Radar Deprivation And Ams Still Work. No Change There. Please Remember To Cite This Fact.

106 replies to this topic

#81 Hestan

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 20 May 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

My BLR-2C has 2xAMS, +2.5 AMS damage, and 60% Raderp. 1000 rounds of AMS ammo gone in 15 seconds. Didn't get to see just how many missiles I managed to swat down.

*edit* They can completely shut down CLRM20 volley. Which means they are totally worth it.

You can see how many missiles at the end of the match on the score breakdown in the middle column. Usually scroll down to the bottom. Best match for me was 1700+ missiles shot down in one of my triple AMS mechs. With my standard mechs, usually get around 200+ missiles down per match. That is almost like having 50% more armor against missile users.

#82 TheMisled

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLocked in a brawl with another mech on some distant planet.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

So I guess I should add my own thoughts on this. From my experience, AMS was a complete waste of tonnage. I had a few spare tonnes on my victor so I decided to equip an AMS on it with two tonnes of ammo and take it out for a spin. The map that I got was the ever popular Tourmaline Desert. While playing a light popped it's head over the crest and spotted me soon to be followed by the usual Incoming Missiles warning I see way too often. I decided to watch how my well the AMS I had equipped would work on the incoming rain of a lot of LRM 5s (seemingly the most popular choice for LRM boats). The first batch my AMS destroyed 3 missiles, which was good, second batch 1 or 2, ok still a slight improvement over taking all 5 but beyond that it would destroy 0-1 missiles of each oncoming volley. That was from a single LRM boat over the ridge who I couldn't even see to get a shot off on. If tht were while he had LoS on me (I subsequently would have LoS on him as well) I would have been fine with taking those hit becuase I could return the favour but that fact that he could do all of that (put me down to about 67%) without exposing himself in the slightest which is why I stongly believe that LRMs fired without LoS need to be nerferd. They are just too effective with such little risk to them.

#83 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

One triple AMS Kit Fox was able to completely nullify 2 LRM15s. This seems extreme.

#84 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:13 PM

View Postr4plez, on 20 May 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

Great topic for all LRM whiners. Skiping AMS and R.Deprivation nodes have its drawback - remmember kids Posted Image

Not if you know how to use cover and stack votes against Polar.

And i pilot Dires in Solo.

#85 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Another match, this time with my 4xLRM10 Catapult

53 damage. None of my salvos could land with all the AMS in the field. LRMs are even more useless than ever.

#86 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 05 June 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

One triple AMS Kit Fox was able to completely nullify 2 LRM15s. This seems extreme.

A slow, squishy light dedicating at least 2.0 tons (more likely >3.5 tons) of its 14.5 free tons to anti-missile measures actually being good at its job doesn't seem extreme to me.

#87 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 June 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

A slow, squishy light dedicating at least 2.0 tons (more likely >3.5 tons) of its 14.5 free tons to anti-missile measures actually being good at its job doesn't seem extreme to me.

When you consider that my slow, squishy CPLT-C1 is dedicating 25 tons for 2 ALRM15s, TAG, BAP, and ammo, it seems pretty extreme!

#88 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 05 June 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

When you consider that my slow, squishy CPLT-C1 is dedicating 25 tons for 2 ALRM15s, TAG, BAP, and ammo, it seems pretty extreme!

This is the fault of the all the people who are using LRMs forcing everyone else to adjust. I used to never take an AMS but now I'm bringing it because it adds to my score more than anything. As the number of LRMs on the field declines then so too will the number of AMS. Eventually we'll get to a balance point where people don't feel the need to bring an AMS because the LRM threat has been reduced.

So yeah, stop bringing LRMs, put some other weapons on your mech besides LRMs, and basically adjust your playstyle until things settle down. It's what everyone else is having to do because of the LRMs.

#89 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

View PostRuar, on 05 June 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

This is the fault of the all the people who are using LRMs forcing everyone else to adjust. I used to never take an AMS but now I'm bringing it because it adds to my score more than anything. As the number of LRMs on the field declines then so too will the number of AMS. Eventually we'll get to a balance point where people don't feel the need to bring an AMS because the LRM threat has been reduced.

So yeah, stop bringing LRMs, put some other weapons on your mech besides LRMs, and basically adjust your playstyle until things settle down. It's what everyone else is having to do because of the LRMs.

I don't even like LRMs. I just felt like hopping in my Catapults for a while to see how they fared after the skill tree.

It's just really dumb that 3 tons of equipment on 1 light can completely invalidate a 65 tonner

#90 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,994 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

a few hours ago I had Radar Dep 1 and AMS and I was still getting pulverized by LRMs

no big not complaining just reporting

#91 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:22 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 05 June 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

I don't even like LRMs. I just felt like hopping in my Catapults for a while to see how they fared after the skill tree.

It's just really dumb that 3 tons of equipment on 1 light can completely invalidate a 65 tonner

It only invalidates that 65 tonner if you have a bad build. Where's the four medium lasers on that mech as backup? Why aren't you near the front lines fighting at 300m firing when the kitfox isn't in AMS range? He has a 200m or so umbrella so you can adjust to where he isn't.

The problem isn't the kitfox with three AMS, the problem is people relying solely on LRMs with no backup weapons and not wanting to work as hard as everyone else has to to get kills.

#92 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

View PostRuar, on 05 June 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

It only invalidates that 65 tonner if you have a bad build. Where's the four medium lasers on that mech as backup? Why aren't you near the front lines fighting at 300m firing when the kitfox isn't in AMS range? He has a 200m or so umbrella so you can adjust to where he isn't.

The problem isn't the kitfox with three AMS, the problem is people relying solely on LRMs with no backup weapons and not wanting to work as hard as everyone else has to to get kills.

That's exactly what I've been doing, but with 3 MLs since one of the energy hardpoints holds a TAG. I don't sit in the back asking for locks like some scrub. Artemis and TAG do nothing without LOS, after all. It is no great exaggeration to say that Kit Fox invalidates my Catapult, because 4 medium lasers may as well be nothing on a 65 tonner.

#93 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 05 June 2017 - 09:44 PM, said:

That's exactly what I've been doing, but with 3 MLs since one of the energy hardpoints holds a TAG. I don't sit in the back asking for locks like some scrub. Artemis and TAG do nothing without LOS, after all. It is no great exaggeration to say that Kit Fox invalidates my Catapult, because 4 medium lasers may as well be nothing on a 65 tonner.

My catapult runs SRM6's and pulse lasers. Perhaps you should adapt.

#94 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:59 PM

View PostRuar, on 05 June 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

My catapult runs SRM6's and pulse lasers. Perhaps you should adapt.

Sorry, but to me a CPLT-C1 is simply not a CPLT-C1 without LRMs. It's like running a Spirit Bear with LRMs, or a HBK-4G with no AC20.

I adapted by switching to a different mech.

Edited by Kaeb Odellas, 05 June 2017 - 09:59 PM.

#95 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:33 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 20 May 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

Radar deprivation and AMS still work. No change there. Please remember to cite this fact in your "LRMs have taken over the game" threads.

I mean the first sentence you say should include the terms radar deprivation and AMS, and how everyone has access to them. Also mention the AMS overload skill that greatly improves the performance of AMS.

You could start your post with something like this: "I know that everybody can mount radar deprivation, AMS, and AMS overload, and I know that a team of AMS carriers will shut down all of the long-range missile boats, but..."

you forget those nodes are locked behind alot of **** you dont want on brawlers, like sensor range and or target decay.
Its cool that the AMS nodes are way up top and therefore fairly cheap, but for mechs that are heavily invested in the suvival, firepower and have all speedtweaks unlocked, it is neigh impossible to get radar dep on.For instance, any of my brawler mechs like my king crab or my MAD-3R cant access radar dep at 100% like they used too before the skill tree.

#96 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:45 AM

They sure do!

I got stuck in some weird lurm boat vs lurm boat vortex for a series of solo games the other day, seemed like 6 or so boats on each team, prolly more 3 or 4 per side, still... o.O! And I kept dropping with the SQ teams that wouldn't move forward)... enter the triple ams cutefox with ams nodes unlocked. Alas it didn't help the with hiding... but the skies sure cleared.

#97 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 05 June 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

Sorry, but to me a CPLT-C1 is simply not a CPLT-C1 without LRMs. It's like running a Spirit Bear with LRMs, or a HBK-4G with no AC20.

I adapted by switching to a different mech.

Drop LRM size to 10, install large lasers, profit.

#98 TheMisled

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLocked in a brawl with another mech on some distant planet.

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

Interesting observation here but it seems as though an AMS is more effective against CLRMs than IS LRMs. I don't have any actual proof of this but it seems to be the case at least for me.

#99 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

View PostTheMisled, on 06 June 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

Interesting observation here but it seems as though an AMS is more effective against CLRMs than IS LRMs. I don't have any actual proof of this but it seems to be the case at least for me.

It is, because Clan LRMs arrive in streams that feed missiles in a few at a time rather than as a big bundle that can overwhelm the defense.

#100 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 06 June 2017 - 10:44 AM, said:

It is, because Clan LRMs arrive in streams that feed missiles in a few at a time rather than as a big bundle that can overwhelm the defense.

The duration of the stream is the amount of extra time the missiles stay within AMS range, so AMS can get more shots out.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users