Name Change

10 replies to this topic

#1 robin1963

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Is there anyway i can change my name as it appears to everyone while im playing the game ?

#2 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

Log to profile on MWO web page, Name on top row. One free change, be careful.

#3 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

You get one free account name change, but there's no cosmetic alternate name if that's what you had in mind.

#4 robin1963

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

ok thanks thought it was just a simple job lol never mind

#5 Rick T Dangerous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 354 posts
  • LocationExactly above Earth's center

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

Be ye warned! Changing your name will not only set your graphic settings back to default, that action will also nullify all your weapon group settings on all your mechs. I don't remember if it also reset my keyboard settings to factory. But: ALL YOUR MECHS with all the same "one big alphastrike only" weapon group! Posted Image

#6 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

All your settings are saved in a folder with your pilots name. When you change your name, it creates a new folder with the new pilot name and sets all settings to default, similar to what a new player sees. You should be able to copy your weapon groups and game settings from your old pilot folder to your new folder, just figure out which files need to be copied.

Be sure to backup the file you are overwriting before you copy just in case the file you copied across causes an issue. You can easily revert back to the original state that way.

#7 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostRick T Dangerous, on 27 July 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Be ye warned! Changing your name will not only set your graphic settings back to default, that action will also nullify all your weapon group settings on all your mechs. I don't remember if it also reset my keyboard settings to factory. But: ALL YOUR MECHS with all the same "one big alphastrike only" weapon group! Posted Image

This can be resumed with a little bit manual editing of directory names, files names and possible text files.

#8 LT. HARDCASE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

View Postrobin1963, on 27 July 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

ok thanks thought it was just a simple job lol never mind

Click 'Profile' -> Click 'Name' -> Change Name is not a simple job?

This might be the wrong game for you.

#9 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

Yeah been thinking about changing my name myself. Chose Victor Drake back when the site first went active due to roleplay reasons back when I kind of thought they were making an actually MMO with some actual roleplay elements to the game. Thinking of changing it to something that is a little less battletech geek/fanboy and a bit more of a code name/handle like alot of people run.

On the other hand, been Victor Drake for so long I sort of feel like I would cheating by changing my name.

#10 robin1963

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

I think I wil lleave it as it is lol

#11 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:26 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 27 July 2017 - 03:59 PM, said:

Yeah been thinking about changing my name myself. Chose Victor Drake back when the site first went active due to roleplay reasons back when I kind of thought they were making an actually MMO with some actual roleplay elements to the game. Thinking of changing it to something that is a little less battletech geek/fanboy and a bit more of a code name/handle like alot of people run.

On the other hand, been Victor Drake for so long I sort of feel like I would cheating by changing my name.

I've been thinking about changing my name to a proper Clan name that I made for a long time now, but no-one would ever recognize me as "that anime gif guy" ingame anymore. Entire reason I haven't taken the plunge.

Now, if PGI would be kind enough to give me my own, personal title... Then I might do it. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users