11 replies to this topic

#1 Last Of The Brunnen-G

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

Hi,

i want the devs to remove the ghost heat from all weapons and the 2 x gauß restriction too.

Before you are stoning me let me explain.

We can have an energy/heat system instead of an only heat system. This wouldn't force us to abandone the lore. I made some calculations how this could work. It's pretty simple once implemented.

Here are some condensed examples (further explanation follows soon).

Legend:
Energy units (EU)
Damage units (DU)
Ablative damage units (ADU) -> Mechs have an ablative armor (this makes non pulse lasers less effective
Heat units (HU)

Example 1:
IS SL 3Dmg/2Heat
6EU -> 4DU + 2HU = 3ADU + 2HU

Example 2:
IS SPL 4Dmg/2Heat
6EU -> 4ADU + 2HU

Example 3
IS (ER)PPC 10Dmg/13,5Heat
23,5EU -> 10ADU + 13,5HU

As you see it's simple. What gets in gets out. You are transforming energy into damage and heat. Let's have a look at a rocket launcher.

Example 4
IS LRM10 10Dmg/4Heat
0,5EU (10x0,05EU) -> 10x1ADU + 4HU

For the timing of the energy draw and heat production a pdf file follows soon. Ballistics will be added too.

The key of this is to not force players into shut down with ghost heat, instead the can draw their energy to a level, where they lose a lot of mobilty and other functionality of their mech. If the engine has output x and you drain more your systems suffer...

#2 RaptorRage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLB-79

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

Probably could ditch ghost heat entirely and just balance weapons using their heat values and cooldown times if things need to be changed to prevent certain weapons from alpha striking more than desired. If it means weapons run hotter or take longer to fire than normal it would achieve the same effect without making things overly complicated.

#3 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

We can remove Ghost Heat if we simultaneously implemented penalties, which Russ personally tweeted WAS a possibility and they even proved the coding capability with Energy Draw, and reduce capacity. Personally, I'd rather we set the cap to 50 and not let extra DHS add to it.

#4 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

Yeah but what about...

Poltergeist heat?

Posted Image

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 07 June 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#5 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 07 June 2017 - 10:59 AM, said:

Yeah but what about...

Poltergeist heat?

Posted Image

2toasty4meh :P

#6 veedubfreak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

Ghost heat and 12v12 will never go away. To do so would be Paul admitting he ****** up.

#7 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:29 AM

I very much dislike use of the comma as a decimal indicator.

In English the sound for period and point are similar so it seems natural. However comma is derived from Greek κόμμα so I am only assume it has a "k" sound in many other European tongues.

All major computer languages use the dot decimal. We should really harmonize around that over the comma. I am okay with full stop replacing commas for large quantities although visually I believe a dedicated spacer character leads to more pleasing typography.

If English did not use the period how would fractional values be spoken? In the manner of Empire Strikes Back? "Distance to shield generator?...One decimal two eight".? Decimal has three syllables were as point is a single syllable. Ergo, greater brevity and more efficient conveyance of information.

Edited by Spheroid, 07 June 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#8 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:31 AM

Only if we can remove engine caps too.

#9 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:11 PM

It seems pgi has come terms that they have the ability to balance things as the current day stands. Pretty safe to say energy draw is tanked idea and has been passed over.

Edited by Natred, 07 June 2017 - 12:13 PM.

#10 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

Last time we went down this rabbit hole we got energy draw which was hated so passionately by the community that it never made it off the public test servers. I have given up on PGI's ability to competently solve the ghost heat problem and have just accepted that ghost heat is the way things will probably always be.

Edited by Mole, 07 June 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#11 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

No ghost heat is a solid idea though :) down to run 3 large or 4 large pulse lasers on my ebon jaguar without heat penalties.

#12 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 07 June 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

*snip*

What are your thoughts on the usage of 1'000 instead of 1,000 ?

I find the inverted comma/single quote mark a much better separator for written numbers than the comma, especially when decimals are involved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users