Why Did All Those Black Guys Dunk On Me?

Balance Metagame

43 replies to this topic

#41 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 11 June 2017 - 05:41 AM, said:

No, a matchmaker is designed to keep you from having to compete. FW isn't a mix of every league of football - it's college ball but it allows NFL teams to come slum it when they want to (comp players) and non-'pro' (casual or bush league) to come play too. However the expectation of performance level is there and set.

FaP is exactly that "a mix of every league of football in your words" i.e. and about as far from competitive (i.e similar skill combatants) as it gets. FaP I suppose is more realistic as a warfare simulator (one side is usually at a tremendous disadvantage). But calling that competition is hardly fitting....

Maybe I am crazy but maybe:

Pros should play well pros
Minors should play minors
Little leaguers should play little leaguers......

Take MRBC....it is competitive it has divisions (A, B, C, E2 or whatever subdivisions they make up etc). If you are not playing with a matchmaker by definition it is NOT competitive. You may occasionally face a similar skilled opponent but that is the exception not the norm.

I don't see any NFL teams running around beating high school teams and patting themselves on the back.

#42 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

View PostChagatay, on 11 June 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

FaP is exactly that "a mix of every league of football in your words" i.e. and about as far from competitive (i.e similar skill combatants) as it gets. FaP I suppose is more realistic as a warfare simulator (one side is usually at a tremendous disadvantage). But calling that competition is hardly fitting....

Maybe I am crazy but maybe:

Pros should play well pros
Minors should play minors
Little leaguers should play little leaguers......

Take MRBC....it is competitive it has divisions (A, B, C, E2 or whatever subdivisions they make up etc). If you are not playing with a matchmaker by definition it is NOT competitive. You may occasionally face a similar skilled opponent but that is the exception not the norm.

I don't see any NFL teams running around beating high school teams and patting themselves on the back.

MRBC is designed completely different than Faction Play, you scheduel matches with other units which allows them to put units in different divisions because they dictate when a unit will play, who they will play a week in advance. That would never work in Faction Play.

To divide people by skill or division for something like Faction Play you need a actual population to do so. Something Faction Play doesn't have considering it barely has the population to fill the one queue it currently has. There isn't that many people here that would disagree with the notion that people should play with players more in line with their skill level.

However that's not the reality of this game. MRBC was created by players for the competitive demand in this game. Faction Play isn't a competitive game mode but it's no little league either. Especially considering a little league already exists in the form of quick play.

I would also argue that the fact Faction Play doesn't have a matchmaker makes it a lot more competitive than it makes it non-competitive. The fact you can play anybody, any size group without limitations, any skill level by design makes it far more competitive than casual.

Faction Play isn't the NFL but I also don't see any NFL teams playing in it. Being in a group doesn't make you a NFL team.

Edited by DarklightCA, 11 June 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#43 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

View PostDarklightCA, on 11 June 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

I would also argue that the fact Faction Play doesn't have a matchmaker makes it a lot more competitive than it makes it non-competitive. The fact you can play anybody, any size group without limitations, any skill level by design makes it far more competitive than casual.

Matchmaking makes matches more competitive is fact. How can anyone dispute that is beyond my reasoning skills.

Whether or not FaP can support such a feature is another point. You can make the argument that PGI's matchmaker sucks but saying that matchmaking (computerized or manual (aka divisions like MRBC)) doesn't improve competitiveness is silly.

Hence, in reality quickplay (solo) is in fact more competitive*. You win too much in solo queue you will eventually get saddled with enough baggage to ring you down. Win rates in solo queue much above 60%/70% are very hard to maintain. I am sure there are a few. There are teams in FaP with 22:1 like ratios......do they have any competition whatsoever?

*well I think PGI's matchmaker sucks but it is better than random chance or free for all.

#44 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 10 June 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

I was there, and what is worse than the OP and his race based basketball theories/games, is the fact 3 of the 4 guys on the "black" team (as it so needed to be pointed out) were Gary Coleman.

I was there too.... I thought I seen Prince and his boys, and Tupac was there too man! After the ball game, they made us pancakes man... pancakes......Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users