Why Not Chunk Up Existing Maps?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

So most of y'all have been playing much longer than my six months. I'm wondering why they don't just cut up some of the bigger maps into smaller areas and use them as well as the big version. They could double the number of maps in the rotation by having both large and small versions. Polar highlands and the snow one with all the mountains could be made into two separate smaller maps.

Domination and skirmish would be incredibly easy to build in this way. Imagine Grim Plexus cut in half with the domination point half way between the boundary and the center instead of in the center area.

Polar where you are only fighting along the edges of the map that almost never get used.

Even frozen city where you have only half the valley and then one side or the other.

All of these maps still have some areas where sniping and long range fire can happen, but at the same time the matches would be much faster and fights would be more intense.

I assume there is a reason they haven't done this, but I can't figure out what that reason might be. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:03 AM

Last time they "chunked up" Terra Therma it became so unstable for me I'm afraid of touching it(and I really like map design). But making 2-3 variants of each map chosen randomly to add gameplay variety is a recurring suggestion.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 07 June 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#3 Jiang Wei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

They have as map feedback forum... but I think may be broken....

#4 vettie

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

I dont know why they dont just bring back some of the older maps that have been 'altered' into what we have now.

I personally really enjoyed some of the old maps...

#5 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

I wish they would add the old maps back into rotation.

#6 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

I assume that they want to keep maps overall larger so that maneuver is more meaningful and lighter, faster mechs have more of a place.

#7 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

Yes, changing DOM locations on some maps, aka having a few spots they could spawn, along with some of the larger maps with conquest, or maybe even assault is something that has been suggested tons of times.

I am not sure why it has not been tried even with a few maps, Polar is one i can think of that 3 Dom points would be great, River city could move a couple into the city areas, lots of maps have a few great places for them. That change right there would really raise DOM to me. As it is now i kinda dread it more often than not

#8 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

Because most of the maps are already way too small to run 12v12 on and have anything other than deathball tactics run.

#9 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

Quite honestly... They could easily accomplish this by randomly moving the rally points and spawn points around without actually modifying any maps.

Patterned history and synaptic memory are at fault here.

Randomly relocating spawn points and or rally points would manifest in unique scenarios secondary to advantageous topology, natural topological funnelling and paths of least resistance.

Long and short... They could make each map feel different just by moving stuff around.

#10 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

View Postsycocys, on 07 June 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

Because most of the maps are already way too small to run 12v12 on and have anything other than deathball tactics run.

Not really.. Dom basically uses a 4 square grid area..(around 1.5k each way) Tons of maps have multiple areas that this would work

#11 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

I've been saying they could take the Siege mode maps and use either side of the gates as QP maps for a long time now. They'd have to make the dropship perches out of bounds though.

Vitric would be excellent on both sides of the gates.
Omega side of Hellbore, Boreal and Grim would be very good
Outside of Emerald would be good, very vertically challenging.

Not Sulfur though. Nope.

#12 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

View PostDaZur, on 07 June 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

Quite honestly... They could easily accomplish this by randomly moving the rally points and spawn points around without actually modifying any maps.

Patterned history and synaptic memory are at fault here.

Randomly relocating spawn points and or rally points would manifest in unique scenarios secondary to advantageous topology, natural topological funnelling and paths of least resistance.

Long and short... They could make each map feel different just by moving stuff around.

Yup just moving spawn points can change how maps play (see Alpine Peaks). But they could do one better by putting destructible walls around the place. Imagine how differently River City would play if there were destructible walls in the waters around the citadel. Or in the caldera in Caustic Valley.

#13 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

I think there's some giant abyss/black hole at PGI where the old maps go to die.

It's the same place the solid shot Clan LBX Ammo went.

#14 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:48 AM

View PostRuar, on 07 June 2017 - 06:59 AM, said:

So most of y'all have been playing much longer than my six months. I'm wondering why they don't just cut up some of the bigger maps into smaller areas and use them as well as the big version. They could double the number of maps in the rotation by having both large and small versions. Polar highlands and the snow one with all the mountains could be made into two separate smaller maps.

Domination and skirmish would be incredibly easy to build in this way. Imagine Grim Plexus cut in half with the domination point half way between the boundary and the center instead of in the center area.

Polar where you are only fighting along the edges of the map that almost never get used.

Even frozen city where you have only half the valley and then one side or the other.

All of these maps still have some areas where sniping and long range fire can happen, but at the same time the matches would be much faster and fights would be more intense.

I assume there is a reason they haven't done this, but I can't figure out what that reason might be. Any help would be appreciated.

Basically, cose' the maps used to be smaller, and were simply too small for 12 Vs. 12.

A large number of players asked for bigger maps, and in my opinion, they are still not big enough. I would like to see maps stitched together to make giant maps.. than scouting and info-war, as well as objective-oriented game modes would make more sense..

Ideally, procedurally generated random maps would be the way to go.

Small maps are too small for 12 vs 12.. although we might see some of the old maps reemerge with the advent of 8 vs 8 comp play..

Edited by Vellron2005, 08 June 2017 - 01:49 AM.

#15 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

Why not just add new maps. I know map design takes time but 1-2 map designers should be able to churn out a new map every month or so. Honestly I can't remember that last time a new map actually got added to the game.

Also would love them to remove or rework the map voting so we can get back to having more diversity in our map rotations. I have to say I a am getting to the point I would rather run my hottest mech build on Terra Therma than play HPG again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users