Suggestions On Clan Assault? Mad Ii

8 replies to this topic

#1 Konseq

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Hi everyone,

I am playing Faction plays on Clan side and want to add an Assault to my dropdeck. I asked in several Faction play lobbies what other players recommend and most of the time the Mad IIC got recommended.

My main questions are:
  • Would you also recommend the Mad IIC?
  • What variant would you recommend? Standard, A, B, C, D?
  • What build would you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:25 PM

It depends on what you are looking to do. I am a fan of the stock weapons load out of the standard variant. However, if you want to build a dedicated erPPC boat, I highly recommend the Warhawk Prime. Many people will tell you that the chassis is dead, but they are grossly mistaken and the damage output and heat control the Warhawk prime is surpassed by none in this game.

#3 Konseq

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:39 AM

I heard PPC-Boating is highly frowned upon. Also right now my current drop deck contains 2 TBRs, 1 Hunchback and 1 Cheetah, so I do have 230 tons. If I replace 1 TBR I have exactly 240 tons. So not only has the Mad IIC been recommended, but it also fits very well into my dropdeck. Any further opinions on the Mad IIC?

Edited by Konseq, 18 May 2017 - 06:43 AM.

#4 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

View PostKonseq, on 18 May 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

I heard PPC-Boating is highly frowned upon

Probably because they are getting killed by it lol. C ER PPC's are great. The WHK isn't top tier, but quad PPC is effective and lore friendly/cool/fun on it.

Any further opinions on the Mad IIC?

Its great. Kodiak and Marauder IIC are top tier right now. Think of a loadout you'd want and pick one with hardpoints to match.

#5 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

I heard PPC-Boating is highly frowned upon.

I could understand that if people are constantly overheating and having to hide. That is a legitimate concern, but every rule has its exception and the Warhawk Prime is it. Same weight as the Mad IIC and if you practice positional awareness with just a tiny bit of trigger control, you can avoid shutting down in all but the most critical of situations.

If you are planning on using the mech for FP, the Warhawk is even better for that role. Your rate of fire will definitely slow down on really hot maps, but so will everyone else. Despite that minor slow down, I can still regularly put out 600-1000 damage in that mech alone during most FP matches.

View PostRoughneck45, on 18 May 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

The WHK isn't top tier, but quad PPC is effective...

Its great. Kodiak and Marauder IIC are top tier right now. Think of a loadout you'd want and pick one with hardpoints to match.

I think the tier system is a good guide for the beginning, but I think it also turns people away from great chassis that may require a little extra time to develop the play style to help that mech dominate. Kodiak is a gigantic target and is regularly focused first. While the Mad IIC is an all around solid mech, I find them to be both higher on the attack priority list as well as beautiful targets when it comes to tearing off torsos and arms.

If you are still set on the Mad IIC, I would suggest considering the Hero variant with 2 LBX 10s, 2 streak 6s, 2 lrm 10s, 2 small lasers, and an Clan Active Probe. It's sweet spot is 200-400 meters (was 200-360 before the new skill tree). Many people will tell you to dump the LRMs, but I have found that my play style benefits from being able to lay down some indirect fire while closing in (it's great in a push because you can fire over your allies when you don't have a direct line of sight) and when you get to brawling range, the missile diversity will help reduce your risk of overheating.

#6 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 559 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

Well the standard variant has nine energy hardpoints. The A has three ballistic. The B has two missile and jumpjets. The C is basically the A with jumpjets. The D has two missile and ballistic with ECM. The Scorch has two ballistic and four missile. So take your pick.

Personally, I find it telling that even though omnimechs are supposed to be superior to battlemechs, some of the best mechs in the game are battlemechs. Anyone else notice that?

Edited by Jep Jorgensson, 19 May 2017 - 12:43 AM.

#7 Konseq

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 18 May 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

I have read that the Mad IIC Standardversion has a heat problem. So PPC-boating probably has the same problem. Thus I am considering a version with Ballistics or maybe even missiles to be less affected by heat. What build would you personally recommend for the first assault mech of a player?

Also, so far I have been using the website metamechs.com for build recommendations and was satisfied with it. But for the Mad IIC there is no build recommendation. Can you recommend any good builds or websites for good builds?

Edited by Konseq, 18 May 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#8 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostKonseq, on 18 May 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Also, so far I have been using the website metamechs.com for build recommendations and was satisfied with it. But for the Mad IIC there is no build recommendation. Can you recommend any good builds or websites for good builds?

There are builds for them.

Click the Build Database tab at the top, or the read more button to the right, then scroll down the list to the 85 ton section, builds for every variant, 10 total.

Edited by Roughneck45, 18 May 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#9 A_Velociraptor

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

Solution get a Man-Goyle and kit it out with 8 SL and 2 LPL's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users