New, But Not New.

9 replies to this topic

#1 EmptySkull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

I haven't played MWO in years, I have reinstalled it and looking to get back into playing. I was wondering if anyone wanted to point me to some good resources to understand what the overall meta is nowadays. Are any of the older founder's mech any good anymore. And if you were starting today what would be some good mechs to start with.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

your Founders Mechs are all still viable (but not top of the line) assuming you are a Legendary Founder like me you should have 7 Mechs with a cbill bonus, the AS7-D(F), CPLT-C1(F), HBK-4G(F), JR7-D(F) founders Mechs as well as the 2014 loyalty Mechs the AS7-S(L), King Crab (L) I do not remember the exact model number, and the Centuran CN9-AH(L).

the Atlas AS7-S is still a top (but since the launch of the Kodiak and MAD-IIC no longer the top) assualt Mech, it can take an AC20 + 4 SRM4/6 racks with 4 lasers making for a brutal brawler, that pretty much obsolited the AS7-D unless you want multiple balistics because it can take more missiles with the same number of lasers.
the King Crab can take an AC20 or a Gauss (or any other balistic except the forthcoming heavy Gauss) in each arm and mount missiles and lasers in realy high hardpoints.
the CN9-AH can take near Atlas level firepower with an AC20+3 SRM racks, although to use all that you have to seriously skimp on armor or speed (no E hardpoints mean you cannot skimp on ammo)
the HBK-4G is still a good Mech, and the Hunchback in general is still a good Mech for beginners as it can be extremely tanky after you learn torso twisting.
the Jenner is no longer the top Light Mech as it was in 2013 and early 2014 but it is still pretty good, its major problem is there are now Light Mechs with much better hitboxes, also the rescale last year (all Mechs are now scaled by volume per ton) made it significantly bigger than it once was.

I do not follow the Meta so am not the right person to give advice however Gauss and PPCs seem to be pretty common as is lots of lasers, and since the new skill tree came in last month LRM boating seems to have had a bit of a resergance.

as for good Mechs to start in 50 and 55 ton Mechs are a good start point, the Hunchback and Clan Hunchback IIC are both common recomendations for good starter Mechs, the IS Hunchy wins for durability, the Clan HBK-IIC wins for firepower.
other good recomendations are Centurian, Enforcer, Griffin, Huntsman, Nova, Shadow Cat, Shadow Hawk, Marauder, Warhammer, Ebon Jaguar, Helbringer.

but what is best for you will probably be highly subjective.

if you are taking a Mech out make sure it ether comes with Double Heat Sinks or budget to add them, if it is a Clan Mech make sure to put in an XL engine (most do, and you cannot change engine in an omni but there are several Clan Battlemechs including all the IICs the Kodiak and the Supernova which do not all include an XL) the Clan XL suvives 1 side torso loss and there are few Mechs that can carry enough firepower between head and CT to justify taking a standard engine for Clans.

I hope this helps

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 13 June 2017 - 02:10 PM.

#3 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

metamechs

With the new skill tree everything has potential. Take some time with it. It looks overwhelming at first but its worth learning.

Edited by Roughneck45, 13 June 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#4 EmptySkull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 13 June 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

your Founders Mechs are all still viable (but not top of the line) assuming you are a Legendary Founder like me you should have 7 Mechs with a cbill bonus, the AS7-D(F), CPLT-C1(F), HBK-4G(F), JR7-D(F) founders Mechs as well as the 2014 loyalty Mechs the AS7-S(L), King Crab (L) I do not remember the exact model number, and the Centuran CN9-AH(L).

the Atlas AS7-S is still a top (but since the launch of the Kodiak and MAD-IIC no longer the top) assualt Mech, it can take an AC20 + 4 SRM4/6 racks with 4 lasers making for a brutal brawler, that pretty much obsolited the AS7-D unless you want multiple balistics because it can take more missiles with the same number of lasers.
the King Crab can take an AC20 or a Gauss (or any other balistic except the forthcoming heavy Gauss) in each arm and mount missiles and lasers in realy high hardpoints.
the CN9-AH can take near Atlas level firepower with an AC20+3 SRM racks, although to use all that you have to seriously skimp on armor or speed (no E hardpoints mean you cannot skimp on ammo)
the HBK-4G is still a good Mech, and the Hunchback in general is still a good Mech for beginners as it can be extremely tanky after you learn torso twisting.
the Jenner is no longer the top Light Mech as it was in 2013 and early 2014 but it is still pretty good, its major problem is there are now Light Mechs with much better hitboxes, also the rescale last year (all Mechs are now scaled by volume per ton) made it significantly bigger than it once was.

I do not follow the Meta so am not the right person to give advice however Gauss and PPCs seem to be pretty common as is lots of lasers, and since the new skill tree came in last month LRM boating seems to have had a bit of a resergance.

as for good Mechs to start in 50 and 55 ton Mechs are a good start point, the Hunchback and Clan Hunchback IIC are both common recomendations for good starter Mechs, the IS Hunchy wins for durability, the Clan HBK-IIC wins for firepower.
other good recomendations are Centurian, Enforcer, Griffin, Huntsman, Nova, Shadow Cat, Shadow Hawk, Marauder, Warhammer, Ebon Jaguar, Helbringer.

but what is best for you will probably be highly subjective.

if you are taking a Mech out make sure it ether comes with Double Heat Sinks or budget to add them, if it is a Clan Mech make sure to put in an XL engine (most do, and you cannot change engine in an omni but there are several Clan Battlemechs including all the IICs the Kodiak and the Supernova which do not all include an XL) the Clan XL suvives 1 side torso loss and there are few Mechs that can carry enough firepower between head and CT to justify taking a standard engine for Clans.

I hope this helps

View PostRoughneck45, on 13 June 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

metamechs

With the new skill tree everything has potential. Take some time with it. It looks overwhelming at first but its worth learning.

Thanks for the replies. It is appreciated. I am glad you reminded me of that mechanic if the engine takes torso slots you die if it gets destroyed,

I have a lot to remember. AND a lot to learn. I am scouring the forums and such. But I do appreciate any links with direct information.
Thanks again!

Edited by EmptySkull, 13 June 2017 - 04:04 PM.

#5 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

View PostEmptySkull, on 13 June 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

I have a lot to remember. AND a lot to learn. I am scouring the forums and such. But I do appreciate any links with direct information.
Thanks again!

Any quick questions can always be directed here. Lots of people with lots of good information and we aren't afraid to share it.

Only think I'll ask is, please to drop build advise questions or "how will this work once it's in the game"... We can only do so much!

#6 Skave

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:16 AM

New tech in july, no point in Learning the current meta it's gonna change pretty soon.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:15 AM

View PostSkave, on 14 June 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

New tech in july, no point in Learning the current meta it's gonna change pretty soon.

also according to the roadmap for the next few months, this month energy weapons are supposed to be getting a balence pass, so if you are considering putchasing new Mechs based on what guns it can mount I would advise at least leaving it until after the patch on Tuesday to see what changes.

MWO is always changing, the Meta may well change over the next 2-3 weeks when people figure out how to exploit the new laser changes, or they could make lasers less viable and remove energy weapons from the meta altogether, the meta will most likely change again in 6-8 weeks with the new tech.

#8 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:03 AM

the IS Hunchback is definitely still viable, since with the new skill tree you can pack on your own armour quirks to boost the existing chassis ones. My Grid Iron has a total of 71 armour on the right torso after front-loading, chassis quirks and points in the survival tree all factored in. Whacked an AC20 into the mount and had a reasonably successful brawl in the basement of HPG (but maybe I got lucky, who knows)

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

View PostEmptySkull, on 13 June 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

I haven't played MWO in years, I have reinstalled it and looking to get back into playing. I was wondering if anyone wanted to point me to some good resources to understand what the overall meta is nowadays. Are any of the older founder's mech any good anymore. And if you were starting today what would be some good mechs to start with.

The Catapult shrunk considerably, and as such is pretty viable now that it's not bigger than 'Mechs over 30 tons heavier than it. In fact its quite compact.
h
Jenners are still among the top lights.

The Atlas is still a workhorse, be warned it moves a lot like closed beta so it'll definitely seem sluggish compared to the speed demon twitchfest it was last year.

#10 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

The Skill Tree that was introduced last month changed everything. There are many community made tutorials on Youtube pertaining to it. It would be a good idea to watch a couple and learn how to use GSP, HSP, GXP and HXP to level up your Mechs and prevent costly (game currency) mistakes.

Here is one to get you started:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users