Fw - Haven't Played It In 2 Years, Still Stinks

25 replies to this topic

#21 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

I actually d/l MWO late 2015 because I thought after years of bad press, the game might actually be going somewhere with the release of CW/FP.

Boy was I mistaken. The mission and map design were so stupid (do I really have to explain why to people here?) I couldn't stomach playing my 4th match and never went back again. I will happily try to herd 11 cats in QP than dip my toes in that cesspool again.

PGI just isn't a game studio. Alex can make great art asset but no one in that company has demonstrated any ability to even imagine what a fun, competitive and persistent-world game should look like. It's mech pack after mech pack after mech pack interrupted occasionally with some tech update and FP tweaks.

So much IP potential wasted...

#22 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:38 PM

View PostSQW, on 16 June 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

On that I agree 100% with you.

#23 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

View PostSQW, on 16 June 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

I actually d/l MWO late 2015 because I thought after years of bad press, the game might actually be going somewhere with the release of CW/FP.

Boy was I mistaken. The mission and map design were so stupid (do I really have to explain why to people here?) I couldn't stomach playing my 4th match and never went back again. I will happily try to herd 11 cats in QP than dip my toes in that cesspool again.

PGI just isn't a game studio. Alex can make great art asset but no one in that company has demonstrated any ability to even imagine what a fun, competitive and persistent-world game should look like. It's mech pack after mech pack after mech pack interrupted occasionally with some tech update and FP tweaks.

View PostMystere, on 16 June 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

On that I agree 100% with you.

Which sucks completely as MW5 is coming from them as well. Posted Image

#24 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

I offer my suggestions Here-in for folks new to CW. Give it a read, it may help.

~Leone.

#25 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:28 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 16 June 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

So, today is "win 2 games in Invasion with a passable score and get some MC day." OK, so I played a few games of FW. I haven't touched it in 2+ years, and now I remember why. It still sucks.

- PPFLD and laser vomit is about the only viable build. Brawling is questionable to worthless, LRM's are worthless (no shock), so expect the same mechs repeated over and over again.

- Map designs are still awful. Too many places to get snagged, pits that can only be exited on one side, etc. Also, the firing lanes that you blunder down to be massacred are just stupid.

- Game modes are still stupid. Defending was tolerable, but attacking was just futile. By the time the stupid gates opened, the enemy team was happily placed on the hill, drilling long-range holes in every mech that walked through into the kill zone. Again, who thought this was fun?

- Game mode performance is still shoddy. FPS was lower in those game modes than in QP, and bugs abounded. Lost a team mate to hanging on the drop screen when he respawned, and spectated on another team mate who fell through the map floor to float around in space for a while, with the map visible in the distance, until somebody mercifully killed him. That was just in 2 games... how can this mode still be this unstable?

- Games are nothing but slow motion rolls. Just because you have 48 mechs per side doesn't mean anything changes. I watched the score both matches, and if you divided the kills by 4, you'd get a typical Quick Play game at any time. So, the outcome isn't any different when you start falling behind, but it just takes longer to play out, which reduces what little fun remains even further.

- Poor teams get you killed even quicker than in QP: 2nd game we were on the attack, and my team of PUG's opened one gate, ran through, and died. OK... they then decided to start working on the other gate... until half of them went back to the first gate. The other half stayed at the 2nd gate, halfheartedly working on it, until they got bored, made bad trades and then wondered off to the first gate. By that time, the other half of the respawned team had died.

All of this without even getting to be seal-clubbed by a 12-man! And is it any wonder nobody plays FP anymore?

Same sentiment. I did play some games in the last Tukyayid event. I remember winning most games though, because Clan.

I do find much more fun, and most importantly variety in play, content, maps, mechs and tactics in QP. (QP still suffers from bad level design, its still obvious that designers do not know what they are doing. Though its not as bad as the FW maps.)

#26 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:53 AM

View PostZolaz, on 16 June 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

Oldie ... you should put your novel ideas on Russ' Twitter feed. I'm pretty sure he should know about this groundbreaking research you have done.

I know that's sarcasm, but think of it this way - if I'm saying nothing new, which is true since all of the complaints I've made (except perhaps the continued buggy nature of FP vs. QP) - why the hell is this game mode still such utter garbage years after release? And it's the same old garbage, too - the only new things are scouting (didn't play it since no MC for it) and the stupid Long-Tom, and we all know how well that went over.

I know it's fun for try-hards to bash anyone who disagrees and pretend a "lack of skill" somehow explains the horrible map designs, the bugs, the sloppy game modes, etc. but anyone who's being intellectually honest know that's not the truth. And yet PGI has done nothing useful to actually improve FP game play over the years. Yeah, yeah - they shuffle buckets around, but that doesn't change just how much it sucks once you actually drop. Maybe it's a bit better in a group, but so is everything in this game, so there's still no reason to play FP on cruddy maps with poor game modes riddled with bugs.

Edited by oldradagast, 17 June 2017 - 04:54 AM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users