Troll Archer: Confirmed

47 replies to this topic

#1 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

loaded out an archer with 8 rl20s and an rl15. i fired one shot at a mech in ripple mode to no effect, then i used the remaining 155 tubes to take out a heavy. i guess it will come in handy when theres that event that just needs a kmdd or solo kill.

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

It can kill the Training ground Atlas too in one shot. 120+ Rockets will kill anything just about.

But one time use, so won't be fun for the user...

unless they pack a small laser LOL

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

This is why Rocket Launchers shouldn't have been added.

#4 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 June 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

loaded out an archer with 8 rl20s and an rl15. i fired one shot at a mech in ripple mode to no effect, then i used the remaining 155 tubes to take out a heavy. i guess it will come in handy when theres that event that just needs a kmdd or solo kill.

So what you're trying to say is that they're pretty much useless?

#5 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

View PostMadRover, on 28 June 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

Not so. In CW RL spam on Lights could be used to bring down the generators really fast without worrying about weapon cooldown. Seriously, those generators are gonna be gone in seconds.

Heck, in GQ/CW if a 30 ton Javelin can use RL120 and one-shot a Heavy, then that's a net gain on tonnage.

View PostScout Derek, on 28 June 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

It can kill the Training ground Atlas too in one shot. 120+ Rockets will kill anything just about.

But one time use, so won't be fun for the user...

If they can pull it off, it will be fun for many--especially when killing a mech that's twice as heavy. Videos will definitely be made afterwards.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 June 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#6 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 June 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

Not so. In CW RL spam on Lights could be used to bring down the generators really fast without worrying about weapon cooldown. Seriously, those generators are gonna be gone in seconds.

Heck, even in GQ if a 30 ton Javelin can use RL120 and one-shot a Heavy, then that's a net gain on tonnage.

They are useful that way. But wouldn't that pave so much way for genny rushes? Those rushes are just so uncool.

#7 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 28 June 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

They are useful that way. But wouldn't that pave so much way for genny rushes? Those rushes are just so uncool.

PGI better do something about potential easy gen rush issue before PTR ends. Not only gen rushes, but now teams could do suicidal 12-man Light rushes and use RLs to devastate the enemy's first wave that consists of Assaults and Heavies, thus gaining on tonnage.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 June 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#8 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

View PostMadRover, on 28 June 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

I don't know about that. Looking at smurfy's and mocking up a build for my JVN10-P I can have 4 RL20s, 2 SRM4s, and still be travelling at over 120kph. It'll give me two 87.2 point backstabs (2 RL20s plus a volley of 2 SRM4s) for sneaking up behind enemy assaults and the rest of the game with 2 SRM4s.

#9 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 June 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

PGI better do something about potential easy gen rush issue before PTR ends. Not only gen rushes, but now teams could do suicidal 12-man Light rushes and use RLs to devastate the enemy's first wave that consists of Assaults and Heavies, thus gaining on tonnage.

Suddenly, my idea of pseudo ACs sounds even more sensible than these things.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 28 June 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

Suddenly, my idea of pseudo ACs sounds even more sensible than these things.

I sent Chris a PM and a tweet on with my concern. With luck, he will reply by tomorrow. The potential for game changing is real with these RLs.

#11 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

I think rockets are for mechs that have a few extra hard points, and want to load up some kill shots..

Archer, Cyclopes, Kitana, treb maybe? I dunno, anything with lots of missile hard points.. Heck i could see a raven wanting to load one up, or maybe even a commando. Could be some fun strats in them

#12 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

I mean, you could do some interesting things mixing the RLs with the MRMs. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7fac146a2d3243f Replace the LRM 15s with MRM30s and the SSRM2s with RL20s. Quite a significant punch.

#13 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

It is basically a missile Direstar. I vote we call it Death Blossom.

#14 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

View PostRekkon, on 28 June 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

No, that's the Urbie's special attack. I say we call it Bees.

#15 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

View PostRekkon, on 28 June 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

Wasn't that a Powerpuff Girls episode? Posted Image

#16 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

You could just have the Archer with 2 MRM30s and then fill the rest of the space with as many RLs as you want so you have some decent alphas after you've fired the kill shot on some assault.

These will be absolutely game changing for the IS side in scouting, or even faction play. In scouting you could have that 6 launcher Bushwacker-p1 and have 6 RL20s loaded up then pick an energy or ballistic weapon of your choice as a backup weapon. with 4 launchers you're very likely to oneshot a medium mech that doesn't have its armor entirely frontloaded or skilled out, with 6 at once its nearly guaranteed. Just have a team of 4 people all oneshot one enemy on the other side and you've just won the match before the enemy could even get in range, and if there is anything left of the poor guys just finish them off with the backup guns while you are at full hp and they have bright red CTs. GG close.

In FP just make normal builds, swap an LFE in instead of an STD engine, fill out extra tonnage with RLs in any empty missile slots so you can just slap whatever clan mech that tries to trade with you with a crippling blow, they'll hit the guy before his CERML duration is finished, god forbid he brings heavy lasers and tries to trade.

#17 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

i did do an mrm80 cat a1 with 4 rl10s as an emergency hole puncher, it kind of works in a jam. so there is that. also the mrm was kind of not doing as much damage as anticipated. the rls took out the armor in one hit and then it took 4 mrm40 salvos to eat the structure.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 June 2017 - 08:24 PM.

#18 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 June 2017 - 08:24 PM, said:

i did do an mrm80 cat a1 with 4 rl10s as an emergency hole puncher, it kind of works in a jam. so there is that. also the mrm was kind of not doing as much damage as anticipated. the rls took out the armor in one hit and then it took 4 mrm40 salvos to eat the structure.

Reason being is that the spread is horrible on it. Needs to be toned down a bit if it wants better usage.

#19 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:38 PM

i THINK they overdid it on their damages considering in the lore it was 1 per missile. I would say they're most useful on mechs which people build boated with one type of weapon (like only LPLs) which also have missile hardpoints sitting empty. Could be useful for that killing blow with a thunderboat or blr-2C for example.

#20 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:07 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 June 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

Pretty much this.. I'm sorry but a light is NEVER supposed to be able to one-shot an assault!

I can see it now.. big organised teams bringing 3 lights and an assault in a dropdeck.. they light rush first 3 waves, get obscene kill / weight advantage, and then wash over the rest with assaults.. and they don't need to even open the siedge gates for the first 3 waves cose' many lights have JJ's and ECM..

We're getting the Arctic Wolf soon.. IS has the Javelin..

You really wanna play that game PGI?

Edited by Vellron2005, 29 June 2017 - 01:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users