The Hbk-4P Is Back And Cooler Than Ever!

13 replies to this topic

#1 Maurice Thorez

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

Sorry for the pun, but I am very excited for the return to viability of the 4P!

Perhaps lost in the debates over the small laser changes is that IS MLs received a 15 percent reduction in heat generation. When I read this, my first thoughts were about one of my old favourites from the Open Beta days, the HBK-4P. Any IS build that used 4 or more MLs ran quite a bit hotter with the heat cap reductions over the past year and a half, hurting their viability. That included the 4P, which usually struggled to alpha 3-4 times before having to duck into cover to cooldown. Not the best thing for a 30-point alpha. Now, with the ML heat reduction, structures bonuses, and duration skills, I feel it is in the best place in a long time.

I know the 4P was never the one of the worse perforners compared to some other, but it is nice to see what I consider to be an iconic mech being unquestionably viable again. The HBK-4H and GI should do much better as well.

#2 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

DOH!

I completely forgot about this mech when reading the patch notes. Thanks! :)

#3 Azure Kit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostMaurice Thorez, on 21 June 2017 - 12:41 PM, said:

Sorry for the pun, but I am very excited for the return to viability of the 4P!

Perhaps lost in the debates over the small laser changes is that IS MLs received a 15 percent reduction in heat generation. When I read this, my first thoughts were about one of my old favourites from the Open Beta days, the HBK-4P. Any IS build that used 4 or more MLs ran quite a bit hotter with the heat cap reductions over the past year and a half, hurting their viability. That included the 4P, which usually struggled to alpha 3-4 times before having to duck into cover to cooldown. Not the best thing for a 30-point alpha. Now, with the ML heat reduction, structures bonuses, and duration skills, I feel it is in the best place in a long time.

I know the 4P was never the one of the worse perforners compared to some other, but it is nice to see what I consider to be an iconic mech being unquestionably viable again. The HBK-4H and GI should do much better as well.

I've been running it with 9ML since 2013, never really had heat issues since id fire in groups of 3, but that taught me some sweet heat management I guess. Posted Image

#4 Maurice Thorez

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

It has been too long forgotten!

#5 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

I've been running mine with 6x MPL, rather looking forward to adding an LFE so I can cram in some more DHS.

It's not as effective as my 6x MPL HBK-IIC-A, even after the laser changes, but it's definitely closer in performance now.

#6 Maurice Thorez

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 21 June 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

I've been running mine with 6x MPL, rather looking forward to adding an LFE so I can cram in some more DHS.

It's not as effective as my 6x MPL HBK-IIC-A, even after the laser changes, but it's definitely closer in performance now.

That is true. 6 MPL was arguably more effective for years now. I have a soft spot for the near-lore ML build though and I am no diehard for stock builds either. It definitely will take quite a bit more to bring up to the HBK-IIC level, but I think this is the closest it has every been. I am not sure LFE will make a big difference for it as it really lacks the slots to stuff more DHS in it. You would likely have to remove the Endo to add more than 1 or 2 than you currently have.

#7 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Been running mine as an ERLL overwatch mech after the patch, 0.825s burn with skill tree bonuses and quirks is pretty crazy. HBK no longer has any medium laser quirks, and it's a bit squishy at ML range, but the build might be viable once LFE lands.

#8 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

yea, i hopped in my 6ML crab last night has it was working lots better. Maybe i should give this one a try.. maybe i'll finally enjoy it! :) the 4P is one mech i could never get to work well for me.

#9 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

I had been running mine for a while with 9 spls. It works out pretty well overall. Just remember to stay close to the assaults and heavies so that you aren't a priority target.

Edited by mailin, 21 June 2017 - 01:18 PM.

#10 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

1 lpl 6 med standar 250. sweet. or erll

#11 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

8 energy BJ is also pretty good due to the mount locations.

#12 Skanderborg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:48 PM

i've been running my 4P a lot since this patch. I can almost constantly fire 6 ML's without overheating.

Edited by Skanderborg, 21 June 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#13 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

CDA-2A (and BJ-1x) does the 6ML poke build better, though. Much faster and gets better offensive quirks.

#14 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

Yo OP, I'm really happy for you and Imma let you finish, but the Top Dog is the best ML/MPL mech of all time. And it now runs cooler as well. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users