FTFY

#22 VanillaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

To the OP, we already have caseless ammo if you take the magazine nodes in the skill tree. With both nodes you get about 30% more ammo per ton.

#23 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

To the OP, we already have caseless ammo if you take the magazine nodes in the skill tree. With both nodes you get about 30% more ammo per ton.

the magazine skill nodes basically just cancel out against the structure/armor bonuses from the survivability tree though

youre not really getting an advantage in ammo by taking them, just keeping pace with the extra structure/armor that was added

#24 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

View PostKhobai, on 08 June 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

the magazine skill nodes basically just cancel out against the structure/armor bonuses from the survivability tree though

youre not really getting an advantage in ammo by taking them, just keeping pace with the extra structure/armor that was added

Posted Image

Edited by Alan Davion, 08 June 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#25 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 08 June 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

Oh, I understand the mechanics of it and it seems simple at face value. But so does the whole swappable ammo thing for LBX and a functional matchmaker. I'm pretty sure it's beyond PGI's ability.

but unlike swappable ammo, which changes how the Weapon works as each ammo has unique Effect,
this would just be another Ammo Item no different than if PGI made a 2Ton/2Crit AC10 Ammo with 45shots vs 40,
its another item, and as so technically you would mix Caseless ammo with normal ammo as how i feel it should work,

#26 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,842 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 08 June 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

FTFY

to be fair, neither would happen

#27 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

I like this idea. Alternatives could actually be harder to crit or slower to reload. Seperating the war head from the propellant may actually lower crit chances, but reload time would almost always be effected at least to some degree. Just thought I would add this.

By the way this is how the largest guns due to the warheads weighing up to 3 tons each not including the propellant, making it a must to not load the entire combined weight on a single mechanism, are loaded and even some of the most modern smaller guns do this. My guess is so they don't have to deal with the casing at all.

Anyway its 31st century anything is possible. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 08 June 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#28 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

Caseless is actually simple to add because it actually does use a modified version of a light/reg AC, the tradeoff, aside from the chance to jam, is that unlike a unmodified ac at that time it wouldn't be able to use any other special ammo since the modified AC can't fire it. Of course since we are unlikely to get ammo switching then caseless will likely just be a straight up upgrade to regular ac's, trading doubled ammo capacity for a small chance to jam.

#29 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 08 June 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

By the way this is how the largest guns due to the warheads weighing up to 3 tons each not including the propellant, making it a must to not load the entire combined weight on a single mechanism, are loaded and even some of the most modern smaller guns do this. My guess is so they don't have to deal with the casing at all.

*7.8 tons (7.1 metric ton). Don't underestimate the weight of a solid shell larger than an average human, even when not including the ballistic cap. Seriously, the firepower of this gun would give the Long Tom an inferiority complex. Although, it had a half/three-fourths an hour reload time.
Spoiler

Although, the reason the charges were separate from the propellant was for another reason. Explosions. If one of those charges blew for whatever reason, like a raid or strike run, then you could say goodbye to that 1,350 ton vehicle you spent long times and absolute **** tons of money building.

#30 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 08 June 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

to be fair, neither would happen

I'd actually be willing to bet money that different ammo types will be a thing in MWO at some point.

#31 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,842 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 08 June 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

I'd actually be willing to bet money that different ammo types will be a thing in MWO at some point.

il reserve judgment until the july patch. i have a hunch that its going to be more or less the same stuff we have now with different values. if we see 2 new mechanics i will be utterly amazed. i expect more of the same though.

#32 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,842 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

View PostKhobai, on 08 June 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

comes in handy when you have limited space though. i try to avoid unused slots in my mechs, if you have more than 8 free slots its usually an indication that your build is ineffitient. that could easily be sinkage, ammo, or an upgrade. so i might tweak my build and find myself with only 3 slots for ammo. its great for light mechs or mechs that are ammo dependant. by 5 tons and get the 6th ton free.

light ff is going to come in handy here too. all those mechs with 7 or more free slots are going to get an instant upgrade in tonnage, which will probibly go into the engine and negate the need for speed tweak skills, meaning more general agility.

#33 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

Brilliant thread!

PGI LISTEN UP!!

#34 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:22 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 08 June 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

il reserve judgment until the july patch. i have a hunch that its going to be more or less the same stuff we have now with different values. if we see 2 new mechanics i will be utterly amazed. i expect more of the same though.

Well we know of at least 1 new mechanic already, the RACs. Apparently they're going to have a longasfuck spool-up and spool-down time in conjunction with an equally long cooldown. Which makes sense since they'll probably spray bullets like a FAMAS from the Battlefield franchise.

#35 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,842 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 09 June 2017 - 06:22 AM, said:

Well we know of at least 1 new mechanic already, the RACs. Apparently they're going to have a longasfuck spool-up and spool-down time in conjunction with an equally long cooldown. Which makes sense since they'll probably spray bullets like a FAMAS from the Battlefield franchise.

i expect even the rac to be a cut n paste of gauss, flamer and uac mechanics. atms will just be a guided missile with a very short optimal range and then taper off to its max range. so a missile thats more ac like. mrms will be long range srms, maybe taking the lrm stream mechanic. rls will just be srms with embedded ammo. the rest of the lasers, gausses, ppcs, etc are just more of the same.

#36 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 June 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

i expect even the rac to be a cut n paste of gauss, flamer and uac mechanics.

but the Mix of several of those Mechanics Spool up(Flamer) with Jam(UACs) is still a new Mechanic,
as its not something that we have had here in MWO, and so it would be a New Mechanic,

View PostLordNothing, on 09 June 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

atms will just be a guided missile with a very short optimal range and then taper off to its max range. so a missile thats more ac like. mrms will be long range srms, maybe taking the lrm stream mechanic. rls will just be srms with embedded ammo. the rest of the lasers, gausses, ppcs, etc are just more of the same.

well LaserAMS would also be something new, ;)

#37 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

I was hoping for LACs plus Caseless Ammo. For mechs with low tonnage it would be great. Though I was thinking they would just give caseless ammo a small percentage to jam.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users