Old Skill Tree>New Skill Tree. Evidence Inside!

91 replies to this topic

#21 Abner Osis

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:38 PM

Well,

Time Sink: Took maybe 15 mins of clicking around the first time to get the new system, I'm sure in a week or so it will be down to 2 mins for a solid build. From here on out it will take 0 minutes on that 'Mech. It is no more a time sink than complaining about a new map going in because you have to play it a few times to get the hang of it.

Nothing New: No need to repeat all the new stuff that other posters have cited.

No reward: I'd say the reward is playing a build that suits your play style slightly better than the old system, since there are definitely some trade offs to be made.

Woe for new players: It is no more complicated than progression in other modern MMOs. MechLab is a much bigger hurdle for someone unfamiliar with BattleTech.

I like to drive 'Mechs: Since your point is that it adds nothing new, the only difference between old and skill tree is 2-3 mins per chassis once. Unless you want to skill 100 'Mechs in a few days, the skill tree does nothing to limit your cockpit time.

Medium assaults: Most of the 'Mechs with heavy armor or structure quirks were terrible. If someone wants to make a Vindicator that has the speed and armor of a heavy to go with the firepower of a light, less power to them. I won't be shooting at it unless there is nothing else in LoS.

#22 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:05 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 17 May 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

Time sink- I love people reading posts where people say, "After an hour of playing with the new skill tree my mech performs just as well as before". So you spent an hour to end up where you started. And you think that is a good thing? Then I guess your time is not that valuable or maybe you do not own that many mechs (because maybe your time is not that valuable). Question, would you spend an hour in line just to end up at the back of the line?

To conserve balance, things had to be taken away, and since it was a global nerf, I don't mind.. every mech got hit, and the field is the same for everybody.. Personally, I value my time, but I play the game to kill time, not earn it. If I'm having fun in the mech lab or on the battlefield, I'm still having fun..

Adds nothing new- What new features were added with this glorious skill tree? Zero, zip, nada. We already had what this new skill tree had to offer in simpler form. Now if there was a hand-to-hand tree or a field repair tree or a mech commander tree or just any new feature then there would be reason to create a new tree. But instead we are praising PGI for giving us something we already had.

Oh, sorry, you're telling me you could launch 2 UAV's, 2 Arty's and a Cool shot from a single mech before? Didn't know that Posted Image

No new reward system- Day one hour one and people are giving instructions on how to avoid useless nodes. So that means PGI spent time and money giving us a skill tree with something that we already have and that we already do not use. Creating new rewards that would promote all nodes to be used...that is crazy talk! Old tree is fine for same old reward system.

This is an attempt to min/max, and T1 tryhards will always try to find ways to do that.. But the truth is - ALL nodes are usefull, just not to every mech.. but they are usefull to some mechs. You just gotta find what works for you.. For instance, I put the whole agility tree on a Night Gyr, cose' it needs it.. and none of those nodes on a Shadow Cat, cose' it doesn't need it..

New skill tree is woe for new players- People are saying, "This is great for new players. It gives them a sense of progression!" Huh? How much "progression" is to be had with low player populations and the gates open between T1 and T5? How much fun will it be for a new player to pilot a new mech with no nodes unlocked versus a bloodthirsty try hard with max firepower destroying them in one shot and max armor they can't pierce? The new skill tree is a seal clubbers wet dream. The old skill tree in and of itself did not create a huge separation between new and old players.

MWO is, and always will be woe to new players. This is not new. The gap between mastered T1 beast and "started yesterday, still in Trials" has always been humongous. This is not new.

I like to drive mechs- the new skill tree has a more pronounced effect on how well you perform than with the old skill tree. Don't believe me? Find a friend that doesn't know how to play beyond having run the tutorial. Let them pilot your fully skilled Atlas and you pilot an Atlas with no skill nodes unlocked. Let me know how that goes. Your worth should be proven on the battlefield, not the mechlab.

The new skill tree has a more profound effect on performance? I'm pretty sure THAT WAS THE IDEA. The original tree was a place holder that had a negligible effect on mech performance.. And keep in mind the new tree = old tree + quirks + modules.

My worth should be proven on the field? So you telling me that you wanna completely ignore customization, mech building and that in a realistic fight, the fact that I brought enough ammo, am tacking you from a satellite in real time and am communicating your exact location to my whole team while you're fighting with an Ak47 and a knife should not matter? OK.. Maybe you should go play Mortal Combat or something, and Mechwarrior is not for you..

New skill tree, creating medium assaults since 2017- Lastly, the old skill tree you could tell the difference between a medium and an assault. The new skill tree it can be impossible. A fully skilled Vindicator should not have 9 less front CT armor than a non-skilled Boar's Head. Period. That is just plain broken.

So you're saying that a fully invested-in, tricked out Ford Fiesta should not be able to go as fast as a out-of-the-shop standard Porsche?

Dude, do you even Tune?

Also, If I'm in a stock atlas and a "started to play yesterday" player is in a fully mastered atlas.. I still kill him with ease.. cose' he's got no idea how to play that atlas.. Skill > Quirks every time..

In conclusion:

You obviously either have no realistic concept of the world and it's workings, or have some unrealistic expectations of what MWO should be. Customization is good. Change is good. Variety is good.

You need to accept this.

Adapt, Survive, Thrive.

Or go play Mario Cart..

#23 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:25 AM

View PostRuar, on 17 May 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

You are not including all of the data though. You've cherry picked the items you like.

Of course. It is yet another Ted Wayz troll thread with neither evidence inside, nor interest in actual discussion other than sparking derision.

#24 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:16 AM

Both of them suck pretty equally and neither did f all to provide any game balance mechanics.

#25 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:53 AM

From a new player point of view, i think it will be far better. Why? Because after i played around with a couple of mastered mechs, i decided to master one of my nova's that had not. I Started working on it, but got to basics. So that means about 10 matches, maybe 15 tops as i had premium time running.

I spent yesterday afternoon playing my nova, and leveling it. I went from 21 points, to 61 points in a few hours.. basically two evenings i would have a fully mastered mech, at the cost of mech+4m for a new player and 70k XP

Not, mech, + mech, + mech, Plus grind 2 others, with the very least another 80k XP.. and on top of that how long to grind out 100k GXP to unlock modules? My clan account that i was playing on is over a year old, and i JUST started unlocking weapon modules, and in large part because of event GXP bonuses. My GXP refund was a about 140K GXP on my account that has almost 2k matches, and about 15 months old.

So old system.. 2k's of matches and tons of time.. new system, i could have a mastered and kitted out mech in 25 cadet matches. Which one is better for new players again?

besides when you level from scratch, its easy.. Are you running hot? Add operations, Need some mobility/speed then take the right side of mobility tree, Want to brawl take left. LRMs, or streaks or light hunters, take the right side of sensors, trouble with LRM's and situational awareness take left side.

weapons, want range, take the top rows, want cool down and heat gen use the middle of the tree, have some specific weapon needs work towards those.

Want to be more nitch, like jump sniper, maybe add a few nodes there, or brawler, well if you already are stacking structure/armor bonuses add more.

Its a rather simple system that after playing around for a single day i can really see potential. I made 3 farily different builds on my novas, One dual PPC, one SPL, and one mixed laser build.. They all had different trees, and really helped them in their nitch.

But from a new player to mastered mech, this skill tree is worlds better.. if you can't see that you have been playing a vet account far to long.

#26 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:13 AM

The problem for new players is they get thrown into the same pool as vets and won't be able to figure out why there is such a massive power difference between them.

At least before it wasn't quite so confusing for a new player to look and see that they needed to have 3 mechs and a bunch of matches. Not that it was any better experience wise because of the reward system, but just easier to figure out.

They really just need to break it down and make it a zero-sum system so vets can specialize but everyone is at roughly the same power level outside of loadouts. Huge power level gaps are simply a terrible thing for NPE.

#27 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 17 May 2017 - 06:11 PM, said:

Point by point arguments are rage post, or people that disagree with you are "rage posters"? C'mon, be honest.

What arguments? All you did was post point-by-point hyperbole.

How much time? Been here four years, maybe another four years? Maybe by then I can finish skill'ing my mechs up.

If it takes you four years to re-skill your Mechs, then you have done something drastically wrong indeed. Only an idiot would take that long to re-skill everything.

Oh and tell me about those great scouting rewards. I await the influx of triple AMS, TAG, NARC, no weapon mechs because the rewards are stunningly awesome.

You're being overly sarcastic. I never stated that people should forgo weapons to equip all that. All I did was state that scouting rewards do exist, and that the new skill tree will be a passive buff to them. This is true. You're hyper-emotional response is a ludicrous caricature illustrating just how badly someone who is emotionally bent can warp things.

All that money and time to stand still. It is okay to admit, really.

That makes no sense. I'm not standing still. I'm forging ahead with the new Skill Tree and loving it while I do. If you decide to stand still and whine, then that is up to you. The rest of us will leave you behind.

Just keep in mind that the majority of people posting on this thread have disagreed with you and called you out on your emotional fallacies. It's time to stop deluding yourself and MechWarrior Up!

#28 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

The best three quotes that Ted should take to heart:

View PostVellron2005, on 18 May 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

Customization is good.

Change is good.

Variety is good.

You need to accept this.

Adapt, Survive, Thrive.

Or go play Mario Cart..

View PostJC Daxion, on 18 May 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

But from a new player to mastered mech, this skill tree is worlds better.. if you can't see that you have been playing a vet account far to long.

View PostCed Riggs, on 18 May 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

Of course. It is yet another Ted Wayz troll thread with neither evidence inside, nor interest in actual discussion other than sparking derision.

'Nuff said.

Edited by Nightmare1, 18 May 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#29 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

Valid points except...they are not.

Anything > than zero is more effort. So even 1 minute spent in the mechlab instead of in-game or doing something IRL is one more minute than what I want to spend to end up at the same place, playing the same game, with the same rewards.

I am glad all of you have nothing better to do or no value for your time. But in the purest sense you cannot disagree that one second spent doing something for no gain is one second wasted. And any time spent above zero equates to extra burden.

If you continue to disagree with math and logic, what does it really say?

In any event, woe to the new player. Based on all I am reading from supporters and detractors...not a good place for them right now.

Last piece of math. Earlier this week over 300 mechs skilled. Now? Zero.

#30 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 18 May 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

And by sunday you'll have 4 of them buffed right back to where they were last week.

#31 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Valid points except...they are not.

This describes your "points" more than the community's.

Anything > than zero is more effort. So even 1 minute spent in the mechlab instead of in-game or doing something IRL is one more minute than what I want to spend to end up at the same place, playing the same game, with the same rewards.

...And yet, the new skill tree is faster than the old one since you don't have to grind away on three different Mechs. Frankly, customizing a Mech in under 10 minutes beats blandly leveling three separate Mechs with no customization. By the same token, grinding a handful of hours to master a Mech under the new system beats grinding for days to master three mechs under the old one. The new skill system actually saves you time.

You're inconvenienced at the moment because you have to re-skill your stuff. You won't honestly apply yourself to it because you have a prejudice against it. So, you come to the forums to whine about it, then complain that everyone else is wrong and you're the only one that's right.

You're deluding yourself.

I am glad all of you have nothing better to do or no value for your time. But in the purest sense you cannot disagree that one second spent doing something for no gain is one second wasted. And any time spent above zero equates to extra burden.

What extra burden? The new skill tree is better and faster than the old one for level progression. Applying your logic and comparing the old and new side by side actually make the old one less valuable in the "purest sense."

If you continue to disagree with math and logic, what does it really say?

What math? All you've done is hype your emotions and call them math. Where's your data?

What logic? You've been spouting nonsense and then getting your feelings hurt when EVERYONE on the thread tells you you're wrong.

In any event, woe to the new player. Based on all I am reading from supporters and detractors...not a good place for them right now.

This new tree is more new player friendly than the old one. Just the fact that you don't need to purchase three Mechs is in and of itself powerful enough proof alone.

That's not really math to support your argument. All we get out of this is the following:

1) Earlier this week you had >300 skilled
2) Skill tree was changed and now you have to re-skill
3) You are too lazy to re-skill, so you come whine to the forums about how big and bad PGI is for inconveniencing you

This doesn't help your argument. If anything, it actually hurts it. Grow up a bit there Snowflake and actually give the skill tree a chance before you condemn it. I can't stand griefers like you who whine just because something changed and you don't like the fact that "change" occurred.

Here's some math for you:
I own 145 Mechs. I know from experience that I can Master a Mech in 10 minutes if I'm moving slow. I can do it in 5 minutes if I'm in a hurry. That means that the time required for me to re-Master all my Mechs is somewhere between 12.1 hours and 24.2 hours. I'm honestly okay with that. I own a lot of Mechs, so I anticipated that it would take time to re-Master them all. I was prepared to accept it. I was actually surprised that I can re-Master as quickly as I can.

On top of that, since I now longer need to own three and have an over-abundance of C-bills, I will probably start selling a lot of my extra Mechs that I never run, so that I can purchase new chassis I haven't tried yet. That means that I won't really have to re-level all of them.

Lastly, I'm not so foolish as to sit down and try to force myself to re-master everything in one go. I'll re-Master about 12 Mechs to start myself off, and then gradually re-master the rest as I decide to play them. That breaks the monotony up and makes more efficient use of my time.

Play smart, recognize the good in the skill tree, don't let your emotions rule you, and quit griefing for the sake of griefing. I guarantee you'll have a better gaming experience if you do those things.

View Postsycocys, on 18 May 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

And by sunday you'll have 4 of them buffed right back to where they were last week.

Assuredly more if he'll spend less time griefing on the forums and more time in the Mechlab. He could have easily had a quarter of them re-mastered by now.

Edited by Nightmare1, 18 May 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#32 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

Time sink- I love people reading posts where people say, "After an hour of playing with the new skill tree my mech performs just as well as before". So you spent an hour to end up where you started. And you think that is a good thing? Then I guess your time is not that valuable or maybe you do not own that many mechs (because maybe your time is not that valuable). Question, would you spend an hour in line just to end up at the back of the line?

It's not about getting your mech "where you started". The skill tree offers many other options that weren't there before. Mechs that had no Acc/Dec/Turn quirks can have them now. Mechs that had no armour or structure quirks can have them. Mechs that had no weapons quirks can now have them. You can even take less damage from falls, increase crit damage for missiles, increase magazine capacity. You can have defensive crit quirks for all mechs now if you use Skill Points. You can even exceed previous mech stats. Mechs that had <20% Acc/Dec can now exceed that to 24.5% by using Skill Points. Jump jets work better, I can take less screen shake and climb hills faster, and I can even take up to 5 Consumables - impossible with the old system.

Adds nothing new- What new features were added with this glorious skill tree? Zero, zip, nada. We already had what this new skill tree had to offer in simpler form. Now if there was a hand-to-hand tree or a field repair tree or a mech commander tree or just any new feature then there would be reason to create a new tree. But instead we are praising PGI for giving us something we already had.

Your whole post is that you are trying to prove the old skill tree is better. You've upended your whole argument by the premise, "adds nothing new". How can an old skill tree be better than a new one if nothing is new?

No new reward system- Day one hour one and people are giving instructions on how to avoid useless nodes. So that means PGI spent time and money giving us a skill tree with something that we already have and that we already do not use. Creating new rewards that would promote all nodes to be used...that is crazy talk! Old tree is fine for same old reward system.

Same as above. You've defeated your own argument. How can an old system be better than a new system if there is nothing new?

New skill tree is woe for new players- People are saying, "This is great for new players. It gives them a sense of progression!" Huh? How much "progression" is to be had with low player populations and the gates open between T1 and T5? How much fun will it be for a new player to pilot a new mech with no nodes unlocked versus a bloodthirsty try hard with max firepower destroying them in one shot and max armor they can't pierce? The new skill tree is a seal clubbers wet dream. The old skill tree in and of itself did not create a huge separation between new and old players.

To unlock something in the old Basic Tree it might cost as much as 3500 xp. That is several matches worth of playing and grinding. In the new skill tree you can unlock something almost every match and have a much greater variety.

I like to drive mechs- the new skill tree has a more pronounced effect on how well you perform than with the old skill tree. Don't believe me? Find a friend that doesn't know how to play beyond having run the tutorial. Let them pilot your fully skilled Atlas and you pilot an Atlas with no skill nodes unlocked. Let me know how that goes. Your worth should be proven on the battlefield, not the mechlab.

Success in the mechlab has always been essential in previous installments of the Mechwarrior Franchise.

New skill tree, creating medium assaults since 2017- Lastly, the old skill tree you could tell the difference between a medium and an assault. The new skill tree it can be impossible. A fully skilled Vindicator should not have 9 less front CT armor than a non-skilled Boar's Head. Period. That is just plain broken.

Only if you invest points in Survival. It is not required and sacrifices ignoring other aspects of the tree and therefore performance.

Great discussion post though.

#33 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

I honestly don't care about the tree. I liked my King Crab and MADIIC exactly the way they were (both max'ed out). Now they both have glass jaws and do a third of the damage. I really couldn't care the least about the new/old tree...I just want my mechs back.

#34 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Honestly, I will never understand people liking more a FIX set of quirks (if any... see hellbringer previously) PER VARIANT than a CUSTOM set of quirks PER MECH, loadout wise.

Then, seriously..... if anyone calls it a ...maze.... well...I know that there are people with reading issues around there....

#35 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

View PostRuar, on 17 May 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

Old tree meant more grind to get the one mech you like. I have three marauder's but I only like one of them. However under the old tree I had to play all three in order to maximize the one I like. It's not a revenue thing, it's a fun thing.

Half positives are still positive. You can't arbitrarily dismiss them simply because you want something better. It's an improvement, even if there is more room to improve.

You made no point about rewards. You rambled about rewards without making sense. We've had the role rewards discussion and I've consistently shown you the logic of how it can work and why what you are thinking is flawed. You consistently deny the logic. That doesn't mean I'm wrong, it just means you refuse to admit you are wrong.

You specifically said someone's worth shouldn't be measured because of the mechlab and I specifically showed you why that idea was wrong. Instead of engaging that thought you are building a straw man.

You can deny the answers you don't like but it doesn't mean your point carries. Continue telling yourself you know something though, the rest of us know better. You're kind of like the Jon Snow of MWO.

So, in your mind the change to the skill tree and the need to master 3 mechs went hand in hand? What if they'd simply said "Now you don't have to master three variants"? Is that still tied to the skill tree?

I think his point carries. And obviously the rest of us isn't really the rest of us.

#36 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 18 May 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

Honestly, I will never understand people liking more a FIX set of quirks (if any... see hellbringer previously) PER VARIANT than a CUSTOM set of quirks PER MECH, loadout wise.

Then, seriously..... if anyone calls it a ...maze.... well...I know that there are people with reading issues around there....

It is all dependent on how you play and support this game.

If I just wanted to max out my one binky, or maybe even a half dozen per weight class. Yippee! Wouldn't be that much of a burden. Heck you could do that without paying a penny to PGI.

But if you invested in over 300 mechs that you could just grab whichever you wanted to take for a spin on a whim and ardently supported PGI financially....this system sucks big time.

Do I skill up the new mech I bought or do I want to spend time in the mech lab so that when the anniversary of Sarah's mech being released I can pilot it...

I have money but not much time. Hate to break it to you, but PGI runs on money, not people putting time into MWO.

And why? To get back to zero? Or as people are reporting less than zero?

But time is on my side. The true horror of the skill tree is yet to be revealed when the bloom is off the rose and people realize they have made a mistake on their tree and try to undo it. Or PGI decides to "tweak" the tree forcing people into changes.

Have fun chicklets!

#37 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

View PostAstrocanis, on 18 May 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

So, in your mind the change to the skill tree and the need to master 3 mechs went hand in hand? What if they'd simply said "Now you don't have to master three variants"? Is that still tied to the skill tree?

I think his point carries. And obviously the rest of us isn't really the rest of us.

Except... they never unlocked the old skill system from the three mech requirement. They even said they didn't like having that restriction in there, but never removed it. We can safely assume there was something about the coding of the old system that had the three mech requirement embedded.

And I agree, the three requirement portion doesn't necessarily have to be tied to implementing the new tree, but it seems it required a new tree to get to that point. If at some point they tell us they could have removed the three mech requirement under the old system then I'll admit to being wrong and acknowledge that we shouldn't count it as a positive of the new tree.

#38 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:43 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 18 May 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

It is all dependent on how you play and support this game.

If I just wanted to max out my one binky, or maybe even a half dozen per weight class. Yippee! Wouldn't be that much of a burden. Heck you could do that without paying a penny to PGI.

But if you invested in over 300 mechs that you could just grab whichever you wanted to take for a spin on a whim and ardently supported PGI financially....this system sucks big time.

Do I skill up the new mech I bought or do I want to spend time in the mech lab so that when the anniversary of Sarah's mech being released I can pilot it...

I have money but not much time. Hate to break it to you, but PGI runs on money, not people putting time into MWO.

And why? To get back to zero? Or as people are reporting less than zero?

But time is on my side. The true horror of the skill tree is yet to be revealed when the bloom is off the rose and people realize they have made a mistake on their tree and try to undo it. Or PGI decides to "tweak" the tree forcing people into changes.

Have fun chicklets!

You changed your argument and are now saying the new tree is bad because it costs to respec. Something most people will agree with. Throwing that in doesn't somehow make the rest of your illogical points actually work though.

And you keep talking about wasted time in a game based on the foundation of wasting time rearranging, remaking, rebuilding mechs. Having a customizable skill tree is just another extension of one of the bedrock tenets of the game. Which means you can't tell people they are wasting their time picking out skills when people enjoy taking the time to build their mechs.

What you can argue is the new tree is unnecessarily complex and bloated, a point many with agree with. That doesn't mean the old skill system was superior, just that there is room for improvement in the new one.

#39 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

View PostRuar, on 18 May 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

Except... they never unlocked the old skill system from the three mech requirement. They even said they didn't like having that restriction in there, but never removed it. We can safely assume there was something about the coding of the old system that had the three mech requirement embedded.

And I agree, the three requirement portion doesn't necessarily have to be tied to implementing the new tree, but it seems it required a new tree to get to that point. If at some point they tell us they could have removed the three mech requirement under the old system then I'll admit to being wrong and acknowledge that we shouldn't count it as a positive of the new tree.

Straw men are fun.

There is nothing obvious about Paul and company. And a technical implementation restriction still has no effect on this discussion, which is "is the new skill tree better than the old"? Has nothing at all to do with extraneous things, which are not directly tied to the tree itself, like 3 variant mastery or engine decoupling.

If your argument is completely based (or mostly based) on "now we don't have to deal with three variants", you are answering "what's your favorite color?" with "I like pie."

Edited by Astrocanis, 18 May 2017 - 06:49 PM.

#40 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 18 May 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

I own 145 Mechs. I know from experience that I can Master a Mech in 10 minutes if I'm moving slow. I can do it in 5 minutes if I'm in a hurry. That means that the time required for me to re-Master all my Mechs is somewhere between 12.1 hours and 24.2 hours. I'm honestly okay with that. I own a lot of Mechs, so I anticipated that it would take time to re-Master them all. I was prepared to accept it. I was actually surprised that I can re-Master as quickly as I can.

You could probably cut that down to a minute when they introduce that quick-pathing they are talking about. Click a node father down the tree and it would path the shortest distance. Should cut down time to a minute or two when doing it in a hurry.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users