Quality Of Matchmaking, Describe Your Experience

51 replies to this topic

#1 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

I would like to hear how content the community are with solo queue, as i am rather discontent about matchmaking and curious how it is for everybody. So i will ask that you rate your matches in different categories to which i will adhere and serve as an example

- Search duration is less than 30 seconds for almost always, sometimes only a few seconds so that is excellent. 9/10
- In about 1 in 10 matches (or even less) score board is 12v6+ which i use to determine a somewhat close match. So i rate match quality very low. Stomps are regular occurance, which is not fun gameplay even on the winning side imo. 4/10

So how is your experience, rate in regards to search duration and match quality.

#2 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:50 AM

Search duration: 7/10
It's been slowish lately with sometimes wait times in the minutes range.

Match quality: 3/10
Stomps are common, even matches not.

However, the poor balance of the game has IMO very little to do with the match making and far more to do with the base game mode which is 1-life team death match with a few variations on top. This is the real problem. It's a very unforgiving game experience which inherently makes it difficult to have a good game.

#3 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

So, my thoughts are that my matches are Lopsided, and for more lopsided(stomps) than there are games are close, 12 to 6-8 kills I consider a close match.

Problem is though, is the human mind is far more likely to remember extreme cases(stomps), than close® matches. So unless quantified by recording every match results for the next 100 games I can't know for sure.

#4 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

Posted Image

#5 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

Even matches (12-11, etc.) are the least likely to be experienced. This is just basic information, not a match making failure.

Why?

It means the battle goes throughout its entirety without tipping to one side's favor. Normally, Battles are very likely to tip toward one side's favor, in general, due to positioning and early loss of units. For a battle to go from start to finish without tipping is going to be the rarest outcome.

I don't understand why people seem to think the lest likely result should be the norm.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 14 June 2017 - 11:56 AM.

#6 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostYellonet, on 14 June 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Search duration: 7/10
It's been slowish lately with sometimes wait times in the minutes range.

Match quality: 3/10
Stomps are common, even matches not.

Pretty much this.

#7 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

If only we had a game mode like Battlefield's Conquest, were stomps are impossible unless the cards are heavily stacked. 12vs12 TDM will alway lean towards stomps.

#8 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,938 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hmm...
What?
PSR failed miserably in the long run?

wow.
Its not like this community predicted the exact thing 1 week after PSR release.... right?.... riiiiiigght!!!

#9 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

Well I have to qualify this first. I ONLY play on the NA server which slows down my match searching.

Searching - 9/10. I usually never have to wait more than a minute or so no matter what class of mine I play. Also even when it does run long, it is rarely if ever long enough that I start to get impatient.

Quality of Match - 7/10 - Honestly most aren't to bad though I, like everyone, get teams that are just plain clueless however I don't blame the MM on this. I mean you can get 12 Tier 1 players on your team and each and every one of them will think they know best because they are "LEET" and none of them will work together to accomplish anything. That is a team failure, not a MM failure.

Also as several have mentioned, you have to define a close match. For me a close match is one where the battle is very active and lasts for most of the timers duration. Kill counts don't really matter because a 12-5 match can be close if those remaining 7 mechs are being held together by bailing wire, duct tape and spit. At least 70% of the matches I am involved in are like that with maybe 20% kind of wishy-washy were the team isn't gelling on one side or the other. Only about 10% or less come off to me as completely lopsided and broken, if that.

Edited by Viktor Drake, 14 June 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#10 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

Similar to most other PVP games I've played.

#11 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

I bet 8v8 would even things up a bit more... less variables, lower occurance of being focused on by multiple enemies

#12 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostHumpday, on 14 June 2017 - 10:55 AM, said:

[...]
Problem is though, is the human mind is far more likely to remember extreme cases(stomps), than close® matches. So unless quantified by recording every match results for the next 100 games I can't know for sure.

That's is exactely the problem. For most issues, actually.
It's called "selective perception".
If the weather forecast is correct, no one bats an eye because tha tis what we expect it to be. If it is not correct, everyone loses their minds about how bad a job those scientists do.
So even if the weather forecast is correct 9/10, we remember it as "being always wrong".

Or stupid people do, that is.

Same with MM.

Also:
MWO matches are WAY to volatile to arrange teams in a way that there will always be close fights.
One wrong turn (plus swarm effect: 2 Mechs go somewhere and 5 follow) and bam, match lost.

Conclusion:
Please, MM whiners: grow up.

Edited by Paigan, 14 June 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#13 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

Experience can be summed up in two words.

CARRY
HARDER

#14 Ahh Screw it - WATCH THIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

I regularly see multiple comp team players (sometimes even from the same unit) on one team vs after school/work warriors on the other team. But hey they are all tier 1 right????

I would happily wait longer for better matchmaking.

Better matchmaking being defined as not knowing the outcome at the drop screen.

#15 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

Search time: 10/10 I play a light mech most the time. 1% represent!

Match team quality: 1/10

Forget every thing you might have learned about team work,strategy, positioning, counter mech/weapon strategies, using the r key, using the com wheel, using team chat,focus fire, lance light packing the assaults etc.

I've won a few matches matches using a narc 3s lct with a small laser, I get kills in the lbx only spider, I get kmdd using the most horrible builds and mechs like two srm six lct-1m. The vast majority of matches are rofl stomps with 2-12 or 3-12 and people going gg about it as if gg.

Teams shoot down their own uavs so afraid of da lurms, mechs run from an lbx 2 shot on frozen, go ino really bad positions like the road of alpine not taking cover from the enemy on the ridge then refusing to move. People just shut off their brains and expect cod or battlefront type play without re-spawns it seems.

My steam counter shows near 500 hours in skyrim and mgsv vs the mere 17 hours in mwo since I switch to the steam version for better stability to avoid disconnecting.

#16 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Search time is good, match quality is less good.

I would complain if the same thing didn't happen in literally every matchmaking game I've ever played.

#17 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:36 PM

You unfortunately just cannot teach some people to be intelligent or possess common sense on a battlefield, and matchmaker has no way of sorting out those folks from one another anyway. That's why we end up with folks thinking LRM boated king crabs and atlases standing such that half their missiles are just bouncing off the building they're hiding behind as their team dies...still managing to do enough damage spread among the enemy mechs to continually see their PSR ratings climb. Matchmaker has no way of knowing they got to Tier 2 by being dumb... just that they got there.

#18 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

Quality of MM: Does not exist (aka poor)

Time may be OK, but the amount of bad play is excessive, depending on time of day (particularly non-US playing times) with a side of meh in competency. That is the potato state.

#19 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

Search time for me is 9/10 - sometimes instant, sometimes up to a minute.

Matches are 3/10 this week (down from about 7/10 last week) - there seem to be four types of teams currently: pushy teams which run into their death, campy teams which won't ever push even if their life depends on it, inexperienced teams which do all the mistakes (like spreading all over, firing through friendlies, not locking targets) and pros which kill the enemies to fast you won't be able to get any damage in the few times they end up on your side. Also seen some predetermined games where one side had all the good tags and the other did not. Noticed a lack of scouting in some matches too.

Overall, the toxicity of players I've encountered this week is much, much higher.

Edited by Exilyth, 14 June 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#20 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

Sub 220 average match score players are pitted up against players with 350+

The skill gap between those sorts of players is what the tier system should be avoiding, but clearly tier isn't about your level of competency. #experiencebar

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users