17 replies to this topic

#1 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

This might be in the wrong area of the forums, but I'm afraid this thread won't get any attention if I didn't post this here (mods feel free to move this discussion if so).

So what is this exactly? I was stumbling for any mech related mods for Gmod and found this little gem. DakTek is an open mod where you can build mechs from the ground up with Battletech weaponry and equipment.

It features over 100+ weapons and equipment from the Battletech universe. Features like laser AMS's, BAPs, MASC, and many other things that you can install on your custom made mech. The mod also features mech crouching, a fully working HUD display with damage indicators, weapon heat generation (with heatsinks), ferro-fibulous armor and switchable ammo types (Yes, you heard me right. Switchable ammo finally).

To install the mod you must have Gmod and the workshop installed Wiremod. If you already own Gmod, then make sure you have any SLVbase npcs DISABLED or else torso twisting will not work and you will get .lua errors. The mod author has released an IS urbanmech for public testing which you can find the instructions on how to download here:

In the videos you will find the Awesome, Shadowcat, Hellbringer, Thunderhammer, Summoner, Centurion and 10t Battlearmor (Which I guess aren't for public release). He has a WIP tutorial series with how to make your own mech from the very ground up. I plan on making the Rifleman IIC and various other mechs from MW2 if I understand the very basic fundamentals of the mod first. It seems rather complex but I had a ton of fun just blowing stuff up with the Urbanmech. Check it out for yourself.

And yes, you can make quad mechs.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 30 May 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

Wow, nice, I didn't think anyone here would have noticed my mod.

#3 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

'sees a quad mech'

Juodas Incoming.

#4 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 30 May 2017 - 12:34 PM, said:

Wow, nice, I didn't think anyone here would have noticed my mod.

I saw it on steam and had to try it out. I absolutely love everything about it so far. If you can help make my pet Rifleman IIC mech I would absolutely love you man, lol. From what I read out there, it looks like you sometimes host your own dedicated server. Would it be possible as someone who is interested in making mechs to provide some guidance if you host your multiplayer server again? I'm going to look at your tutorial series but I'm not sure how much free time I can dedicate into this.

#5 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 30 May 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

I saw it on steam and had to try it out. I absolutely love everything about it so far. If you can help make my pet Rifleman IIC mech I would absolutely love you man, lol. From what I read out there, it looks like you sometimes host your own dedicated server. Would it be possible as someone who is interested in making mechs to provide some guidance if you host your multiplayer server again? I'm going to look at your tutorial series but I'm not sure how much free time I can dedicate into this.

I keep my dedicated server up just about all the time except for maintenance. Also I have multiple tutorial series, one goes over each thing in high detail but the other goes over stuff quickly. The one that goes over stuff quickly is mostly for people who have a solid understanding of building in gmod already though while the other goes over the basics.

I've been making sure to help anyone who needs it if I can, so I'd be willing to help debug any problems you have, though I leave the designing of looks up to the player.

#6 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

Quadruped spotted.

Posted Image

#7 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

*waits for reactions when people find that its difficult yet possible to create a LAM for the first time in any computer related thing to battletech* Posted Image

#8 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

*swapping ammo types*
:|

#9 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostAlex Morgaine, on 30 May 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

*swapping ammo types*

Posted Image

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

View PostAlex Morgaine, on 30 May 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

*swapping ammo types*

At this point I'm beginning to believe PGI just doesn't want to add ammo swapping.

#11 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 30 May 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

*waits for reactions when people find that its difficult yet possible to create a LAM for the first time in any computer related thing to battletech* Posted Image

You have Land-Air Mechs? Posted Image

#12 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 30 May 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

You have Land-Air Mechs? Posted Image

I've created the ability to do so and tested prototype frames with it, however I've seen no finished builds using the concept yet.

#13 LordLeto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 30 May 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

'sees a quad mech'

Juodas Incoming.

View PostTarogato, on 30 May 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Quadruped spotted.

Posted Image

I think you have to say it three times for him to Appear.

QUAD MECH!

#14 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 30 May 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

I've created the ability to do so and tested prototype frames with it, however I've seen no finished builds using the concept yet.

Ahh well I'll look into it, but I'm not a modeler.

#15 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 30 May 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

Ahh well I'll look into it, but I'm not a modeler.

You don't have to be a modeler to use this mod. I'm not an artist and know very little of how Gmod works, but I'm still going to give it a shot and try to learn it. He provided all of the resources that you can use in his group description.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 30 May 2017 - 07:33 PM.

#16 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

Finally got around to making my favorite pet mech. It's a heavily modified Hellbringer based off the RFL-IIC prime model. 4cLPL's, 1 cERSML, a BAP and jump jets! Thanks Dakota for the working Hellbringer model (And your other mechs) and Amasa (from Gmod) for helping me getting the mech up and running.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:46 AM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 30 May 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

This might be in the wrong area of the forums, but I'm afraid this thread won't get any attention if I didn't post this here (mods feel free to move this discussion if so).

So what is this exactly? I was stumbling for any mech related mods for Gmod and found this little gem. DakTek is an open mod where you can build mechs from the ground up with Battletech weaponry and equipment.

It features over 100+ weapons and equipment from the Battletech universe. Features like laser AMS's, BAPs, MASC, and many other things that you can install on your custom made mech. The mod also features mech crouching, a fully working HUD display with damage indicators, weapon heat generation (with heatsinks), ferro-fibulous armor and switchable ammo types (Yes, you heard me right. Switchable ammo finally).

To install the mod you must have Gmod and the workshop installed Wiremod. If you already own Gmod, then make sure you have any SLVbase npcs DISABLED or else torso twisting will not work and you will get .lua errors. The mod author has released an IS urbanmech for public testing which you can find the instructions on how to download here:

In the videos you will find the Awesome, Shadowcat, Hellbringer, Thunderhammer, Summoner, Centurion and 10t Battlearmor (Which I guess aren't for public release). He has a WIP tutorial series with how to make your own mech from the very ground up. I plan on making the Rifleman IIC and various other mechs from MW2 if I understand the very basic fundamentals of the mod first. It seems rather complex but I had a ton of fun just blowing stuff up with the Urbanmech. Check it out for yourself.

And yes, you can make quad mechs.

So.. lemme get this str8.. this here is a mod.. that looks entirely inferior to a great game like MWO.. yet has everything that MWO has been struggling with for years, unable to implement.. which makes is vastly superior to MWO?

Hahahahhahahaah..

Give this kid a medal!

#18 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 02 June 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

So.. lemme get this str8.. this here is a mod.. that looks entirely inferior to a great game like MWO.. yet has everything that MWO has been struggling with for years, unable to implement.. which makes is vastly superior to MWO?

Hahahahhahahaah..

Give this kid a medal!

Don't judge a book by it's cover. I'm actually having alot of fun with this mod, and some of the mech designs that some people made so far look great with the limitations of what Gmod's sandbox can and can't do. But I get your drift with the sarcasm.

Surprisingly so far the mech combat has been very solid. Armor values take in fact how much punishment a mech can endure before it's internals are exposed, mechs aren't drastically limited when they lose an arm or a weapon, and believe it or not the mech movement has been very smooth during combat. I had a 1v1v1 FFA match and a few duels and it really feels like I'm playing a licensed Mechwarrior title.

But heck, the map variety is limitless and I've even seen a few people make non-canon mechs that would easily fit a Mechwarrior game. I really can't wait to see what other people will release with their dupes, Battletech wise and non-canon user made wise. Did I mention that you can also make working tanks and aircraft with this?

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users