or anyone looking to up their DPS and even lower some weight if they are ammo heavy.

I am in no way arguing against the values of the firepower tree, just not all mechs need a boost to firepower as much as other aspects.

The value of the Firepower tree depends a lot on what you're boating. I'd spend 41-43 points for a full laser vomit build (depending on your OCD level, the last heat gen node requires taking a CD node so it's a bit inefficient). If you're running dakka, there's obviously less value in the tree for you (you only really want CD and maybe velocity).

Edited by Wattila, 17 May 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#26 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

So far, I generally agree. Most builds are going to benefit from 60% of the bonuses in three categories rather than 100% in two categories. Mostly.

#27 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

View PostWattila, on 17 May 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'd personally get 3 Cool Run and Heat Containment nodes for 11 points, the last two nodes are too expensive for my taste.

Yep, I agree, those last two in particular are part of my feedback regarding that tree specifically. Good point.

#28 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 17 May 2017 - 09:35 AM, said:

I guess someone will have to try in a 27(28?) DHS marauderIIC with its 400xl Posted Image

I've got 24 on my EBJ Posted Image

Truth be told you actually do a combination of both, but it does depend on what you are doing and what build - hence the "META" for S/T is essentially playing to the mech's main purpose.

Having a bunch of armour/structure on a mech that plays at the 600m+ marker is, largely, pointless. It does not need it.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 17 May 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#29 Acehilator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 667 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 17 May 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

I know you are going to flip but survival will be pretty damn good for a lot of mechs. Firepower is a very expensive tree if you are just looking for heat perks and some mechs have no problems in the firepower department naturally, and no real need to boost. Granted that is a very arguable case as to how far that applies, but in some cases I would be arguing it for sure.

Flip? Nah, this is not a LRM topic, I am totally chill Posted Image

Firepower for me is a really "cheap" tree, of course the value of individual nodes is low, but there are essentially no filler quirks. It is easy to navigate through, and you always pick up something useful. And most importantly, don't forget how much offensive bonuses we lost. Running around with -17% cooldown is not really appealing to me.

Going to edit my first post, made some mistakes, 51 points to divide between Firepower and Mobility now.

Edited by Acehilator, 17 May 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#30 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:04 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 17 May 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

It's not possible to get Torso Speed on the Urbie without also having to have Torso Yaw.

I guess I now have 374.4° torso turn angle!

This is what annoys me about their trees. Urbies shouldn't even have the angle on their tree at all. My energy only mech should not have gauss, lbx and other stuff on the weapon tree. I hope they fix these issues.

#31 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

View PostAcehilator, on 17 May 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

Flip? Nah

I guess I am too used to people jumping down eachothers throat at slight variations in opinion >.<

Another one for the list;

18 in firepower will get you 10% range and 5% (4.8%) cooldowns, for a total of 24 (6 more) you can add 4.5 heat generation.

#32 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

View PostGabrielSun, on 17 May 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

This is what annoys me about their trees. Urbies shouldn't even have the angle on their tree at all. My energy only mech should not have gauss, lbx and other stuff on the weapon tree. I hope they fix these issues.

Having to use torso pitch skills on mechs with no torso weapons is also irksome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users