• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:08 AM

Huge battles

As a gamer from long ago Planetside 1 The original and the best

had huge battles for bases and resources

why cant we recreate this, with hundred of mechs per land mass fighting over various things

perpetual and epic, a command channel and rankings determining what you can hear

with xp now to level and command exp gained from taking lance and group command which levels your command level

be part of the movement of your houses land grab

#2 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:23 AM

Backwater servers are barely keeping up with 12v12 games, top tier modern PCs are barely able to squeeze 40FPS out of MWO at times and yet you are asking for games with hundreds of mechs instead? ... Yeah, because this is gonna end well ...

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:26 AM

All players had massive performance loss when MWO switched from 8v8 to 12v12. PGI fixed some part of it, but MWO still eats resources like few other 2012 games. Increasing the player count per match even more would be unthinkable on current engine.

#4 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:22 AM

No to larger player count as long as this game is on cryengine.

Yes to larger maps, just don't microdetail them and it should balance right out.

#5 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 June 2017 - 04:26 AM, said:

All players had massive performance loss when MWO switched from 8v8 to 12v12. PGI fixed some part of it, but MWO still eats resources like few other 2012 games. Increasing the player count per match even more would be unthinkable on current engine.

well PGI is using flash player for our huds if you turn off the flash player the FPS goes way up and free up resources

#6 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:40 AM

not with this detailed Mechmodels...an the serverbased calculation ...each Mechpart,Effects ,each projectil ,Shot ..all ist calculated from Server, not like other Games (CoD,BF) from the Client=more Secure for Cheats =low performance

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 02 June 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#7 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

View PostBinkus, on 02 June 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

Huge battles

had huge battles for bases and resources

why cant we recreate this, with hundred of mechs per land mass fighting over various things

perpetual and epic, a command channel and rankings determining what you can hear

with xp now to level and command exp gained from taking lance and group command which levels your command level

be part of the movement of your houses land grab

Nice to see I'm not the only Dreamer. I salute you Sir...

<o

https://mwomercs.com...r-devevelopers/

https://mwomercs.com...nted-equipment/

https://mwomercs.com...ey-for-servers/

PGI, Do you need more funds for Server Upgrades? TELL US!!! This is info that might sway me to buy some MC in support of you efforts.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#8 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

my computer couldn't handle it most likely

#9 s0da72

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

It would be nice, but I think MWO uses Cryengine's net code which probably doesn't support those kind of numbers even if PGI wanted too.

#10 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:49 AM

The mechs in game not Tanks or Infantry with 1-4 Hitzones ;) in really we fight by One vs One with 15 !!!!Hitbox Parts for each mech against 15 Hitbox parts ..thats up to 24 !!!!! and Misslesobjects, Shotobjects etc

#11 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:12 AM

I understand the need for realistic "big battles" and immersion in this game.. I really do.. I feel it myself.. but, alas, MWO's engine simply can't handle that..

That's why I'm hoping the "BIG ANNOUCEMENT" hinted at in the last road map will be a port to Unreal 4 engine, and procedural map generation.

If they could create HUGE procedural maps of some random barren desert, planet, moon, forest.. that would add so much to the realism and immersion, and that 12 Vs. 12 would be much more inviting.. and who knows..

Maybe the engine would allow for 24 vs. 24..

#12 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:40 AM

There is only one reason ... PGI cant handle it. The players wanted it, asked for it, PGI promised it and then never delivered.

#13 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 05 June 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

I understand the need for realistic "big battles" and immersion in this game.. I really do.. I feel it myself.. but, alas, MWO's engine simply can't handle that..

That's why I'm hoping the "BIG ANNOUCEMENT" hinted at in the last road map will be a port to Unreal 4 engine, and procedural map generation.

If they could create HUGE procedural maps of some random barren desert, planet, moon, forest.. that would add so much to the realism and immersion, and that 12 Vs. 12 would be much more inviting.. and who knows..

That would definitely breath some life into this game, 16 vs 16 on a huge map with split objectives, 8 go one way 8 go the other...

A couple of giant mining colony maps with resource points that have a finite amount of c-bills to be fought over, not just as 'win conditions.'

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 05 June 2017 - 09:54 AM.

#14 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

View PostZolaz, on 05 June 2017 - 05:40 AM, said:

There is only one reason ... PGI cant handle it. The players wanted it, asked for it, PGI promised it and then never delivered.

What were they quoted as saying?

"That was our intention at the time?"

These guys are something else.

I thought you said you would never cheat on me?

That was my intention at the time.

I thought you were going to save some dinner for me?

That was my intention at the time.

This is a get out of jail free card!

Edited by Mechwarrior1441491, 05 June 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#15 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

They would need to port it to a new engine. Focus on optimization to allow it to play smooth with so many units on the screen. They would need to optimize how the server to client communicates. And invest in high end server hardware.

#16 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

I would like quickplay with drop decks!

Something like conquest would change dramatically, you would have to defend flags vs. just capping everything at the end.

#17 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, just jumping into a mech/tank/aerospace fighter/battle armor/a flak vest and fighting for control of OUR HOME PLANET™ with hundreds of other players would be awesome.

View PostBinkus, on 02 June 2017 - 04:08 AM, said:

Can't say anything about PS1, but I played Planetside 2 for a while, which has lots of hitreg/netcode issues (e.g. shooting people around corners) - I would not want MW:O to suffer similar issues.

#18 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:38 AM

By lore...ypu rarely saw massive numbers of mech on mech violence. Even 12 on 12 is rather heavy in terms of mechs.

Now if they did something like large scale maps with objectives and AI units through out (and enough that no solo Light mechs can go Ramboing around either) Where it felt more like a battlefield that would be imo the best large scale game mode.

#19 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 05 June 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

no engine can handle this with Serverbased calculation,thats is the bottleneck with all effects and the many Mechhitzone parts, not only the Engine(seeing older Engines with more Players) ...ist a very good against the most Cheats , of the negative side is have bad Performance
Procedual terrain ?!...Tell my one good looking game (like MWO) with procedual Maps ?! thats good for games with no Installations ...seeing No mans Sky or Ark Survival ...many buggy Placements( Trees like a palisade wall...objects and Buildings fly in the Air ....) ,and some bad seeing places ...in the Moment can no Gameengine with procedual Maps can not handle very realistic Textureplacment or Logical place a Bridge over a River and place a Building sideway of the street not of it..in the Future and some Years come better Algorithms for Procedual terrain (first steps for urban Terrain today let seeing hopefully )..city is not only buildings , thats Streetlamps, tons, Scrap..all thats little objects for a realistic View.
Greatest Problem for Procedual terrain is further Texturing , 1-6 Textures and Layes handle is ok , a MWO Map has up to and over 10 mixed Textures and Layers bring up per Hand and some buildings have many single Elements and Parts...thats why Xcom 2 not use procedual terrain and only places single object procedual of the Handcrafted maps.

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 09 June 2017 - 03:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users