27 replies to this topic

#21 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:00 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 07 June 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

Don't count on 11 Random PUGs to save your rear in a bad situation. They don't (and will usually never) understand the damned meaning of TeamWork. Bring some Small (or Medium) Lasers of some kind, and some Double Heat Sinks. Otherwise you can expect to get killed repeatedly, instead of being the one who's effective and doing the killing. <_< ~Mr. D. V. "NEVER bring LRMs without having Backup Weapons... I've seen that mistake before!" Devnull

Well tbh if someone calls out on comms so people can respond - particularly before they get brawled - some of us try to help. If you are being brawled and you're not very close its sort of time to suck it up and take the loss like a man (aka don't whine). ;)

#22 metallio

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

The number of times I've been hugging the back end of the assault lance like a decal and had a light or two start blasting away are legion.

Almost exactly the same number of times as I've started yelling/typing "Cheetah in the rear! Lights in the rear! C4 (or whatever)!" and engaged with backup weapons as the assault lance advances into the enemy...away from where I'm being picked apart behind them maybe literally 100m away.

The only effective method of dealing with this that I've found is to shoot my team-mates and that doesn't always get their attention either. If I'm fast enough I can get in front of them so they can't shoot and they seem to notice that...sometimes. Of course then they're just mad at me when they're dead.

Best way to handle it is to maintain situational awareness and run like heck when you notice movement. Then when they shoot the assaults in the hind end you can assist from cover.

#23 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

View Post-Ramrod-, on 06 June 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Supernova is too damn slow.

Its stock engine is garbage, just toss it out and get either a 300 or 325 rated engine to have a more appropriate speed for an assault.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 08 June 2017 - 07:53 AM.

#24 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

View Postmetallio, on 08 June 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

The number of times I've been hugging the back end of the assault lance like a decal and had a light or two start blasting away are legion.

Almost exactly the same number of times as I've started yelling/typing &quot;Cheetah in the rear! Lights in the rear! C4 (or whatever)!&quot; and engaged with backup weapons as the assault lance advances into the enemy...away from where I'm being picked apart behind them maybe literally 100m away.

The only effective method of dealing with this that I've found is to shoot my team-mates and that doesn't always get their attention either. If I'm fast enough I can get in front of them so they can't shoot and they seem to notice that...sometimes. Of course then they're just mad at me when they're dead.

Best way to handle it is to maintain situational awareness and run like heck when you notice movement. Then when they shoot the assaults in the hind end you can assist from cover.

Try using your VOICE. Its a miracle communication tool. If people are fighting they're rarely going to stop to read what you typed as thats a death sentence. I'm being a bit facetious I know but I can guarantee that I've always checked the location of people who spoke up to at least see what they were calling out and im sure im not alone. Yes there are always people who are entirely about showboating but others of us do play it as a team game.

Edited by Aramuside, 08 June 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#25 Magik Jack

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:36 PM

View PostAramuside, on 08 June 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

Try using your VOICE. Its a miracle communication tool. If people are fighting they're rarely going to stop to read what you typed as thats a death sentence. I'm being a bit facetious I know but I can guarantee that I've always checked the location of people who spoke up to at least see what they were calling out and im sure im not alone. Yes there are always people who are entirely about showboating but others of us do play it as a team game.

It rarely works though. Once the nascar/push has begun a lot of players have tunnel vision, and the culture of "don't chase the squirrel!", while true, unfortunately contributes to that. So in quickplay the assaults often get left behind, and unless they can manage 65+ kph it seems pointless to bring them. Groupplay or FP, it is somewhat better.

The recent nerf to mobility really made this worse. PGI wanted to up the time to kill and yet still make the game more "big stompy robots". What they should have done was nerf engine speed for all but the heaviest mechs instead to slow down the game, if that is what they wanted. But I digress...

#26 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:06 AM

View PostCaptain Hawkins, on 09 June 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

It rarely works though. Once the nascar/push has begun a lot of players have tunnel vision, and the culture of "don't chase the squirrel!", while true, unfortunately contributes to that. So in quickplay the assaults often get left behind, and unless they can manage 65+ kph it seems pointless to bring them. Groupplay or FP, it is somewhat better.

The recent nerf to mobility really made this worse. PGI wanted to up the time to kill and yet still make the game more "big stompy robots". What they should have done was nerf engine speed for all but the heaviest mechs instead to slow down the game, if that is what they wanted. But I digress...

Ahh that sounds a terrible idea a lights live on speed and agility.... ;)

Assaults and heavies were a victim of the odd former system when they could turn as fast as lights could circle them in a lot of clan cases. You should always be out turned by a agility specced light imo.

#27 Jadefalconpunch

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:47 AM

With the supernova you really need to grab that max engine and dump a good amount of skill points to get all the speed tweak nodes, it trundles about 62 kph then and that's not SO bad. I like using mine with 2LPL and 6 Er mediums for a 68 point laser vomit.

#28 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:02 AM

View PostJadefalconpunch, on 11 June 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

With the supernova you really need to grab that max engine and dump a good amount of skill points to get all the speed tweak nodes, it trundles about 62 kph then and that's not SO bad. I like using mine with 2LPL and 6 Er mediums for a 68 point laser vomit.

Why bother with the speed tweak? A few extra kph doesn't affect a whole lot, especially when you consider the payload you can carry. Just learn some positional awareness and use mixed range weapons to handle situations as they come. SP are much better spent on your fire power, survivability, operations, and maybe a few kinetic burst and hard brake points.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users