Faction Play Invasion Lag/extreme Loading Time

15 replies to this topic

#1 Redoubt010

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:43 AM

Hi i have to following issue:

When playing MWO i have perfect preformance when playing quick matches or faction play scouting.

The problem arises when i try to play invasion mode. The loading times suddenly become extremely long (5 min+) and i end up coming late in every game. Also at some point i can hear the VoIP talk but i am still stuck in the loading screen. Also when i finally do arrive ingame there are massive lag spike's and screen freezes. very intense at drop and fading slightly when te game progresses.

I have already lowered my graphics settings a bit but in quick play i can play max with no problems. I might be a bit low on RAM (only 6 GB) but it has been sufficient for the rest so im at a loss.

Anyone got a solution please share.

Kind regards,

Redoubt010

#2 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

You can always try running the Repair tool from the initial splash screen when you start MWO - top right hand side. Possible that your cache or other overspill files are just too full and you need to clear it down with the repair tool, can often happen after lots of patches, so now may be a good time to run it.

#3 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:39 PM

6 gb of ram should be plenty to play this, most versions of windows will take around 1gb, I've played for a long time on 4gb, while recording games, but my pc tends to be more streamlined than the average windoze build ...

do you normally restrict to your 'local' server ? because if so, you might be interested to know, that the only FP servers are in Canada ... so, whatever your connection is like to the NA servers, is how FP will be, at best .... not to mention all the extra crapola itself just in FP .... theres a key you can press, that turns off some of the excessive flash elements, its usually -> ; <- ... if your pc sits on the loading screen, but doesn't crash ... I'd tend to think that's probably network related ... if you miss one packet during that process, your not progressing to the next screen, and that packet that told you to move on, is never re-sent ... so if it is network related, you've got two main pathways to work out wether its at your end with something you can control, like wifi, or beyond your equipment, and something your ISP does ( I was with one once who would 'break' any tcpip comms that had gone longer than 1hr, and always reset anything they deemed to be torrent like )

alternatively, you might want to try defragging the drive that the game files are on ... depending on what its state is like, the game might have to on-demand fetch files from all over your hard drive, and if its not an SSD, that can have a nasty impact ....

#4 Redoubt010

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thx guys for the suggestions. I have since run the repair tool but it did not fix it.
And btw i only disable oceanic servers..

I will try to check if its network related.(Does someone know if faction loading is different from quick play loading?) Also i'm on CAT5 so wifi is not the problem at least.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

Control Panel, Power Options, set to High Performance.

Do you see any difference if you reboot your computer then simply start up the game without bringing up other programs?

And, besides your MWO folder, do you have your Saved Games\Mechwarrior Online excluded from active scanning?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 21 May 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#6 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

Out of interest Redoubt, where are you based? If you're pushing 350'ish ping, you may well be getting the usual lag and dropped packets that interfere with many people not in Northern Europe, States or Canada. We had one lad from South Africa who ended up barely being able to hold ping below 500 due to isp routing . . . . trace may be worth running to see if there's a bottle neck somewhere else.

#7 Redoubt010

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

Im based in netherlands and i get 20-30 ping on EU servers. 90-100 ish on NA servers.

No difference on start-up. I have also tried stopping all other programs running too boost performance but no cigar.

Traceroute gave me no real answer, routes trough some german french and canadian servers giving me a ping of 92.

Also a line connection check gave me the following:

Packets Lost: None
Latency: 18.752ms
Jitter: 3ms

Granted its not to the mwo servers but there seems to be no issue on my side connection wise.

I just defragmented my hard drive and ill give it another shot.

EDIT: I figured out the problem guys. Its the RAM. I monitored it during loading and its just creeps up to 5gb and stops then loading freezes.(spinning circle bottom left) For some reason it won't use the full 6 GB (im guessing OS uses 1 or so). But yeah gonna try enabling the page file on my SSD in addition to my hard drive page file and see if that helps.

Edited by Redoubt010, 22 May 2017 - 12:11 PM.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

What OS are you using, and is it 64bit or 32bit? And the ram is that a 4gig and a 2gig sticks? or 3x2gig sticks?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 22 May 2017 - 05:13 PM.

#9 Redoubt010

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:16 AM

Im on windows 7 x64 (64 bit). Running 3x 2 gig sticks. DDR3 and at least a decent speed if i remember correctly (brand Kingston hyperX)

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5081152

For testing, try running MWO in 32bit. The above will show you how to create the shortcut to run 32bit version.

#11 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

usually, windows 'caches' things its read into memory under the assumption that you might want to read that file again .... so you have to be very careful when your looking at monitoring tools to be aware of what values they are deriving ... for instance, at my end, sitting on the mechlab, the game is 'actually' using 1gb of ram, but has 2 more gb of data cached, and depending on which tool your using, the process might report using 1gb of ram, or 3gb of ram, depending how that person felt like counting ... looking through my tasks, I'm actively using 2gb, but most tools will say 4gb ...

*update*

so I nearly killed my pc earlier messing around with a few things to look at your problem ... not your fault ... and not exactly related ... but it happened along the way .... so I decided to fill out my RAM, and launched multiple ramdisks to occupy the free space ... I launched the game, with about 300mb 'free', and yes oh yes, did I see the sorts of behaviour your talking about ... the loading spinner just stop randomly, multiple micropauses every second in game, and the map selection screen ending even though my timer said 17 seconds, and late entry into the game .... the page file usage went a bit mental, I can only imagine if it wasn't on an SSD that it would have been 10x worse, which would have made it literally unplayable ....

so where does that leave us (you) ... well, I'm not overly sure ... but I'd stick to the theory of testing the ram, theres all sorts of software that can do it, most of it will take a long time to really establish good or bad, like overnight type thing ... I'd pull out a stick, and do some testing with two sticks at a time, see if the problem persists, you might want to check to make sure that the SPD data for all three chips is the same, and if it isn't, put the 'worst timing' chip into the first slot, a lot of the early ddr3 boards that I've seen ( mostly AMD ) only really call the SPD on the first chip (closest to CPU usually), and assumed those values for the others, if chip 1 is CL9 and chip 3 is CL10, stuff can get weird, and be almost impossible to diagnose and find because of the randomness of random access memory ... my daughters motherboard has two mismatched sticks in it, that look exactly the same externally, but if you put the faster chip in the first slot, it wont even boot (its the only intel in my house, and I hate it) ....

Edited by NARC BAIT, 24 May 2017 - 06:34 AM.

#12 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:06 AM

What are your system specs?

Faction play doens't differ that much from quickplay. They are always on US server.

Hmmm. I can see the game uses about 5 GB on quickplay, so that definetly can be a problem if you only have a total of 6. You do have swap configurated do you? Even managed to get over 6 GB after few more battles. Ill see if I can get into invasion game to see how much FP uses.

But there's no way to know how much of it is being actively used during a battle.

But, given you have so little memory, a small upgrade should be relatively cheap. I'm guessing your computer is relatively old so I can understand you don't want to put much more money to it.

Update: On invansion match, skirmish on Terra Therma, the game used 9 GB of ram. On mechlab about 2 GB. this obviously with 64 bit client.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 26 May 2017 - 06:40 AM.

#13 Redoubt010

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

I actually had been running the 32bit version unknowingly.(desktop shortcut) I tried the 64 Bit and the 32 bit again but no difference.

My PC is about 5 years old.(save for an GPU upgrade) So its about time for an upgrade. But the RAM has not been an issue with a lot of other game i play. The only one that capped me on RAM was The witcher 3. I figured that MWO should still run fine on my box since its an older game.

For further info i run on Intel CPU and not Amd. But i do recall it being an early DDR3 board. I might give swapping around the ram banks a go. In case they are mismatched. But i am fairly sure im just short on RAM, since its not an issue in a lot of other games i play. (even when running a bunch of background tasks: Firefox,steam,skype ect.)

Also i might have a good excuse to build a new PC which is also fun. She was just running too strong up to this point.

#14 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:48 PM

The only way to run 32bit is if your OS is 32bit, or you created a 32bit short but it would only work ONCE the game has been patched each time, if your system was 64bit...

#15 Redoubt010

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

Weird when i used the find location function it showed the bin32 folder. And i had to manually change it to link the bin64 folder. Also i don't remember ever making a shortcut in the first place.(granted its been installed for a couple of years but i only recently started to play again). Also i am certain my OS is 64bit.

#16 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:13 AM

View PostRedoubt010, on 31 May 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

Weird when i used the find location function it showed the bin32 folder. And i had to manually change it to link the bin64 folder. Also i don't remember ever making a shortcut in the first place.(granted its been installed for a couple of years but i only recently started to play again). Also i am certain my OS is 64bit.

The launcher is the one you should shortcut to. That is always 32 bit. But the launcher starts the actual game which is likely 64 bit.

You can manually execute the 32 bit game client too, or create a shortcut for it. It won't update the game though.

If you look with task manager, it will display 32 bit for 32 bit programs.

I wonder how the 32 bit version works. Like I said; i checked that the FP games take about 8-9 GB of memory. 32 bit executable can only use 2 GB.
Even if you account a lot of bad coding, you can't archive with 2 GB what you archive with 8 GB. Does the game drop out a lot of stuff, or what?

update:
This is very odd. I tried 32 bit client and I could play invasion matches just fine, the game used something like 1.7 GB of memory. All the graphics seemed same. The only diference I could see, heat vision and night vision were completely unusable, as they just turned nearly everything black. You could not see walls and such, and so it was not usable.

So it seems the 64 bit version just wastes a lot memory. Though it could be, that it only reserves it, without actually using it, and thus it can get pushed away into swap, on a computer with limited memory.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 09 June 2017 - 04:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users