Mwo Throttle ="on" And "off"

23 replies to this topic

#21 MechWarrior9376871

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:45 AM

I tried without throttle decay. In theory it should help but the constant need to manually back off takes your focus off of firing.

#22 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

I would like this game to be more of a simulator than an FPS. I would like all aspects of piloting to matter. I would like it to be more useful to use a joystick and throttle.

To do this, we would need to eliminate the FPS elements.

Targeting done by slew control and key press (lock nearest target to cursor), further option to designate specific components once locked - designate a target and weapons will auto-align within gimbal limits with delayed convergence. Normal distribution for weapon precision will be dependent on heat state, damage, and movement. Individual component targetting would suffer a larger standard deviation, but have the advantage of being able to fine tune point of aim with another slew control, so you may be more accurate (but require more time to aim).

Terrain, speed, gyro damage, and weapons hitting your mech affect stability. May fall under certain conditions, causing damage based on impact locations. Require some button press and throttle movements (dependent on orientation) to get back up. Advantages to mechs with hand actuators (maybe faster standing).

Target display and acquisition based on sensor range, sensor cross section of enemy, power/capability/type of sensor being used (can switch between magscan, electro-optical, radar, sonar, seismic), and intervening objects. Targets displayed on either a HUD or a situation display panel (e.g., minimap).

The game would no longer be based on how well you can point and click with the mouse. It would be more focused on how you employ your mech's systems. It would be more of a "thinking man's" game.

Mouse and keyboard would not completely dominate joystick and throttle, because now precision aiming is not the key aspect of the game. Knowing what controls and when to use them to manage the sensor, targeting, weapons, and movement systems would be the distinguishing features of player skill.

Edited by Dino Might, 08 June 2017 - 08:40 AM.

#23 RaptorRage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLB-79

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

View PostSunstruck, on 07 June 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

When I tried using a joystick just to see how it would work the throttle is probably the best implemented feature. It works great, but that said torso twist and aiming is horrible using a joystick.

If I remember correctly I think torso twist in the virtual world centers was done with foot pedals. Anyway its pretty expensive to have a decent joystick / footpedal / throttle to do it right. You might as well build a cockpit if your that dedicated.

Having a stick with a twist handle that works in flight sims as the z-axis or rudder control is good for torso twisting if no pedals are present.

#24 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 08 June 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

I understand what you mean, but such a change would make the game more Battletech, for me. From its inception, Battletech had deliberate and steady style. I don't mind either way, as I can perform in both.

I can appreciate why slower movement could be incentivized a bit more, but I don't want to see the game turn into more of a campfest because of somewhat heavy handed changes. If the goal wasn't to punish fast movement but rather to give more reasons to move slowly, then I would probably agree more.

In the meantime, moving at max speed does actually affect your heat dissipation by effectively shutting off 2 heatsinks, which isn't a whole lot but it is something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users