Oni's Skill Tree Guide (With Tier System)

skills metagame gameplay

1 reply to this topic

#1 Onimusha shin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:03 PM

I did a general skill tree guide for players across spectrums here and thought I'd summarize it for new players too.

Here, I'll be describing what skills you MUST have, what skills suit what builds and what skills you MUST IGNORE.

Tier 1 - Must-have skills.
Tier 2 - Situational skills.
Sub-Tier 2 - Gateway skills that let you reach more useful skills.
Tier 3 - Avoid unless you have spare SPs
Tier 4 - Avoid completely unless you have bought all relevant higher tier skills.

General Skill Tree advice
  • Does the 'Mech variant have structure/armor quirks? If yes and in sufficient (how much is sufficient?) amounts, spec into the relevant armor/structure skill nodes. Brawlers in general do want to increase their survivability. Go full like this if you want more HP to deal more damage.
  • Most fighter builds can use this Firepower tree layout as a start.
  • Do your Ops tree like this if you have a hot build (anything 1.5 heat management or less in MWO's MechLab UI).
  • Invest 1 SP in Miscellaneous for the first Consumable Slot +1. More if you have hot build for better Coolshots or into strikes if you're a super cool build.
  • Invest in Sensors if you see the 'Mech variant as more of a scout spotter. More details on Sensors skills covered in Tier 2 & 3.
  • Balance SPs to Firepower tree, with explanations of which nodes help which weapon/build types in Tier 1 details below. But give priority to Heat Gen skills too.
  • Avoid JJ and Mobility trees (FIREPOWER & SURVIVAL FTW BABY!)
  • Meta explained here if you don't mind your hands being held.
Tier 1 Skills (MUST HAVES or can't avoid)

Spoiler

Tier 2 Skills (situational)
Spoiler

Sub-Tier 2 Skills (don't take these if you can invest in the skills above)
Spoiler

T3 Skills (if you have extra SP)
Spoiler

[u]T4 Skills (practically useless)[/u]
Spoiler

[u]My Half-Assed Attempt at a Skill Tree guide previously, for reference (take note, I don't quite stand by it anymore but if you like balanced distributions, go for it)[/u]
Spoiler

P.S. If you like this guide, please drop my posts a "like" here and here. I'd appreciate it.
Feel free to ask questions here about builds or how to play trial 'Mechs too.

Edited by Onimusha shin, 23 June 2017 - 04:05 AM.

#2 Onimusha shin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:04 AM

Adding on a template of the Skill Maze for most players using fighter builds that stick with the team deathball, which maximises your survivability and DPS output.
  • Boost your Survival tree by 26-33 SPs. The math here shows your post-(10+10 armor & structure skills) HP is equivalent to a 5ton heavier mech. If you have quirks of the same nature, they make you a virtual tank. More HP = more DPS if you do things right. Pic below courtesy of Tarogato.Posted Image
  • Balance your heat skills like so and so. They give you best bang for your SPs spent even if you waste 1 SP on a Velocity node for a laser build. Spreadsheet here for sciencing.
  • Get your module slot and extra Coolshot like this.
  • You'll have 10 or more SPs left depending on whether you skimped on Survival tree. Use them on Firepower first then Mobility.
  • Mobility skills aren't necessary if you have learned how to position yourself appropriately. Spec some into accel/decel skills if you're not confident. Spreadsheet here for comparison across your class, courtesy of /u/20ae071195 Reddit thread here.
  • Ignore Sensors, it's a waste of SPs if you stick to the team most of the time. 12SPs for Seismic Sensor is too much, similarly so for Enhanced ECM (13 SPs).
  • Ignore JJ tree. It's just for flavouring.
  • CAVEAT #1: You can spec into Mobility/Sensors if you aren't a fighter build (ECM RVN-3L w 2 erLL, LCT-1V/3V, SDR-5V w 1LPL/LL). Basically, anything that isn't going to stick to the team's deathball, won't need as much Survival tree buffs, but do buff relevant skills if you have the armor/structure quirks.
  • CAVEAT #2: Cool builds like Gauss-only Jager or 2UAC5 ENF can use no Heat skills or less Cool Run skills respectively. Use some common sense to path the trees according to your build. ;-)
  • General overview below
Posted Image

Edited by Onimusha shin, 23 June 2017 - 04:10 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users