Do I Need Leg Armor?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

Sorry to bring up an old topic again, but the most recent thread I found was dated Jan 2016, so I figured it's ok to just make a new one.
Anyway, do I need leg armor as Assault? I've only put maybe 20 games in Assault, and so far I only got legged once (was putting up a last stand against an enemy Assault plus 3 Lights. Frankly I think they just missed my LT and hit my leg because they're new Lights from the Rush Hour event). Anyhow, it feels that maxing out leg armor right now is just overkill. Any thoughts?

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,708 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

Lights love legs, and as a slow assault, do you really want a light to leg you and make you even slower? It is okay to shave off a few points but I would not strip it. Once people found out major stripping of leg armor, it becomes who can leg you the fastest!!

#3 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:28 PM

My current build has something like 40 armor on each leg-enough to keep me alive and kill 1 or two lights if they attack me. (PuG lights generally don't aim too well). But I do want to keep my build viable for clan wars too, so I'm not sure if I need more. All considering though, I might end up just dropping 1t of ammo and bumping up the armor back to full because my AC20 build tends to run out of slots faster than weight too.
By the way, should I bother with any kind of sensors in Assault mechs?

#4 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:05 AM

Most lights try to take out your rear. Something like 50-60 should be pretty fine of most. Take 70 if you are afraid. I think most of mine have about 60. Some longer legged ones might have more.

After you play, you will see how much you need. If you get legged too often, you take more. It depends on mech, loadout and playstyle as well.

My newest assult Zeus has currently 23 leg armor, because it has this insane amount of stucture, 70. I will increase that if it needs to. Usually I start off with too little.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:30 AM

You definately need leg armor, go no armor and you will loose a leg in 1-2 hits and most people will specificaly aim for the legs, because they can see you do not have armor.

If the question is do you need max leg armor then probably not, but I would never take less than half leg armor, and if explosive ammo is in the legs I take at minimum 75% leg armor.

As with any armor distribution make your own decision, if you are never getting legged then drop leg armor a bit, if you are frequently getting legged increase leg armor.

#6 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:12 AM

Max on lights

Roughly equal to or slightly less than the front side torso armour on mediums heavies and assaults

#7 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:57 AM

View PostHobbles v, on 27 June 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

Max on lights

Roughly equal to or slightly less than the front side torso armour on mediums heavies and assaults

I have like 100+ on my King Crab front side torso (I only have 8 on the back..strangely no one has bothered to shoot my back so far..) But I'm guessing you mean something like 50 to 60?

#8 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:12 AM

View PostXoco, on 27 June 2017 - 06:57 AM, said:

But I'm guessing you mean something like 50 to 60?

That's a good number. The main thing to consider is that you don't want your legs to be a juicy target, so you want enough armor that when it does get shot the enemy doesn't see a massive color change, indicating that you brought no pants to the fight.

#9 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

View PostHobbles v, on 27 June 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

Max on lights

well fast mediums treat as lights as far as leg armor though. but yeah slower mediums/heavies/assaults you can get away with less. unless you're worried about having ammo there to explode. a lot of lights I know will do a "leg check" and take a poke at a mech's legs to see if it's worth trying to leg them though.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:46 AM

When I drive a light I will often do a single alpha on an enemy leg, just to check. If I see that the legs are squishy, then I pour on the firepower to the legs.

As previously mentioned, it's okay to shave a little off your legs, but if you are dying too often because of a loss of legs, it's time to tweak your build.

Edited by mailin, 27 June 2017 - 07:47 AM.

#11 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:42 AM

Usually 50, sometime as low as 40 if my torso is a bigger target like Zeus, Awesome.
Tend to have max or near max armor on Victor and Highlander due to jumping alot.

#12 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:52 AM

Lights - max always.

Anything bigger - you've got to find the special balance between saving tons and getting burnt. You want enough to not ever be 'leg checked' by an errant alpha or something. Skilled players can notice how fast the leg armor drops and realize you're under-armored there. Some more organized teams also will occasionally focus fire on legs. They're big targets and if not properly armored are more juicy targets than a mechs frontloaded torso that can spread to 3 other locations and use arms to block.

#13 Enduring

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:33 AM

I love stripped legs - why ?

I try to be an efficiency player - so in many situations I am focusing legs (because you can hit legs from any position what results mostly in a higher TTK then try to shouting out CTs or both STs - and because you are not always in a lucky situation to be in the back of an enemy).
That count not only for lights or mediums - and vice versa i would never stripp my legs armor - i would rather strip arm armor even a weapon is mounted

Watch at some MRBC Matches and you will see that most teams focusing legs till a weight round about 75 tons (for example: you are able to kill a TBR faster by shooting his legs than his torsi - if you are a reasonably good shooter)

And yes i would say its works in a QP as well - but this is just my opinion

PS: Sry for my bad engl.

Edited by Enduring, 02 July 2017 - 04:36 AM.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:23 AM

Honestly, I find that assaults and lights are the most legged mechs. Mediums depend on if they are fast; fast ones tend to get legged. Slow ones tend to lose their torsos. Heavies are much the same story; fast ones like the Linebacker tend to get legged. Slower ones tend to see body shots.

Have at least 26 points of armor on the legs just in case if someone shoots down there. Preferably 40 something.

#15 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

Typically, the less leg armor you run the more likely you are to get shot at in the legs. I know, it sounds kind of obvious, but as you take fall damage, or a quickly aimed shot brushes your legs, if you have less armor down there its going to fall off faster. And if someone sees that your leg armor is in the red or orange while the rest of your mech is still pretty armored, most of the time they'll try to knock that leg off. The more leg armor you put on, the less likely it is to get low and therefore it will be a less attractive target.

#16 Ebola

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

from my view I vary the armor on my ANH-2A legs quite a bit, if I have the leftover tonnage i pile it on, but its the first to come off if I need a few extra shiny bits.

I would say experiment It depends on the chassis and how people react to it. Annihilators have so much armor everyone aims at the torsos to try and disarm it otherwise they just get burned into the ground by my dakka. In 200 or so matches playing it, I have only been legged a few times. so if you find your torsos are always popping first, then you can shave your legs until they become the weak point then it is just a balance to match your play style and average opponent

its not uncommon for me to drop my legs down to 55-60 pts of armor if I need the extra tonnage down from 95 max per leg that saves me more than a ton per leg, and I shave my arms some as well cause they ALWAYS aim for my side torsos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users