14 replies to this topic

#1 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

Was putting the ballistic hardpoint on the GHR/BK hero in the lowest possible position a purposeful design decision? Seems like its making it worse for no reason. I know its not THAT much lower but seriously... you are going to notice it, like the difference between the two mounts in the Cataphracts right arm.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:51 PM

Black Knight hero is a 25 ton heavier Centurion; the impact is nil.

The Grasshopper, however, will be noticed but, then again, the TBR isn't that much better, if any. The Catapract is far worse than either, mostly because its PPCs are split across the torsos. The TBR and GHR can both corner-tart, the CTF cannot.

#3 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 14 June 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

Black Knight hero is a 25 ton heavier Centurion; the impact is nil.

The Grasshopper, however, will be noticed but, then again, the TBR isn't that much better, if any. The Catapract is far worse than either, mostly because its PPCs are split across the torsos. The TBR and GHR can both corner-tart, the CTF cannot.

What? The Gauss/LPL BK build I have planned would prefer a less knuckle draggy goose.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 14 June 2017 - 08:52 PM.

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

i think pgi learned their lesson with the kodiak and again with hero omnipods. they dont want no more "pay 2 win" heros for players to whine about.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 June 2017 - 09:03 PM.

#5 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:06 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 14 June 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

What? The Gauss/LPL BK build I have planned would prefer a less knuckle draggy goose.

So would the Timberwolf.

It'll work.

On that note, I suggest re-examining the Cataphract 3D. 110 CT armor and I haven't even touched the skill tree on it. STD 280, a pair of PPCs, and an AC/10, all in fairly high torso mounts? It's...actually quite good at what it can do. Now add the implications that LFE and/or SN-PPC have. A Night Gyr would have problems out-trading it at mid-range, due to Gauss Charge and armor deficit.

#6 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

I'd assume it's an artistic thing in the case of the Grasshopper, that's the bulkiest part of the arm. Makes sense that the big gun goes there.

With the Black Knight, I'm a little less sure. The large weapons seem like they go on the side of the arm... but the default placement has them on the bottom (and it looks a bit silly at the moment.) Thinking about it more, the arm also has a missile hardpoint. A LRM-20 (or MRM-40?) probably looks better as a box on the side of the arm, with a gun mounted underneath, than the other way around.

Edited by Kanil, 14 June 2017 - 09:26 PM.

#7 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 June 2017 - 09:02 PM, said:

i think pgi learned their lesson with the kodiak and again with hero omnipods. they dont want no more "pay 2 win" heros for players to whine about.

I mean, we are talking about low hardpoints here no matter what. P2W is inconsequential. If the lesson learned from the KDK-3 is that the GHR and BK need to have their ballistic mount as low as possible, then the wrong lesson was learned lmao

View PostYeonne Greene, on 14 June 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

So would the Timberwolf.

It'll work.

On that note, I suggest re-examining the Cataphract 3D. 110 CT armor and I haven't even touched the skill tree on it. STD 280, a pair of PPCs, and an AC/10, all in fairly high torso mounts? It's...actually quite good at what it can do. Now add the implications that LFE and/or SN-PPC have. A Night Gyr would have problems out-trading it at mid-range, due to Gauss Charge and armor deficit.

Mine has dual gauss and an ER PPC, it works.

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,100 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 14 June 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

I mean, we are talking about low hardpoints here no matter what. P2W is inconsequential. If the lesson learned from the KDK-3 is that the GHR and BK need to have their ballistic mount as low as possible, then the wrong lesson was learned lmao

to be fair players do seem to whine a lot. im sure that every time the forums light up with the latest exiting new complaint pandemic, pgi notices their profits drop for that week. if they make a hero (or any mech hince kodiak) that turns out to be too good its enough to kick off one of these major complaint campaigns. therefore its in their best interest to make the heros as bad as possible and thats why the hardpoints are low. a weak mech doesnt go to such an extreme, as soon as someone says "if you dont like it dont buy it", the situation diffuses itself.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 June 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#9 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:12 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 June 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

to be fair players do seem to whine a lot. im sure that every time the forums light up with the latest exiting new complaint pandemic, pgi notices their profits drop for that week. if they make a hero (or any mech hince kodiak) that turns out to be too good its enough to kick off one of these major complaint campaigns. therefore its in their best interest to make the heros as bad as possible and thats why the hardpoints are low. a weak mech doesnt go to such an extreme, as soon as someone says "if you dont like it dont buy it", the situation diffuses itself.

I mean, like i said, its between low and really low, so putting it on the side of the fist is a win-win.

#10 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 14 June 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

So would the Timberwolf.

It'll work.

3D is much stronger than people think.

2x AC10s + 1x PPC is a thing...and quite strong when positioned well.

#11 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

No expectations can be too low :) I mean, with the BK, since the lower arm and hand actuators are REMOVED, you'd expect the cannon to be where the hand is, because there is NO HAND.

#12 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

While art is no indication of the final model, that autocannon should've been on the side rather than underslung.

#13 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

View PostGyrok, on 15 June 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

3D is much stronger than people think.

2x AC10s + 1x PPC is a thing...and quite strong when positioned well.

It wasn't even that bad before the skill tree patch and associated improvements to the chassis. SN-PPC and/or LFE allow you to ignore the low-mounted arms and shove 30+ PPFLD into the relatively good torso mounts, and it's going to become pretty darn good again when that happens.

#14 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

Not even just the height I personally like arm weapons closer to the joint. For example the phoenix hawk the way the weapons pivot is great :)

#15 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:53 AM

It'd be nice if they raised it to the side.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users