Anyone Know Of Any Particularly Good 3D Printing Tutorials?

5 replies to this topic

#1 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:06 PM

Between BATTLETECH releasing this year and PGI, to my knowledge at least, done with changing mech geometry it seems like a good time to sit down and figure out 3D printing. Of course, I've been learning on my own but there are so many tutorials to look at that I was curious to see if anyone knew any particularly well made or pertinent ones?

#2 Level1Firebolt

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:57 AM

https://mwomercs.com...ing-pgis-mechs/

can use this to get a model that is 3d printable

#3 ShadowLiger

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 21 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:41 AM

Curious about 3D printing. If it is how to use a printer then I would recommend this guys tutorials.
https://www.youtube....homasSanladerer

#4 Wonderdog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:31 AM

PGI's base game extract files are largely TERRIBLE for printing from - the models extractable from the raw game files aren't ready for print. There is a hell of a lot of work required in blender or similiar to get them into a state where they will play nice with a 3d print slicer.

Honestly - unless you are super keen, and have a lot of patience, I wouldn't bother trying to fix the game files into printable models yourself. (Voice of experience here).

#Wonderdog

#5 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

I'm not seeing a lot of issues with the King Crab so far- just holes that need to be capped,a good bit of clipping that needs to be booleaned, and smaller bits that need to be separated from their base parts. In any case, this turned out to be a bit premature. Since my last post, I extracted a model to work on and took a look at Meshmixer which was pretty self explanatory but the problem came in when I tried to get a quote. A 1/72 scale King Crab "claw" door costs 10 dollars minimum at Shapeways, by the time I print the full model I could buy my own printer with money to spare for filament. This has to go into the "dream deferred" pile for now.

#6 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:14 AM

View Postgregsolidus, on 18 June 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

I'm not seeing a lot of issues with the King Crab so far- just holes that need to be capped,a good bit of clipping that needs to be booleaned, and smaller bits that need to be separated from their base parts. In any case, this turned out to be a bit premature. Since my last post, I extracted a model to work on and took a look at Meshmixer which was pretty self explanatory but the problem came in when I tried to get a quote. A 1/72 scale King Crab "claw" door costs 10 dollars minimum at Shapeways, by the time I print the full model I could buy my own printer with money to spare for filament. This has to go into the "dream deferred" pile for now.

Preparing models for printing on Shapeways or other similar parties is not the same as preparing them for printing on desktop printers.
A. I am not at all certain íts ok to print MWO models through 3rd parties and
B.You need to give good thought to how much plastic you're using, I generally try to hollow out pieces I create to print on Shapways where possible, so wall thickness, detail and all sorts of things come into play-determined by the material you choose. I dont know what a printer would set you back but..a model 250mm tall might cost $200-$300(material depending).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users