My Biggest Issue With St, What To Play!

6 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

Title kinda says it all. I picked up a lot of new mechs because of the rule of one over the last 6 months. (barely got to any of them) And now with so many old mechs that are totally awesome and fun again and competitive I've just found the biggest issue is what do i play, before ADD kicks in and says, let me try that!

Heck i grabbed a highlander the other night just because.. Anyone else having the same issue?

#2 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 08 June 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

Title kinda says it all. I picked up a lot of new mechs because of the rule of one over the last 6 months. (barely got to any of them) And now with so many old mechs that are totally awesome and fun again and competitive I've just found the biggest issue is what do i play, before ADD kicks in and says, let me try that!

Heck i grabbed a highlander the other night just because.. Anyone else having the same issue?

My current *problem* is addiction to mastering/using those solo Mechs that I bought before but only got the first tier of skills unlocked since I only had 1 variant

#3 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

I've tried a lot of different mechs, and I think the ST has opened more doors than its closed, however, it feels like I'm playing a smaller pool of mechs consistently...

...might just be because I'm buying a mech that looks good or just interesting under the ST, spending 15 minutes or so fitting it out and skilling it for free, trying it for 5 games or so and then going back to the mechs I really like. Before you'd have to slog through a bunch of games in bad variants so I'd never touch something like the Vindicator of Dragon. Now a mech like the DRG-1C is a smart addition to the mechbay with basically no investment. I wouldn't play it on my own time, but if I'm in a group and we need to drop or pick up tonnage I can slip into a strong 65t mech easily.

On the other hand, some of the mechs I really enjoyed and played a lot in feel like they're either a little clunkier than before (splat AWS-9M and PB) or really significantly worse (King Crab), so instead of having 4-5 variants that I play a lot, it's more down to 2-3.

A positive side of that is that I feel more invested in a specific mech. I've tried about 4-5 very different loadouts for my MAL-1R since the ST. It's nice to not feel so indebted to the variant quirks, especially on mechs with a lot of good hardpoints. I can build the mech for UAC5s and then tear it all down, engine it up, and reskill it for SRMs and more armor. These aren't necessarily optimal builds, but they're made more viable by the ST.

#4 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

To be honest ever since the skill tree, I've dumbed downsome mechs that used to use a XL down to a STD simply because the agility wasn't there anymore due to engine decoupling.

However, some mechs only suffered minor speed loses, such as a griffin of mine, who went fom 100KPHish down to 90KPH, while still retaining its weapons and ammunition, more now since ammo quirks.

Honestly, I'd just hang on to waiting for LFEs for some mechs, it will be a lot more easier to use them than XLs.

#5 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:03 PM

(whoops, Crap alt post, checking headway on event)

Yes i agree with the whole LFE thing. there are a bunch of mechs that i am just not playing right now because i know i am going to put an LFE upgrade into it. So some will get a bit more speed, others squeeze in a couple more heat sinks for the most part. Or maybe i'll be going LFE+ UAC10/20 upgrade so there will be that.

Spending more time on clans atm for that reason. Also less mechs to skill, so i can get all the ones i play pretty much set by the time new tech comes out and i get to go hog wild into IS.

Edited by CJ Daxion, 08 June 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,842 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

i think my biggest issue is the fact that i have enough gsp to instantly "master" about 50 mechs, and enough gxp left to master 10 more at cost. i tried leveling my supernovas the slow way but got fed up about two hours in and just started spamming gsp until they were done. my monthly ritual of buying the cbill release mech pack, and mastering them was pretty much taken out back and shot.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 June 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:51 AM

Play brawler mechs. They are fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users