Background vs. power gaming

4 replies to this topic

Poll: Background vs. Powergaming (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Where would you see yourself?

1. I'm a true BT-Fan and that's why I'll stick to the background concerning mechs and behaviour as far as possible. (9 votes [34.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

2. As a fan of BT I really like the background but it's just a game and so I will ignore the background from time to time. (9 votes [34.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

3. Background is for forum activity but the game is just based on BT. A balance between background and gameplay is my choice. (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Background is just a guideline but if needed should be dropped. Success is more important than background! (5 votes [19.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

5. Background? I just wanna win and help my fraction to be the best. To win you need to powerplay and forget about the universe! (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MMax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Why are you here?

What is your style of play?

Is MWO more than a game for you, because you are really in to BT universe?

Or is MWO a new game with e-sport potential in which you might be the next champ?

#2 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'm here because I'm not in beta.

#3 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

This is an interesting thread idea.

I had MW4, but tbh I never really got into it. <Prepares to be flamed into exile> I also played Lone Wolf on xbox and it was one of my favorite games on the original xbox. MW:O, though, looks right up my alley and I've been reading some of the BT books. I want to win. I want to make Marik as great in MW:O as it is in the lore itself. To do that, I'm willing to follow lore but if I have to run a mech from time to time that isn't considered FWL, well, we're rich and I bought it.

#4 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

There aere certain elemnts that make the BT universe unique, and these need to be at the core of any game named "MechWarrior". To ignore the lore and canon would make the game one of any big robot games. The BT universe has a "gritty", realistic feel even if the premise is far-fetched. It is possible to see the IS develop out of today's society. The restrictions of the timeline and technology are a great part of theenjoyment. Anyone can do well if they have unlimited resources and "super weapons", but it is a test of skill to function successfully wiyh a limited technology and within a specefic social base. BT/MW has never been an "anything goes" universe. Yes, one should use every tactic and advantage one can find within the game world, but to win at any cost, even if it means denying the logical consistancy of that world, is not right.

#5 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

I'd fully stick to background at all times - if I knew every other player was going to do the same. We know for a fact that this is not going to happen. The game itself encourages loss of background, by such things as making all mech models available to all players so long as they shell out enough dough... I'll still maintain it whenever possible, but if it becomes necessary to drop it in order to enjoy the game, or if other players ignore background to the point that my sticking to it would do nothing to immerse me in the universe any further, then yes, I'll drop it. Not gladly, but I will.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 22 July 2012 - 09:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users