Skill Tree Jump Jet Skills...

6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Knell

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

Can someone explain to me how putting points in the Jump Jets part of the skill tree affect the jump jet performance in practice? I'm mostly interested in Griffin and Marauder MAD-5M mechs.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

I did some testing on Crimson Strait testing grounds with a GRF-1S and a MAD-5M, both with max jumber of jets, with 0 JJ skills then with full JJ skills

in both cases upgrading to full jump jet skills gave about a 25% altitude increase and a 100% fowards thrust increase
the Griffin with 7 Jets and no skills easily clears the top of the platform or the average tall buildings, the realy tall building (essentialy 2 of the tall buildings stacked 1 atop the other with another 4 surounding the central tower) was not cleared by the unskilled griffin, got about half way up the top tower, on adding the skills I was able to land on top of the central tower.

with the MAD head got to maybe 2/3 of the way up the average tall buildings without skills, with skills head clears the top, but legs do not.

in both cases you are pushed fowards about twice as far with max skills.

I am not sure how to measure heat generation, because even without skills you are generating less heat than you can sink with 10 DHS, and I am not prepaired to waste 3 million cbills to test this with single heat sinks for you.

tested on Crimson Strait, testing grounds

grf-1s with 7 JJS, plenty to jump to top of platform, not enough for tallest building in C5, only get about 75% of way up
unlocked full JJ tree then retested, landed on top of building, jump about 25% higher and about twice as far fowards.

mad 5m with 4 JJs, unskilled, crimson, head ends up about 75% of way up tall narrow buildings found all over the map, about half the height Griffin achives
skilled and retested, still does not land on top of buildings but head clears top, noticable altitude and fowards thrust improvement

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 24 May 2017 - 01:29 AM.

#3 Michael Knell

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the info, Rogue Jedi. I figured as much that skills in jump jet tree would increase altitude, but I don't play as a pop tart nor a sniper so increased altitude is not something I'm looking for per se, I'm more interested in how adding skills to jj tree affects the maneuverability of jjs and if I can use them for dodging or catching up with running enemies.

#4 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:42 AM

The way I see it, being able to increase the capacity of the jump jets would mean that you can take fewer of them (on non-omnimechs anyway) for the same or similar performance, which frees up tonnage for other things. I haven't seen if this is actually the case, though

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostMichael Knell, on 24 May 2017 - 04:34 AM, said:

Thanks for the info, Rogue Jedi. I figured as much that skills in jump jet tree would increase altitude, but I don't play as a pop tart nor a sniper so increased altitude is not something I'm looking for per se, I'm more interested in how adding skills to jj tree affects the maneuverability of jjs and if I can use them for dodging or catching up with running enemies.

there is nothing mentioned in there about enhancing agility, and it is not something I can quantify, so testing would be all down to how it feels, and placibo effect could easily cause inaccurate conclusions.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I do not think JJs should enhance agility at all, and certainly should not be able to do so with less than 4 jets, the thrust vectoring required for a mid air turn would require 4 thrusters minimum, with 2 facing fowards to turn the Mech while keeping it upright, if JJs did mobility other than up/foward with the position of the thrustors it should be the Mech keeps facing the same direction but can move (not turn) left/right while the jets are active by vectoring the 2 rear mounted jets exhaust nozzles right/left

#6 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 909 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

Executioner values: https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5759340

#7 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 24 May 2017 - 05:42 AM, said:

The way I see it, being able to increase the capacity of the jump jets would mean that you can take fewer of them (on non-omnimechs anyway) for the same or similar performance, which frees up tonnage for other things. I haven't seen if this is actually the case, though

You're better off adding a JJ rather than unlocking 4-6 nodes to get the same effect.

JJ tree is only good for mechs that have hardlocked JJs IMO. So mainly Clan. IS has no real poptart except a BJ3 so no need to really worry about it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users