Stalker - Oldschool Laser Vomit

13 replies to this topic

#1 Erebus Alpha

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:41 PM

Laser vomit is not the exclusive domain of the clanners. As it turns out, the inner sphere is pretty good at it.

This build works on both the STK-5M and the Misery hero variant:

3x Large Pulse Lasers
2x Medium Pulse Lasers
1x AMS
1x Beagle Active Probe
10x Double Heat Sinks
Standard Engine 310
Standard Internals
Standard Armor (480/526)

45 alpha might be mediocre compared to some builds, but four of the Stalker's five energy hardpoints are mounted above the cockpit. You can expose very little of your mech to enemy fire and still inflict significant damage.

The hitboxes are arguably superior as well; just a bit of torso twisting can very effectively displace enemy fire onto whatever part of the torso you want. 480 armor is enough for full arm & torso armor, which can be buffed further by investing SP in defense.

You can fire all of this laser vomit with no ghost heat, and it is rather heat-stable at 1.38. Using just the three large pulse lasers, your heat efficiency goes to 1.64, which is ideal for extended brawls. IS pulse lasers have deliciously short burn times.

If you prefer, you can put two LPL's in one arm, and use the other side of the stalker as a shield-side. I have better success with one MPL and one LPL in each arm, spreading damage across both sides of the mech. A CT-mounted large pulse laser & standard engine makes it a great zombie build.

The 310 engine propels the mech at 63.5 kph, which is pretty good for an assault. Sink some skill points into the agility tree, and it is agile enough to flank, charge, and keep up with heavies reasonably well.

I regularly get 700+ damage per match in this mech, and on losses, I almost always do enough damage to avoid losing skill rating.

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:13 AM

If you lost the BAP you could max out the armor. I run a similar build on my Stalker 3FB. 3 lpls and 3 mls with ECM. Great mech. The only disadvantage is no energy point in the CT.

Edited by mailin, 17 June 2017 - 01:14 AM.

#3 Erebus Alpha

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

With SP spent on defense, I end up with 58 armor on the legs, 11 on the head, and armor-maxed everywhere else. It is more than enough to avoid being legged, and unlike most IS assaults, I don't hide ammo in there.

...Although I do hide the BAP in one of my legs.

Edited by Falconer Sword, 17 June 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#4 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

Just witness a similar 5S build during my last game on Cannon Network, seems to work very well.

#5 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

For Misery that might work, but exactly what's the idea of medium pulse when you can have SRMs on Stalker-5M.

#6 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:18 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 26 June 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

For Misery that might work, but exactly what's the idea of medium pulse when you can have SRMs on Stalker-5M.

Longer range on the mpls and not ammo dependent. Also, the possibility of pinpoint damage is a major plus.

#7 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

I run 4xLL and an AC20 on my Misery, and I can't count the number of times I've flattened a brawler who got in close thinking I was a long-burn laser only boat.

#8 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

As far as "Stalkers" go this one lives up to its name STK-3FB

#9 Frank D Tank

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

I have been running my STK-3FB with this build. I am usually not a fan of LRMs, but this build works very well. It is an amazing CBill grinder.

I have enough missiles that I don't mind wasting a few shots early, but ideally I like to get with in 600m of my target so that I can pepper them with the 5 ERMLs. This is key, as you want to self tag and have LOS while firing most of your missiles.

If someone closes to close these 5 ERMLs will work wonders on them, especially if you saw them closing and got a few LRM volleys in beforehand.

#10 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:56 AM

Damn I love Stalkers! Think I'll pick up a 3FB, as it's the only one I haven't mastered.

#11 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

View PostNeput Z34, on 06 August 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

As far as "Stalkers" go this one lives up to its name STK-3FB

Yeah, "Stalker" fits! I just rebuilt my FB to ERML and LL's. Was hunkered down against a wall on Grim Plexis after losing a side torso when a Warhammer ran by and didn't notice me. His back was very tasty!

Can't remember the exact build because it was my first game after rebuilding it in to LL's and ERML's. I think it has 3 and 3 for sustainable alphas without having to stagger the LL's.

#12 Spare Parts Bin

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

View PostKarl the Plumber, on 29 July 2017 - 09:33 AM, said:

I run 4xLL and an AC20 on my Misery, and I can't count the number of times I've flattened a brawler who got in close thinking I was a long-burn laser only boat.

Got a Smurphy for this build?

#13 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,795 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 29 January 2018 - 09:37 AM, said:

Got a Smurphy for this build?

Just threw this one together...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...82722e0ff97773e

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 29 January 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#14 Spare Parts Bin

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 29 January 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

Just threw this one together...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...82722e0ff97773e

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Thanks, I will try this tommarrow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users