Why Would I Take 4 Hml Instead Of 6 Er Ml?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

Honestly, yeah I get its two tons lighter, but look at the advantages of the 6 ER ML... More damage, more range, lower duration, less crit slots. Not really seeing the point of HMLs given the high duration, low range, and low ghost heat limit.

IMO, the ghost heat limit should be 6 like the rest of the medium lasers in the game.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 28 June 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#2 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

Laser balance is just bananas right now. New balance overlord obviously has no idea what he's doing.

#3 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

Agreed. This shite is bananas.

#4 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Hard point starvation?

#5 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

View PostDracol, on 28 June 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

Hard point starvation?

Sure a Shadow Cat might use one for the highest possible laser alpha.

You are so right, what a useful weapon.

#6 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 28 June 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

Sure a Shadow Cat might use one for the highest possible laser alpha.

You are so right, what a useful weapon.

I think I'll take my chances with the 2 large pulse shadow cat over the heavy large laser sad cat, given the pulse laser has more range and much better duration for significantly less heat...

#7 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 28 June 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

Laser balance is just bananas right now. New balance overlord obviously has no idea what he's doing.

This. Game is a pointless affair at the moment.

#8 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

i had fun with 4 HML 2ERML.. the 4 give u a nice alpha while the 2 are dps and range if u need it.. 500-600dmg with this setup isnt that hard..

#9 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

Only would be worth taking on low hard point mechs. Seeing this is clan maybe the ice frig?

I'm not to happy have the duration on these.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 29 June 2017 - 10:54 AM.

#10 corpse256

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNebraska, USA

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

Why would you need that many lasers when you can run a Timberwolf with 2 Heavy Medium Lasers(HML) and 2 Heavy Large Lasers(HLL) and 2 Long Range Missile(LRM) 20s. What more do you need? 2 shot ct kills galore.

#11 phoboskomboa

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:13 PM

IMO, there are too many lasers in the game right now with the exact same functionality. Only differences are numbers. It would be nice if they would just give the Heavy lasers a totally different type of functionality. Like an active burn time, where they burn for as long as you hold the trigger, while a gauge builds up working like the rotary autocanons for example. Or give them a gauss-like charge up, and then a relatively fast burn time. Just something so they aren't just another set of numbers on a weapon type that's already overly crowded. Hell, give them a damage cone but offset that by making them good in some other way, high crit chance, for example.

Also, blueshift all of the heavies by a little bit. Small's red should be orange. Medium's green should be teal. Large's light blue should be purple. You should feel like Mace Windu swinging that thing around.

I'm an IS player, but I still like clan mechs, and it seems like the clans really got shafted with very few new and interesting toys to play with.

#12 StormFrog

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

View Postcorpse256, on 29 June 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Why would you need that many lasers when you can run a Timberwolf with 2 Heavy Medium Lasers(HML) and 2 Heavy Large Lasers(HLL) and 2 Long Range Missile(LRM) 20s. What more do you need? 2 shot ct kills galore.

What more do you need? How about a good build with good weapons? Save that bracket build stuff for your tabletop games.

#13 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 28 June 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

Honestly, yeah I get its two tons lighter, but look at the advantages of the 6 ER ML... More damage, more range, lower duration, less crit slots. Not really seeing the point of HMLs given the high duration, low range, and low ghost heat limit.

IMO, the ghost heat limit should be 6 like the rest of the medium lasers in the game.

Clan heavy lasers are absolute unmitigated ****. So bad that it confuses me why they got created this way. Same problem with most the new tech; so terrible. The new PPCs, all bad, most are garbage. There's some small niches for snubs and lights. New Gauss? WTF? RACs? There's no real viable circumstance that you're not better off with UACs or regular ballistics. MRMs? Terrible. ATMs? Low side of mediocre with some huge glaring flaws.

HMGs, conversely, are bordering on OP. Remove their crit multiplier.

Rockets exist as a troll weapon, that's it. Their whole principle is one-shot one (maybe 2 smaller) mechs, then be worthless, taking them and you out of the game. As a game mechanic that's the worst idea you can have for a 12 v 12 team based MOBA environment. It's just going to irritate everyone on both sides.

So much wasted potential. LFEs are sorta nice in a 'makes STD engines worthless' sort of way but they don't compete with CXL in any really meaningful way, doing nothing to fix that balance issue.

Just.... so much bad in this. Gives me the sad.

#14 HeresWhy

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

The Heavy Lasers would find a great niche if they reduced the duration to normal laser levels or slightly above.

Edited by HeresWhy, 29 June 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#15 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 29 June 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

Only would be worth taking on low hard point mechs. Seeing this is clan maybe the ice frig?

I'm not to happy have the duration on these.

low hard point are the worst to take heavys on.. thier long duration puts you at disadvantage.. with alot of hardpoints you can mix and match ER's and heavys.. That way you can have some DPS and range while the heavys are for that huge close punch..

#16 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

the only advantage heavy lasers have is that they use less hardpoints.

so why would you use 4 HML over 6 CERML? well if you only have 4 hardpoints...

theres no other reason.

but even for heavy lasers to get used as a niche weapon when energy hardpoints are limited... they still need their beam durations reduced by about 0.2 seconds each. And the HLL needs its heat reduced from 17 to something more reasonable like 13-14.

Edited by Khobai, 29 June 2017 - 09:48 PM.

#17 AngrySpartan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:52 PM

Been discussing heavies in this topic for a while. To sum up - they are complete trash right now with these duration and cooldowns. They should at least be comparable to DPS and duration of ER models and still will be limited in their application.

I'll quote my post from before:

View PostAngrySpartan, on 29 June 2017 - 06:18 AM, said:

The only place I can imagine for HMLs is to be a replacement to MPLs/ERMLs for hardpoint and tonnage starving fast mechs like MLX or IceBox or ShadowCat. Assuming burn time would be reduced to 1,25 they would be a viable weapon for those mechs, for everyone else ERMLs and MPLs will still be superior:
Burn duration / DMG / Heat / CD / DPS / DPH:
Current HML:____________1,6 / 10 / 8 / 5 / 1,51 / 1,25
Suggested HML stats: __1,25 / 10 / 8,5 /4,5 / 1,73 / 1,17
ERML:_______________1,25 / 7 / 6 / 3,5 / 1,47 / 1,17
MPL:_________________0,9 / 7,5 / 5 / 3 / 1,92 / 1,5

This way HMLs has slightly more DPS than ERMLs and less than MPLs, with less range than either of those. They has the same HPS as ERMLs and still a lot worse than MPLs. And HML low tonnage isn't that important, cause you'll need a lot of heatsinks to offset the heat.

Get max 4 HMLs on the heatscale on top of that and HMLs will be an okay weapon. I doubt Fish balance guy would agree with that though.

Edited by AngrySpartan, 29 June 2017 - 11:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users