Wtf Is Indigo?! (Nato Phonetic Alphabet)

Gameplay

178 replies to this topic

#161 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:18 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 08 April 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

The argument is not the validity of the alternatives the conversation is why people are not exposed to the standard and norms that is the NATO alphabet.

The failure is interesting from a sociological context. Should we not go there? I like to understand what makes people tick.

I know what rankled me personally about the OP was its pretensious air of esoteric wisdom over something as petty as a clearly-understood phonetic letter, as if taking the time to learn the NATO phonetic alphabet and use "India" instead of "Indigo" would make anyone one iota better at the game.

Sharing ideas on ammo placement to avoid catastrophic explosions is useful. Sharing strategies for slow-movers in a NASCAR environment is useful. Even if the OP had included this as part of a larger post on clear communication (always including coordinates with any communicated information, etc.) it might have some redeeming usefulness. Even LRM-rant-posts are more useful, because at least they lead to discussions regarding LRM balance, and advice for newer players on how to counter incoming LRMs.

In short, the OP is, beneath its pretentiousness, an utter shitpost, and most responses you see here are, I believe, reciprocity in kind.

I'm interested in what you mean by "failure." I'm also interested in your definition of "standard and norms," since most people in the world do not live in NATO nations, most people who do live in NATO nations do not serve in the armed forces, and --here's a little inside knowledge for you-- most soldiers serving in NATO nations got a xerox with this **** on it in boot camp and were told "not to waste too much time memorizing this; just remember to speak clearly and make yourself understood" before moving on to more important things (like how to shine their boots or arrange their footlocker).

With all this in mind, I'm finally interested in why you think the community's response is such a curiosity? Did you expect them to say, "Thanks for the tip! I was going to play MW:O today, but instead I think I'll spend time memorizing the NATO phonetic alphabet! I told my kids they couldn't go outside and play until they finished helping me make flashcards!"

EDIT: I don't know why it was necro'ed, however, except to allow still more members of the community to gleefully tee off on the absolute absurdity of the OP's useless assertions.

Edited by Mister Glitchdragon, 10 April 2018 - 11:32 AM.

#162 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 04:51 PM.

#163 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:56 AM

View PostThroe, on 10 April 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

Also, they're the same number of syllables, so this is a marginal difference at best. I would be more easily persuaded if "India" was less syllables, as I favor more concise communication, so long as it's still functional.

The english language never ceases to amaze me with stuff like a single trailing vowel being treated as a syllable

#164 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:12 PM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 04:51 PM.

#165 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 800 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostThroe, on 10 April 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

A single trailing vowel? Have you spoken the word India lately?

~sigh~ I guess you didn't quite understand what you quoted from me. Let's just say that my native tongue wouldn't typically wouldn't treat that single "a" as an actual syllable regardless of pronounciation because of hyphenation for writing not allowing that single vowel to stand alone in that manner.

=> So I'm still amazed that the english language get's that part "right".

Edited by Der Geisterbaer, 10 April 2018 - 12:27 PM.

#166 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 04:48 PM.

#167 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 21 December 2019 - 12:26 PM

In case anyone forgot:

India Foxtrot Yankee Oscar Uniform Charlie Alpha November Romeo Echo Alpha Delta Tango Hotel India Sierra India Mike November Echo Victor Echo Romeo Golf Oscar November November Alpha Golf India Victor Echo Yankee Oscar Uniform Uniform Papa November Echo Victor Echo Romeo Golf Oscar November November Alpha Lima Echo Tango Yankee Oscar Uniform Delta Oscar Whiskey November November Echo Victor Echo Romeo Golf Oscar November November Alpha Romeo Uniform November Alpha Romeo Oscar Uniform November Delta Alpha November Delta Delta Echo Sierra Echo Romeo Tango Yankee Oscar Uniform.

Posted Image

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 21 December 2019 - 12:27 PM.

#168 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:10 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 21 December 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

In case anyone forgot:

India Foxtrot Yankee Oscar Uniform Charlie Alpha November Romeo Echo Alpha Delta Tango Hotel India Sierra India Mike November Echo Victor Echo Romeo Golf Oscar November November Alpha Golf India Victor Echo Yankee Oscar Uniform Uniform Papa November Echo Victor Echo Romeo Golf Oscar November November Alpha Lima Echo Tango Yankee Oscar Uniform Delta Oscar Whiskey November November Echo Victor Echo Romeo Golf Oscar November November Alpha Romeo Uniform November Alpha Romeo Oscar Uniform November Delta Alpha November Delta Delta Echo Sierra Echo Romeo Tango Yankee Oscar Uniform.

Posted Image

You monster.

#169 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:04 AM

View PostHorseman, on 21 December 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

You monster.

Let's appreciate the fact that he necroed a 1½ year old thread to post that. Sublime stuff.

I hope he gets a Shadow Hawk 2D for Christmas.

#170 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 22 December 2019 - 07:50 AM

Heard a guy screaming "Iris" last night.
Thought he was calling his wife.
Bishop good seeing ya.

#171 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 01:50 PM

lol i did a thread like this a few years back.. and the guys cried the same thing

WE are not military we dont know

so when ever some calls targets heater, or indigo... I tell them negative i have no indigo OH and

Echo Papa Serra Tango India Echo November Delta India Delta November October Tango Kilo India Lima Lima Hotel India Montana Serra Echo Lima Foxtrot

#172 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:07 PM

Rise, RISE!
Walk free on the forums again!

I tend to resort to food when I forget.

"Banana, Apple 5."

#173 Mister Maf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

Dr. Frankenstein himself would be impressed by your work.

The truth of the matter is that the British police use a phonetic alphabet that's exactly the same as the NATO alphabet except that it uses Indigo for the letter I instead of India. So y'all can cool your jets.

#174 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:44 PM

i call bs on that.. I is India.. world wide ATC,

Ive got stick time man,

Edited by Burning2nd, 23 December 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#175 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:21 PM

So when I scream Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo Uniform into my mic when I die I am doing it correctly, thanks.

#176 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:45 PM

H orsradish
O cre
L emur
Y ogurt

N ecro
E ndoscope
C arrot
O atmeal

T obasco
H ornet
R ubarb
E gg
A nal
D onkey

Batman !

Edited by C E Dwyer, 25 December 2019 - 03:45 PM.

#177 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 26 December 2019 - 11:25 PM

Adam Boy Charles David Edward Frank George Henry Ida John King Larry Mary Nora Ocean Paul Queen Robert Sam Tom Union Victor William X-Ray Young Zebra

LEO's use the above. Use what you will. This is a game. ENJOY! :)

#178 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 04:09 PM

View PostMilkshakes, on 28 May 2017 - 01:52 PM, said:

Dearest Mechwarriors,

There is just something that irks me greatly about players who do not know the proper phonetics for calling targets. Below are the proper pronunciations for all twenty six letters in the English alphabet:

Posted Image

In our universe we also have callsigns for certain targets indicated by Greek letters: Alpha and Beta are points on Domination; Epsilon, Gamma, Kappa, Sigma and Theta are points in Conquest. From what I've observed targets are called by their letter callsign and grid locations are the callsign plus grid number. Educate yourselves fellas because knowing is half the battle!

Your best pal Milkshakes <o<^-._.-^>

Indigo belongs to a version of the phonetic alphabet used in MW2 Mercs and MW3.

Comedically, IS-themed Mechwarrior games of the past use an the older phonetic alphabet, including the likes of "Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog, Echo, Fox, George, Harry," and "Indigo". Though technically it should have been "Item" but imagine what would happen if you say "Waypoint Item" in a video game...

"Waypoint Able"
"Waypoint Baker"
"Waypoint Dog."
(Actually "Op-point")
MW3 computer voices

Clanner waypoints used the greek alphabet, including Mu and Nu. MW4 computer voices (Same video just time skipped again).

Edited by Koniving, 27 December 2019 - 04:13 PM.

#179 Discount Dan

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 29 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

The idea behind the phonetic alphabet is to minimize errors in communication. B can sound like a D f.example.
So you put a word in front of it, like Bravo because it is distinct enough to not be confused with anything else.
So when someone says Indigo the meaning is "I", just as when someone says India. Both are distinct enough to not be confused with other words. Now had the spelling of Indigo been Endigo it could be confused with Wendigo when under fire or shooting yourself and then your complaint would be valid.
Their is really no problem in Indigo/India

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users