Please Teach Me To Heavy

10 replies to this topic

#1 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

I honestly tried, but I just don't know how to Heavy. I play mostly lights, and all my heavies are on the smaller side (Dragon and Jester Catapult). I find that they are great at zooming around the map, but not so good at dueling anyone. I feel like I'm not nearly tough enough to facetank things (or maybe I'm just horrible at twisting), and not quite fast enough to pull crazy manuevers. (Especially since I'm only carrying 10t more than mediums. But seeing that other people do just fine with these mechs, I'm sure there is plenty of room to improve. So if anyone would be so kind as to share your play style and preferences, I'd be very greatful. Thank you.

#2 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

If you're used to lights, probably take a Linebacker? It's essentially an up-armoured, up-gunned Adder that's even more nimble. Not much of a playstyle difference with those.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:27 PM

I will try to film a few new ones during the day.
In the mean time.

#4 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

I haven't watched through all the vids just yet, but the first one was immensely helpful. I have mostly relied only on the autocannon on my Dragons so far, and it had been really hard to balance fire power/sustainability(I just don't carry enough ammo) on a budget. Now I strapped on an LL to help me poke at distance, and it's been working out really well.

Is there any good build for LB10-x? I just like the idea of a shotgun, even though it does seem a tad weak in MWO.

#5 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

LBX10 is not weak.

#6 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostXoco, on 18 June 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

I honestly tried, but I just don't know how to Heavy. I play mostly lights, and all my heavies are on the smaller side (Dragon and Jester Catapult). I find that they are great at zooming around the map, but not so good at dueling anyone. I feel like I'm not nearly tough enough to facetank things (or maybe I'm just horrible at twisting), and not quite fast enough to pull crazy manuevers. (Especially since I'm only carrying 10t more than mediums. But seeing that other people do just fine with these mechs, I'm sure there is plenty of room to improve. So if anyone would be so kind as to share your play style and preferences, I'd be very greatful. Thank you.

This is just my two cents on the matter as a fellow primary light mech pilot. Each mech is a bit different and may take you a bit to find the heavy that fits the overwhelming nature of your play style. Due to this it may not even be the mech you expect at all, I tried the cataphract, rifleman, and marauder and none were a fit but as it turns out the Orion has just the right mix of perks to match my play style. Since you mentioned the Catapult, But also you mentioned still wanting to be agile you might want to consider the Quickdraw which is give or take sort of like the dragon but does missiles mainly instead of ballistics.

#7 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 07:57 AM

I second the quickdraw recommendation for you. Try the classic 3LPL build on the 5K or the 4G. There are a bunch of different ways to do it, but here's one with a light XL so you can have a shield side: QKD-5K

I use an XL and have no plans to swap. As a light player, you might find the extra mobility as useful as I do. It's a nimble mech and the JJs let you get in and out. Hope you find a heavy that works for you.

Oh, and if you like the idea of the LBX, try the IV-FOUR. It's on MC sale right now.

Edited by Karl the Plumber, 22 July 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#8 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

Sore subject for me too. My only success - if you can call it that - was with Catapults and the loyalty Cataphract (XL340 and MASC).

I really want to give the 60 ton crowd a try now.

#9 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

I played a surprisingly long time without owning any heavies, but there now some of my favorite QP and FP mechs. I've found that focusing your build for a particular range and working to maintain that range is a key part of piloting a heavy. Additionally, as an IS player, do not be afraid to sacrifice limb armour for increased firepower and speed.

I'm currently running an Archer with an XL 340 and 8 SRM6 launchers, and it's quite the effective for flanking or for being an assault buddy. If the XL scares you, it can still run LFE for a 70 kph top speed with tweak. The other Heavy I'm loving right now is the quad UAC/2 Jager-DD. It puts out a staggering DPS (around 30 when nothing is jammed) and has an optimal range of 840 meters.

On the other side of the spectrum, my brother runs an Orion and it so far seems to be pretty effective with a big LFE.

Edited by SirSoggyDog, 22 July 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#10 Veolfen

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

As said above, if you want to stay on the "nimble side" of heavies, build your quickdraw and train your torso twist.

If you have credits to spend, the Linebacker is the ultimate "fast heavy", extremely nimble and sturdy + fire power of a medium mech.

If you want to test "tough heavies", you have multiple choices :

-Marauders & Orions => Tankiness & decent firepower. With a good twisting you'll see what being tanky means (Quickdraw and Dragons aren't really tanky). Of course, being tanky doesn't mean that you can take the alpha of all the ennemy team. With those mech, you actually need to learn how to move with the team, and how to create openings.

-Timber Wolves, Warhammers, Nightgyr & stuff => Firepower heavies & decent tankiness. You'll discover the meaning of having huge alphas while keeping tankiness & stuff.

Anyway, the 2 best "mechs" to learn how to play a heavy since they are extremely powerful are the Timberwolf (for obvious reasons) and the Hellbringer (for the ECM bonus).

Edited by Veolfen, 27 July 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#11 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

Give different trial mechs a go. They usually have good loadouts already thought-out and equipped for you.

Edited by DavidStarr, 28 July 2017 - 12:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users