Return The Awesome To Its Ppc Awesomeness

16 replies to this topic

#1 Tlords

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

The Awesome should be the king of PPC and ERPPC slinging. Looking at the Night Gyr Hero and the new King Crab Hero, they both have better PPC velocity bonuses than any Awesome. Heck the Warhawk Prime has better PPC velocity speed bonus than any Awesome, then with a targeting computer It's easy to get to 50% speed boost, something no awesome can do.

Please give back the Awesome the ability to get to 50% speed boost on its PPCs.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

The Awesome was known for its ability to fire PPCs for days without relent because of having 28 SHS (rare for a 3025 gundam), so if anything a PPC heat reduction or generic heat dissipation buff would be more fitting.

Edited by FupDup, 16 June 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#3 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:15 PM

It would also help if we could stack both singles and doubles in the external slots like one could in TT.

#4 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

I approve of this message.

And buff the Pretty Baby ... massively. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 16 June 2017 - 08:16 PM.

#5 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 16 June 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

It would also help if we could stack both singles and doubles in the external slots like one could in TT.

I'm pretty sure you couldn't do that outside of a very specific type of experimental heatsinks that had drawbacks of their own.
http://www.sarna.net...uble_Heat_Sinks

I'd be okay with MWO defying that rule, but I just had to clarify that rule.

#6 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 June 2017 - 08:19 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure you couldn't do that outside of a very specific type of experimental heatsinks that had drawbacks of their own.
http://www.sarna.net...uble_Heat_Sinks

I'd be okay with MWO defying that rule, but I just had to clarify that rule.

Thats fine. The way I see it, there is no reason for us not to be able too, aside from crit/tonnage restrictions. That little 1.5 million CBill switch should, in my opinion, only affect built-in engine heatsinks.

#7 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:21 PM

Change the ghost heat penalty to 3.

#8 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

+1.

As someone with probably 5K drops in the various flavors of Awesome, leading all the way back to closed beta, I can safely say that the whole Awesome line needs a lot of work. It was borderline before the skill tree, and now it's slipped even further down the borderline ladder to the point where it's perched precariously on the bottom rung.

Even though the skill tree made mediocre mechs less so, it didn't do a whole lot for the true underachievers, and the Awesome is the poster child for that category. Now, it's more of a punching bag. Sure, you can buff structure quirks with the survival tree, but those quirks don't do nearly enough to overcome the innate shortcomings of the mech; It's got more frontal surface area than a DireWolf, it has hitboxes that seem designed to make it easier for the enemy to hit what they want to hit, it's useable weapon hardpoints are universally low slung and widely spaced, and the engine decoupling hit it hard.

It's my favourite mech, and I used to feel pride piloting it because if you did well in a match, you know you did well, because getting performance out of a clearly underperforming chassis was an achievement.

Now, there's no amount of experimentation in the skill tree that can convince me to take it over just about anything else.

#9 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

I'm extremely disappointed that IS ERPPCs didn't receive any love at all. They're garbage because of their obnoxious heat inefficiency. cERPPCs were barely touched, so nothing has changed on the PPFLD front. Clan gauss and ERPPC still king. IS still dirt.

#10 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:48 PM

PGI likes making the Pretty Baby cry.

#11 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:16 AM

I'm extremely disappointed that IS ERPPCs didn't receive any love at all. They're garbage because of their obnoxious heat inefficiency. cERPPCs were barely touched, so nothing has changed on the PPFLD front. Clan gauss and ERPPC still king. IS still dirt.

IS get weapon quirks. So why would they buff ISERPPCs?

Id say right now the CERPPC and ISERPPC+quirks are pretty equal.

CGauss is still pretty overpowered though

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:17 AM

Give the Awesome a quirk so it can fire 3xER/PPCs without GH penalty. Posted Image

View PostKhobai, on 17 June 2017 - 12:16 AM, said:

IS get weapon quirks. So why would they buff ISERPPCs?

Id say right now the CERPPC and ISERPPC+quirks are pretty equal.

CGauss is still pretty overpowered though

Cause only the minority of IS variants have PPC quirks. That's why I always say leave quirks out of it, when doing proper cross faction weapon balancing.

Edited by El Bandito, 17 June 2017 - 12:19 AM.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:18 AM

with all the new ppc types coming out i think the awesome is in a good place right now. also i find the mech grossly underrated. sure its a barn door and hard to miss but i think thats what gives it some charm. when i was specing them out they ran well and got really high damage.

#14 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:48 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 June 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

with all the new ppc types coming out i think the awesome is in a good place right now. also i find the mech grossly underrated. sure its a barn door and hard to miss but i think thats what gives it some charm. when i was specing them out they ran well and got really high damage.

It was underrated before the ST and imo still better than zeus or victor, but it's agility has been really **** on by the desync. Yaw rates feel half as good as they were.

Turning it into a lumbering fire support mech is more true to the spirit of the mech, but it just doesn't have the hardpoints or hitboxes to ever be as good as it is on tabletop, without the agility of a big engine and monster quirks.

Before you could compensate for the hitboxes by just being far more agile than you had any business being, coupled with durability quirks. With just structure quirks, you just feel like a pinata. I prefer playing other mechs.

#15 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:27 AM

I got rid of my Awesomes after ghost heat. They were already a kinda bad and if I couldnt fire 3 PPCs together I was done with them. Other mechs have come along to make them obsolete to the nth degree. Its almost a novelty mech at this point like an Urbanmech. Yeah you can try to make them work but there are just so many better mechs to chose from now. I don't see very many Awesomes anymore and if I do its usually the LRM variant, the 8R I think.

The a big reason ghost heat came to be was the 4PPC Stalker and the 4PPC Highlander with the energy arm. The Awesome 8Q/9M were just collateral damage.

Edited by Kin3ticX, 17 June 2017 - 01:29 AM.

#16 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:18 AM

I play Awesomes and even I admit that they mostly suck. Nothing like watching a Battlemaster or Stalker rake you with a pile of lasers while only exposing their shoulders while you have to expose your whole torso to return fire. Yeah, that sucks and is just part of the design problems with the mech.

The low engine cap causes issues, the desync reduced its mobility, IS PPC's are cursed with that stupid minimum range limit that has no place in the game, and ERPPC's are too hot to run safely in any number. Combined with the hit-reg issues of PPC in general, and you have problems all over. Finally, Awesomes don't have enough hardpoints t compete in the age of boating, which has been true almost since the beginning of the game.

Awesomes are also supposed to be tough compared to the competition, with more armor stock, but that's not reflected at all in this game. Anyone can max out armor for their mech's tonnage, and the Awesome's lousy hit boxes actually make it more fragile than mechs that were supposedly softer targets than it was by Lore.

How to fix it? Upping the engine cap on all of them to 325 would help when the light fusion engines come out, and give them appropriate mobility. Make sure they all have appropriate armor quirks. And fix the dang IS PPC - and any future min-range PPC - to NOT have a 0-damage range cut-off limit. Reduce the damage as range decreases, or spread it like the Clan ERPPC splash damage, but don't reduce it to 0. That gimps the weapon and the mech, and also just looks stupid - somehow, the huge ball of plasma magically does nothing until 90 meters from the gun that fired it?! Come on...

#17 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:12 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 17 June 2017 - 01:27 AM, said:

I got rid of my Awesomes after ghost heat. They were already a kinda bad and if I couldnt fire 3 PPCs together I was done with them. Other mechs have come along to make them obsolete to the nth degree. Its almost a novelty mech at this point like an Urbanmech. Yeah you can try to make them work but there are just so many better mechs to chose from now. I don't see very many Awesomes anymore and if I do its usually the LRM variant, the 8R I think.

The a big reason ghost heat came to be was the 4PPC Stalker and the 4PPC Highlander with the energy arm. The Awesome 8Q/9M were just collateral damage.

It's a sad indictment of the state of the Awesome that the most viable build and variant is a missile boat.

The 9M at least could offer some mobility in the form of a 350+XL, with the added tradeoff of the insane level of risk you get piloting an Awesome with an XL in it. Worse than a Stalker. Now, with the engine decoupling, the benefits of all that extra tonnage are... minimal, when you take into account the fact that you explode under any sort of enemy scrutiny.

The Awesome needs some quirks. If not weapons, then a drastic increase to armor and structure - the buffs it has now are a pittance in the face of the mech's many shortcomings. If you have to expose every pixel of your ample girth to fire, either side poking or ridge humping, and if most enemies you face significantly out gun you, you need to at least be survivable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users