I Want To Trick My Rides With 'patented' Equipment!

33 replies to this topic

#21 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 June 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

"Patented" equipment (this is an utter travesty of lexicography btw) should not be about ANY performance issue. It should be exclusively about aesthetics. If I want a Sunglow large laser on the arm of my Thunderbolt that is as big as the lower torso of a Panther and am willing to pay MC for that then let me have it! But that Sunglow large laser ought to perform no better than any other ...sigh..."patented" large laser. Such equipment should be in effect an elaborate three dimensional, hit box affecting decal.

Soo I haven't looked it up yet..but I saw a banshee yesterday with what looked like a Howitzer cannon strapped to its arm....It seriously looked like the player was cheating and custom mounted a home made cannon to its arm...it was awesome!

edit: booo it was just a ppc in there...that sucks, was the BNC-3S

Edited by Humpday, 02 June 2017 - 04:20 PM.

#22 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

View PostKatastrophe Kid, on 02 June 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

lol, explain the lexicon travesty. I like to learn new stuff, what am I missing?

Patent nerd thing. None of this stuff would be patented. Even in the pretend BT universe. In reality even less so. There is nothing new, useful and non-obvious about any aspect of a given tech (large lasers) vs any other example of that same tech (other large lasers). For purposes of this game no tech is "patentable".

I could go on if you would like, but like I said: its a patent nerd thing.

#23 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

View PostHumpday, on 02 June 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

Soo I haven't looked it up yet..but I saw a banshee yesterday with what looked like a Howitzer cannon strapped to its arm....It seriously looked like the player was cheating and custom mounted a home made cannon to its arm...it was awesome!

I'd pay for that.

Everytime I build a Thunderbolt I think the same thing: I would pay MC for a giant Sunglow. Instead we get this lil square glued to the outside of the arm and that is supposed to be the mighty Sunglow large laser. No.

I want a large laseer that actually looks like it weighs several tons:
Posted Image

#24 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 June 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

Patent nerd thing. None of this stuff would be patented. Even in the pretend BT universe. In reality even less so. There is nothing new, useful and non-obvious about any aspect of a given tech (large lasers) vs any other example of that same tech (other large lasers). For purposes of this game no tech is "patentable".

I could go on if you would like, but like I said: its a patent nerd thing.

Understood.

Well, I hope people see that what I mean is Unique Equipment.

Unique Equipment with varying stats as well as Aesthetics would be a bonus.

#25 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

View PostKatastrophe Kid, on 02 June 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

Regardless (I bet you'd have flipped if I'd used irregardless, lol) the main point is leveling, this is kind of an RPG, sure a Stompy Robots Arena Battle RPG, but an RPG nonetheless. Aesthetics would be the icing on the Cake that is my Vision.

If this is an RPG, then so are Call of Duty, Battlefield and Overwatch...

#26 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 02 June 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

If this is an RPG, then so are Call of Duty, Battlefield and Overwatch...

Skill Tree bought with XP is an RPG element, a shallow one, but an RPG element nonetheless.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 04:53 PM.

#27 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

I'd be satisfied with just cosmetic changes to weapons (e.g. I can buy a ppc variant that fires purple bolts).

#28 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:00 PM

View Postfat4eyes, on 02 June 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

I'd be satisfied with just cosmetic changes to weapons (e.g. I can buy a ppc variant that fires purple bolts).

Quirk-like enhancements wouldn't be that hard to incorporate.

#29 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

wouldnt mind multiple manufacturers. but the differences between brands would have to represent only minor tweaks and flavor. buff this aspect and nerf this other aspect. range for cooldown or salvo size for velocity, missiles might come in different arc profile, a low high velocity arc vs a long range high arc. you might have different beam colors or tracer effects. never should a weapon variant be new and unchecked meta. anything more than 5% out of spec from baseline should be immideately nerfed. pay to play differently, like heros used to be.

#30 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostKatastrophe Kid, on 02 June 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

Quirk-like enhancements wouldn't be that hard to incorporate.

Are you kidding me? Hard? For this Dev?

They'd likely have three different brands of PPC that have .0000001 range difference, or cool down distinction, or even damage difference and then 1 that has a 60% velocity buff, and then wonder aloud here or on twitter why no one ever takes the PPC with the .0000001% range buff since their "data" shows that one to be the most superior given their internally created targeted performance values.

Yeah, PGI has no problem balancing by quirks. Dude, what game are you playing :)

#31 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 June 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

Are you kidding me? Hard? For this Dev?

They'd likely have three different brands of PPC that have .0000001 range difference, or cool down distinction, or even damage difference and then 1 that has a 60% velocity buff, and then wonder aloud here or on twitter why no one ever takes the PPC with the .0000001% range buff since their "data" shows that one to be the most superior given their internally created targeted performance values.

Yeah, PGI has no problem balancing by quirks. Dude, what game are you playing Posted Image

I never said they don't have problems with balancing, but I don't see it as a difficult problem in an of itself. Certainly not insurmountable.

Its the "You Can't Please Everyone Dilemma" that seems to be the biggest issue given the amount of salt thrown around on nearly ever point of contention.

And your predicting the worst possible scenario before its even happened which suggests to me that you simply don't have confidence in the Dev team, for whatever reason of which I'm sure you have many.
Lets not assume the worst right off the bat.

How do you see the concept itself, apart from the context of lost faith in the Devs?

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 05:29 PM.

#32 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

View PostKatastrophe Kid, on 02 June 2017 - 05:22 PM, said:

I never said they don't have problems, but I don't see it as a difficult problem in an of itself. Certainly not insurmountable.
Its the "You Can't Please Everyone Dilemma" that seems to be the biggest issue.

Meh. I just want a big laser for my Thunderbolts. If they want to give it bonuses in exchange for making the RA hit box ginormous I won't mind.

#33 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

I would prefer Equipment Upgrades over the current skill tree progression.

#34 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:32 AM

View Postfat4eyes, on 02 June 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

Now this I could get behind.
First, there was camo paint ... and it came in not-pink!
Then, there were dekkles... and the <3 them!
Now, we want... PINK LASERS!! Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users