#1 Hoaggie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

So, I was looking at the Battle of Turkayyid 3 Stats Final post
https://mwomercs.com...tats-final-post

Apparently only 17,257 players took part in the event, I've come and gone over the years since closed beta ended, and I gotta say, I didnt realize player participation was so low.

This is actually a little depressing.

Somebody cheer me up

#2 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

A large part of the player base isn't going to play FW no matter what, so the total player numbers should be much higher. Though even then, even if assuming FW players represent a fraction, the total number of players isn't high nor encouraging when compared to other massive multiplayer games.

#3 Hoaggie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

Either way you look at it, it's a huge drop from the 500,000 pre-orders they got

#4 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

War Robots has nearly 50 million downloads to put things in perspective.

#5 Hoaggie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

I didnt even realize that was a thing. PGI had such a huge start, but its failed to retain its veteran players or even attract many new ones.

#6 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:55 PM

View PostHoaggie, on 02 June 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

I didnt even realize that was a thing. PGI had such a huge start, but its failed to retain its veteran players or even attract many new ones.

Poor marketing, poor creative direction, poor management, poor vision for the game, poor execution, all classic reasons why some games succeed, why some fail, and why some are scraping at the bottom of the barrel.

By the way, when I meant War Robots, that's another mech game, also big stompy robot shooter, on mobile, not on PC, and this game is succeeding tremendously. It shows the potential for mech games in general, if well executed. It had a slow start, but began steamrolling charts around the mid 2016, going from 10 million downloads in April, to 20 million in September then 45 million in January 2017. Of course not every one sticks to the game, but we can assume many are playing it. And this kind of success was accomplished with zero IP brand recognition and almost no lore behind it.

If WR can maintain 20 to 50 ranking in Google Play Gross Revenue Top Charts, for the equivalent with MWO, it needs to be in the top 50 of Steam. If I check the Steam charts, strangely enough, but not surprisingly, I can see Robocraft in the top 50, which also again shows that big robots are not necessarily small player base niche games.

Edited by Anjian, 02 June 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#7 Hoaggie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:02 AM

Yeah, at some point PGI made the choice to aim the game at constantly recruiting new players and alienate their backers, then failed to make the game remotely attractive for new players

#8 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:45 AM

While steam is not all players... it is an indicator:
http://steamcharts.com/app/342200#1m

#9 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:38 AM

dun have steam. :> just sayin.

#10 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

Don't worry, that's only a web service which you can use anyway. :)

#11 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 03 June 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

Don't worry, that's only a web service which you can use anyway. Posted Image

i wouldnt actually give a damn about steamcharts for MWO.
we all knew battletech is a niche thing and nothing for quick arcade shooters everyone seem to jump after.
it had its players before steam and most older players keep themselves informed through forum i guess.

because they all come back to see what MWO has become and try it again.

#12 FEAR THIS

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

I have discovered a way to play MW4 Mercs on a VPN (lan party) with all of mekteks added maps and mechs took bout 1/2 hr to D/L and set it up and including watching video on how to do it. and I had NO mw4 loaded to start... its all in a zip file everything you need except the VPN (hamachi) which is a piece of cake.. been playing every night now for about a week ssssooooooo much fun soooo old school. Only drawback, is the VPN is designed for only 5 players at a time, My friend (TIMBERWOLF) and me (FEAR THIS) both old MWL players are having an old fashioned ball. just contacted Smokin Joe from our MWL days and he's going to D/l this weekend and play with us too... just sayin there are ways to play MW4 Mercs just like it was set up its its hay day, albeit not as may players on a team, but you can add bots too, just like in the old days...
regards... FEAR THIS

Edited by FEAR THIS, 14 June 2017 - 12:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users